Should Nevermore ditch the 7 strings?

Should Nevermore ditch the 7's?

• Keep em, I like my metal down low!

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • 7 strings are the bane of metal!

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Everyone uses 7s, Meshuggah uses 8s... BRING ON THE 9 STRINGS!

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
My 5 string bass had 130 gage B. didn't stop me from running the board and the guitar player in my old band had a 7 string and it didn't stop him from doing arpaigeos (spelling ??) and shredding. In my opion, if any thing is going to slow someone down it would be the neck, and even that is not that big of a slow down.

I'd like to make one more contribution to the 7-string "carvers" mentioned above. Peter Tägtgren (Hypocrisy) plays one and he even drops the tuning insanely low on some songs and still manages to get a great sound of it.

I also think that the most 7-string bands are crap because the players don't know how to use them. I always thought it would be a great idea if people had to take an exam on the privilege to use one. The exam could be for example to play a solo. That would atleast cut all the nu-metal bands out. :devil:

On Jeff using the 7-string: Well it's better to have some changes than none. Keeps it more interesting. I've gotten bored with so many bands these past years because they've taken the safe route and started to tread the same tracks. I doubt very much that EOR will sound like DHIDW if Andy Sneap isn't involved.

Keep the 7 strings. I think it gives them a bit more freedom, and also, It's all about whos playing the strings. Player in question being Jeff Loomis, a man who can use 4 strings (like Max Cavalera) and pull out a masterpiece. Or can have most of his strings snap on stage, and still finish the song perfectly.... Well ok, I'm sayin too much, but Jeff Loomis is a Guitar God. And he knows how to use a 7 string, and use it well.
So like I said, keep the 7's.

I haven't been pain attention, but in EoR also being recorded with a 7 string?

Now that I think about it, I would much rather Loomis play a Baritone (sp?). That way I wouldn't have to keep my seven string, thus eliminating the pain in my wrist I get when I attempt to shred to engines of hate. :cool: Sounds like a plan.

hmmm, i was pretty sure carcass was tuned to b natural. i'll have to look that one up. the same goes for at the gates. both those bands used 6 string guitars. so they couldn't hit notes as high as loomis can on a 7 string...oh well, as long as the new album is good.

Jeff does better tahn most on teh 7stringers. BUt yeah, teh 7 string just doesnt sound as cool, just not as good as the otehr albums.

Originally posted by the alumnus
hmmm, i was pretty sure carcass was tuned to b natural. i'll have to look that one up. the same goes for at the gates. both those bands used 6 string guitars. so they couldn't hit notes as high as loomis can on a 7 string...oh well, as long as the new album is good.

They were tuned to Bflat from what i remember.

Every nu-metal -band that uses 7-strings degrade the guitars value in real metal world. Everyone immeditialy draws a conclusion that they're somewhat of a nu-metal -band. Agreeing with Distorted: They should totally take a test to determine their worthiness to use that seventh string. :devil:
You can do so much if you have one extra string... :cry: