Similar band suggestions?

And being Catholic makes you a non-Christian how exactly?

If Christian = Evangelical in theology, then Catholics aren't Christian. This is something both Evangelicals and Catholics generally agree on. The theology of the two groups is pretty different in a lot of ways even though they obviously share the same root. The most drastic difference is the authority and infallibility of the Pope. This is not a judgement, just an explanation of the issue.

If Christian = Jesus is Savior, then Catholics are very much Christian. This is also something both groups will agree on.

Practically speaking I find the best starting point is to consider anybody who claims Jesus as Lord Christian, unless they specifically ask me to consider them differently.

Although I'm not too keen on your suggestion of Iced Earth, since Jon Schaffer is a dedicated anti-Christian.

This is true and is part of the reason I don't like Iced Earth's other stuff. But mostly I don't like IE because their lyrics are like a bad LR Hubbard novel set to prog metal.

However, The Glorious Burden I make an exception for. Its a truly powerful album. For the most part it is a more of a documentary approach to various wars set to prog metal culminating in a 3-part song on the American Civil War with a strong focus on the Battle of Gettysburg.

Each movement in the song corresponds to a movement of troops on the field or a tactic employed by the north or south. It also takes a look, respectfully, at both sides.

I've never encountered anything else in prog metal like it (though hopefully there is).

Uhh no.
Catholicism is a denomination of Christianity. Plain and simple.

Don't kill it by making a million little sub-groups. We're supposed to be united by our common faith in the same God, not segregated from each other with some petty differences.

Don't get me wrong, my point was to make it clear that they are catholics and they are very proud of it and I am fond of their music, it is that I do like to investigate bands further, let's remember that religion is not the salvation, Jesus is. No criticism nor segmentation in my post at all.

ya landaverde other religions would find that very offensive and its just very very lame :/

Okay then :p

But your signature is kind of harsh... Faith oughtn't be an ultimatum or a force-fed man-made law.

Sure thing, It is a quote from one of my fav bands and a t-shirt I proudly own, Vengeance Rising - white throne (My avatar image). You can find statements like this on the bible, and at the end it's a matter of believe and choose. For instance Revelation 20:15 which I'm not quoting now but it says pretty much the same.

Back in time it was hard for me to get into all this crude way to say things as Vengeance Rising was used to do but I'm ok with that now.

I see your point, and I understand. And as a token of respect, I'm changing my quote to other :saint:

uh huh

While the group was a ground breaking Christian metal band, nowadays Vengeance Rising is known for vocalist Martinez' turning from Christianity to satanism to atheism.

In the mid 1990s, Martinez left the Christian faith, telling HM that he was a committed atheist in 1997.[2] Today, Martinez has obtained rights to the band name for future projects. According to Scott Waters and Steve Rowe, Martinez began to make tapes counteracting the tapes he made during his Christian career. He created a website that renounced his previous output and posted articles portraying Christian leaders in a negative light. Martinez then began making death threats to individuals he claimed "stabbed him in the back," which included friend Steve Rowe of Mortification, a band Martinez helped get their first record contract.

Although he has stated that he is currently working on future material to be released under the name "Vengeance Rising" with more of an anti-Christian, Satanic Atheism theme,[2][8] no albums have been released. Vocalist Scott Waters of Ultimatum and "Once Dead" stated on his metal music review website that "Allmusic lists two releases... both of which I doubt ever existed... Former drummer Shannon Frye claims that Roger was impossible to work with and could not hold on to members long enough to even record a demo." He also claims that Martinez only kept the name of Vengeance Rising because of "continued curiosity from metal fans and Christians alike."

After the September 11, 2001 attacks occurred, Martinez offered free albums from his website for military personnel to encourage a "holy war against Christians." Former fans and critics believe this to be an attack on former bandmates and Christianity, due to the straining situation of debt that he was left with when band members departed after the "Once Dead Tour".

Actually, Metatrone is a Catholic Power Metal band, Which is pretty much the same, just with small differences. Musically it's a great CD, If I'm not mistaken there is an English version and an Italian version of the cd...

yes.. you're right... before the sign for Scarlet Records, they did an italian version of the album... they come from my hometown - Catania (sicily) .. Italy.. i kept in touch with the keyboard player and the great singer Joe Lombardo ( also in Orion Riders.. check them )

Try Metatrone.. an italian christian power/progressive metal band .. They did an awesome album called "The powerful hand", signed for Scarlet Records ( Vision Divine.. )

Thank you for this recommendation! I had never heard of these guys before. I’ve been listening to their songs online this afternoon and they rule! I just listened to The Rock 10+ times in a row :headbang:

I just ordered the album.

And to top it off, they have my metal name in their lyrics!

From The Rock:

"You’re watching me every day
You give me quietness
The safest shore in the seastorm :cool:
In which I can rest"

I agree, I had never heard of them before and now I love them. A lot of songs on their cd are great :)

Sonata Arctica's Unia: Not a fan of the older stuff, but Unia is great.

Utter blasphemy; the older stuff is SO much better. :lol: :headbang:

What can I add? Well, in terms of SOUND, Edguy and Avantasia haven't been mentioned--I know Tobias is a big influence on Matt (and it shows, in a good way!). BUT--if you're really touchy about themes, it might not be a good idea. Each group's older stuff takes potshots at Catholic dogmatism (though not really at religious belief in general). Bottom line: definitely not Christian metal, but really good stuff.

On the flip side, if you like Jon Schaefer' stuff but need Hansi's Christian perspective to temper his more humanistic views, check out their collab Demons and Wizards.

I would suggest Angra. Since they are from Brazil, they are in a culture that is heavily Catholic. While not professing themselves as Catholics, you'll find their music is generally positive towards God in a universalism sense.

As the self-proclaimed Number One Angra Fan I can lay on some extra info about their views on religion, hehe.
I can assure you all that Angra's vocalist Edu Falaschi is a Christian. Even tho he doesn't attend church he does believe in God (plus he carries a large shiny cross around his neck :p). The former vocalist Andre Matos is quite religious, and it's clearly noticeable in some of the lyrics. The founding member, and guitar player, Rafael Bittencourt seems to be a Christian even tho he WAS the author of the story behind the album, Temple of Shadows.

Temple of Shadows tells a tale about a young crusader who starts to doubt his way of life, his meaning and his role in the Churches plans, after a while he founds his own religion. More on that on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_Shadows

The basic idea of the story, according to it's writer Rafael, isn't to make an anti-Christian statement, only to make you think a about it all. To make your brain question some aspects of the Church and the general meaning of life.

More on it later, if you're interested.

Great info. I was at a power metal show this last weekend (Avian) and a bunch of youngsters were all over me for not being into Angra. I promised I'd check 'em out, so this is good timing on this info ;)

Utter blasphemy; the older stuff is SO much better. :lol: :headbang:

There is just something about the vocals and arrangements of the older work that aren't my cup o' tea. No doubt their old work is very good in the musical sense, just not to my taste.

On the flip side, if you like Jon Schaefer' stuff but need Hansi's Christian perspective to temper his more humanistic views, check out their collab Demons and Wizards.

Love Demons & Wizards. Some excellent stuff there.