Shooting at Damageplan show, two band members dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can vouche for the fact that Dime was in fact a generous cool person who, I feel, was about as talented as they come. I never got a chance to really know him personally but he was always cool and I never heard anyone that I knew who knew him or worked with him say anything remotely bad about him. Anyone I know who ever came to one of his shows or came to his niteclub were treated respectfully and kindly by Darrell and his brother Vinnie. What could possess someone to commit such a heinous crime like this is completely beyond my comprehension. This should never ever EVER happen, especially to people as cool as Dime and his D.P. cohorts. This is a tragedy that will be felt for a long while, I think. My condolences to the band and their family/friends/crew.

I have to add one last bit here...the club that the band played at when this occurred is called The Alrosa Villa. I know of this club, unfortunately. My band personally never performed there, but I have many friends who've played there and people who've worked in road crew at shows there. I know for a fact that this club is basically SHIT. And the security there is lax as well. I've heard complaints before about the back stage loading doors not being properly guarded and cared for, so it's unfortunately not a surprise that something like this could happen. Many clubs have really upped their security procedures in recent times and my respects to them, but obviously these little shit clubs like the Alrosa Villa do not have their shit together, and unfortunately the artists and fans are now paying the price.

Black day for metal everywhere.

On a sidenote, I bet Phil really wishes he didn't say that DBD deserved to be "severly beaten" in a Metal Hammer interview a few weeks back.

Dimebag buddy, you'll always live on in your music

p.s. Thoughts & prayers to go the Abbotts and also Patrick Lachmans family and friends

I've been to plenty of venues with totally lax security, especially the smaller clubs. I've also been to venues where something as trivial as cough drops gets you hassled for 15 minutes by the bouncers.

Niles Darquetona said:
I'm sick of people who are happy when a musician who the don't like dies.

I'm sick of people who whinge about respecting the dead even when said dead guy wasn't respectful in life.

Do you expect me to like every band you like? No? Why do you expect me to care that Dimebag's been shot? I don't pity, nor do I pretend to be what I'm not as to not irritate others. I'm not going to purposefully try to upset you all like Blaphbee, he's just trolling or feeling some kind of triumph, I simply don't care much.

That said, I'm not sure if his death is a particularly good thing as I weigh up the pros and cons.

Contradicting some of the other published eyewitness accounts, Fort Worth Star Telegram is reporting that DAMAGEPLAN drummer Vinnie Paul was also shot in the incident Wednesday night when a gunman ran onstage at a Columbus, Ohio, nightclub and killed Paul's brother, DAMAGEPLAN guitarist Dimebag Darrell.

A woman who answered the phone at Dimebag Darrell's home in Dalworthington Gardens late Wednesday said the family was waiting for official confirmation of the brothers' conditions, according to the Fort Worth Star Telegram.

A witness told The Associated Press that the gunman sought out Dimebag Darrell, 38, and shot him five or six times at close range. The gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician, the AP reported.

Gary Stinnett, who got to know Dimebag Darrell while working at radio station 93.3 The Bone in 2002 and 2003, said he heard about the shooting when one of the band's road crew members called his brother from the club.

"He said the police were keeping everyone backstage and that they were still trying to figure out who else was shot," said Stinnett, who now manages a band. "He said some guy just jumped on the stage and [started] shooting at the band and that Darrell was killed."

Stinnett said he had just seen DAMAGEPLAN perform Nov. 4 at the Ridglea Theater. He said Darrell Abbott's death is going to devastate rock music lovers in Texas.

"Every local band in Dallas-Fort Worth looked up to those guys," Stinnett said. "He was huge."

Columbus police department spokeswoman Sherry Mercurio identified three of the victims of Wednesday's ( Dec. 8 ) shooting at a Columbus nightclub as "Dimebag" Darrell Abbott, guitarist with the heavy metal rock band DAMAGEPLAN, and two other men, Nathan Bray and Erin Halk, according to the Associated Press.

DAMAGEPLAN had just begun their first song at the Alrosa Villa when the man opened fire, first targeting Abbott, shooting him multiple times at point-blank range, a witness said.

The witness, 22-year-old Chris Couch, said he was standing about 30 feet away from the stage when he noticed a man wearing a hooded sweatshirt and hockey jersey walk up to the stage, followed by a bouncer and another club employee.

The man in the jersey climbed onto the stage, started yelling and shot the guitarist five or six times at close range, Couch said. He said the gunman also shot a bouncer who pulled him off the musician.

Columbus police spokesman Sgt. Brent Mull said that after shooting at members of the band, the gunman fired into the crowd. Mull said a police officer who arrived shortly after the shooting began shot and killed the gunman.

"If the officer wasn't as close as he was, I think this would have been a lot worse," he said. "It was a chaotic scene, just a horrific scene."

Mull said more people could have been shot and left the scene before authorities arrived.

After the shooting began, Couch and a friend headed for the exit along with a tide of hundreds of fans.

"It was definitely a grudge. It was against something," Couch said.

Amanda Stankus, 19, who attended the show with Couch, said she initially thought the shooting was part of the show. "I just saw the guitarist fall down, and we decided to get out of there," she said.

Can't believe it!

...you go to a gig to see your favourite band, or go to play for your fans as normal when suddenly some fucked up person with a gun decides he's gonna shoot at the musicians and fans!!!! It's just crazy!

A really sad day for the metal community.
My thoughts go out to friends and family of the muscians and fans who died.

I can't believe this either, it truly sucks.

What I want to know is why people get so fucking attached to certain things that when they are taken away, their world falls apart? Just because Pantera broke up, this asshole goes and shoots Dimebag(at least thats the reason I heard)? If that was the reason then he really should of shot Phil and Rex, since all reports I read lead me to believe they were the reasons for Pantera's demise.

Fucking head case....

I've just gotta say, I admire the way that the members of this board have retained the maturity and intelligence to respect Dimebag, fan or not (obvious idiots excluded).

Guardian of Darkness said:
I'm sick of people who whinge about respecting the dead even when said dead guy wasn't respectful in life.

Do you expect me to like every band you like? No? Why do you expect me to care that Dimebag's been shot? I don't pity, nor do I pretend to be what I'm not as to not irritate others. I'm not going to purposefully try to upset you all like Blaphbee, he's just trolling or feeling some kind of triumph, I simply don't care much.

That said, I'm not sure if his death is a particularly good thing as I weigh up the pros and cons.
GoD- You are the dumbest kid I have ever talked with, if barely.

mm another 3 bullets could potentially be a pantera reunion (that was a bad joke but sorry i just have to let that out lolololol)

damn shame dimebag had to die under these circumstances but i'm pissed off that the wrong person got killed, if anything varg should be the one left for dead in a pool of blood. I hope one day varg will be prison fvcked by a pack of angry black men and strangled to death by a rope thereafter, THEN HE WOULD KNOW WHAT IT FEELS LIKE TO BE DEAD!!!!

oh yeah a toast to my nigga dimebag, i'll see ya when someone busta cap on me bro

Status
Not open for further replies.