Similar band suggestions?

Lambo_Diablo_Svtt

New Metal Member
Jun 20, 2008
So, Since I see a few of us here know bands like Harmony/Darkwater along with Theocracy.... are there any other bands that are similar in terms of style and lyrics that you know of? I'm always looking to expand my library of music, and this is some of my favorite stuff. So, list any bands you can think of that are similar.

I'd recommend Circus Maximus, and Wingdom, check out their myspaces, they're both progressive metal, and more similar to Darkwater than Theocracy, but I think you'll like it.

Try Rob Rock and Jacobs Dream, those are the only 2 other Christian power metal bands I am able to enjoy without laughing at them, all the other ones I've heard are way too cheesy. And Rob Rock is actually relatively cheesy too (not as bad as most Christian power metal though), but the awesome guitars and well put together songs make up for it. Jacobs Dream has a different vocal style, but I'm still willing to classify them as power metal (then again, I'm not the best at classifying bands). Anyway check those two out and see if you like them.

For a pure power metal sound try Oratorio or Seventh Avenue, but I'm sure most of you here already know about them, tho I don't think they're similar to Theocracy that much...

Christian Progressive Metal works too, it doesnt have to just be power metal.

So far Rob Rock does sound awesome. Keep in mind though, I like some good 'ol cheesy stuff like Stryper too. They work though because they were the originals. :D

*EDIT*

Heres the majority of the proggy stuff I have, christian or not.

Dream Theater (everything, almost everything related)
Symphony X (last 4 albums)
Neal Morse (last 3 studio albums)
Harmony (Dreaming Awake)
I have some Opeth but... I'm not crazy about them.
Rush (2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves)
Fates Warning (A Pleasant Shade of Gray)
Boston *yes, I consider them pseudo-prog* (most everything)
Nightwish (Once)
Stevie Vai *so crazy he HAS to be considered progressive* (Passion and Warfare)
Metallica *yes, im listing them as prog... S&M alone justifies them on this list* (almost everything)

So... that in mind, what else would you reccomend based on these? My favorite type of singers are those like Russel Allen from Symphony X, powerful with an amazing range.

The question is... are there any other good christian prog/power metal bands that are actually good? There seems to be a major lack of these types of bands... :cry:

All 4 that I've listed so far in my earlier posts :p
But for a band that's not Christian I can recommend Manticora (a blend of Progressive, Power and Thrash). The vocalist's brother is a minister, and they do have an album called 8 Deadly Sins, so I'm pretty sure they're on good speaking terms with the man above. ^^

Their* lyrics are pro-Christian, and vary from stuff that's optimistically life oriented (like the song Alive) and emotional stuff like Zero.
Look into it yourself :p
so lazy...

Well, It's easier to ask someone who already knows. XD

So they're more like Dream Theater? Never Anti-Christian, but more of just neutral until religeon comes up, then they present it in a christian way?

Suggestions you might like based on what you posted:

Iced Earth's The Glorious Burden: Not a fan of Iced Earth generally speaking but this album is brilliant. Not many prog-metal albums that deal with the American Civil War.

Kamelot's Epica & Black Halo: Double concept album that retells a modern version of Faust.

Nightwish's Dark Passion Play: If you like Once, give this a chance. Some great stuff.

Sonata Arctica's Unia: Not a fan of the older stuff, but Unia is great.

Blind Guardian: Power metal that dabbles in prog metal. If you are a Tolkien fan don't miss Nightfall in Middle Earth.

And since you mentioned Metallica, I'd say check out Megadeth's The System has Failed and United Abominations. Not prog but good stuff from a revitalized Dave Mustaine.

And let's round it out with a couple of rarer suggestions...

Disciple's This Might Sting A Little: A little Megadeth, a little Rage against the Machine, all out Christian aggressive metal. Their more recent stuff is on the main stream side but Sting is a classic for me.

Extreme's Three Side to Every Story: If you are a prog fan, the last four tracks on this album are some of the best prog-rock that nobody talks about.

Kamelot's Epica & Black Halo: Double concept album that retells a modern version of Faust.
This seems brilliant, I might check it out.

Although I'm not too keen on your suggestion of Iced Earth, since Jon Schaffer is a dedicated anti-Christian.

Try Metatrone.. an italian christian power/progressive metal band .. They did an awesome album called "The powerful hand", signed for Scarlet Records ( Vision Divine.. )

Oh yeah, I forgot about Seventh Avenue, they're definitely higher quality than most Christian power metal bands as well. I need to get some of their CDs, they're really good.

Besides those already mentioned you may also check out:

- HB Melodic Metal with female vocals - http://www.myspace.com/hbmetal
(check out the songs "God has all glory" and "Be aware" - the new song sounds different)

- Impellitteri - the albums with Rob Rock on vocals have christian lyrics

- Teramaze - Their albums are pretty different in style. I think "Tears to dust" could be something for you - check out the song "Shadows" on their myspace site to get an impression from that album: http://www.myspace.com/teramaze

- Majestic Vanguard - http://www.myspace.com/majesticvanguard

- Reinxeed - http://www.myspace.com/reinxeednorth

...but Theocracy is the best IMO!

Try Metatrone.. an italian christian power/progressive metal band .. They did an awesome album called "The powerful hand", signed for Scarlet Records ( Vision Divine.. )
Actually, Metatrone is a Catholic Power Metal band, Which is pretty much the same, just with small differences. Musically it's a great CD, If I'm not mistaken there is an English version and an Italian version of the cd...