Since its almost December and we've all heard most of everything...

I actually think June/July of the following year, is a better time to post Top 10 lists, than December of the current year. January 2007 releases have had 11 months to even build momentum or fail to stand the test of time. And with that in mind, it makes it difficult to compare CDs released in Q4 to those released in Q1.

Zod

I have to say for me....in no order because those are vaginas in fact. =)

Threshold - Dead Reckoning
Symphony X - Paradise Lost
Monster Magnet - 4-Way Diablo
Primal Fear - New Religion
edit: duh.....Megadeth - United Abominations

I agree that it is premature to be playing the Best-of-2007 game, but I'll jump right in and say that the best album I've heard this year by far is Porcupine Tree's "Fear of a Blank Planet". The writing, vibe, and performances are just brilliant. It's not as good as "In Absentia," but it's damn close.

NP: Depeche Mode "Exciter"

I think right now my top 5 would look like this. Michael .. he's those thoughts you requested.

#1 Amorphis - Silent Waters -- Their last disc Eclipse caught my attention, and this one is somewhat of a continuation of that sound, but quite possibly might be a little stronger overall album. I like the mix of many genres that can be found here. They are a bit phychedelic, progressive, folkish, with great melodies, and a nice mix of clean and growly vox.

#2 Threshold - Dead Reckoning -- I think this is their best disc. It was my #1 for quite a while, but the Mac departure led me to minimize the disc enough for it to drop below Amorphis. I think the fact that this disc is more straight forward is the reason I like it best. Threshold can be a bit long winded in past efforts, but on this disc they found the perfect formula for me.

#3 Kamelot - Ghost Opera -- I like mid tempo - somewhat experimental sounding Kamelot. A good number of tracks on this disc fall into that category, and I love it. This is my favorite from them since Karma. Some people want to see Kamelot change things up ... I think they did just that on this disc. It seems fresh to me.

#4 Devin Townsend - Ziltoid The Omniscient -- The first I heard this disc I kind of laughed a little, but as I listened to it I still laughed, but appreciated the entire concept, sound, lyrics .. everything. It's the first DT material I've every really liked. I'd love to see a concert from Devin featuring a full prodcution of ZTO .. it would be a riot.

#5 Eldritch - Blackenday - This disc has a couple others nipping at it's heals for this #5 spot, but for the time being I'll stick with it. I never heard these guys in their early years so I don't have that bias when judging their more recent discs. I own their last three .. I like each, but this is the best of that bunch. I like their uniqueness .. I don't think there's another band that sounds like these guys. The guitarist is a real standout for me ... some great, great solos to be found here.

Britt

Rapid Eye Movement (by Riverside) would be my clear winner for the year. The only other albums that came close were Isolate, God's Equation and perhaps Fiction.

And I can agree with MetalRose, there are quite a few older releases I got around to checking out this year that have received more spins than anything new from this year.

I've only heard 6 or 7 albums this year, but my favorite is still the new Thunderstone. You know I REALLY like an album, when I rate it higher than the Morgana Lefay album from the same year. :)

circus maximus - isolate takes the cake

runner ups:
primal fear - new religion
therion - gothic kabbalah
planet x - quantum

#1 Most listened to album is hands down Nighwish, Dark Passion Play. Since the day I got the promo, I must have listened to it at least twice a day. Then I went and bought another copy for the artwork (and band support) and then another copy that I had signed by the band as a coming home present for Ben. I finally reached the point this week where I don't listen to it every day.

#2 Amorphis Silent Waters. This band just keeps growing on me.

#3 Machine Men Circus Of Fools. I'd give almost anything to see this band live.

#4 Kotipelto Serenity. Most here will find that an odd choice, but as I said in another thread, it's easy to listen to in the car and since I drive a lot for work, it's played often. Not innovative or very metal, but I like Timo's voice and the tunes are catchy.

Epica - The Divine Conspiracy for me.

I simply LOVE this album. I understand some people are a little disappointed with it, but it has to be my top album of 2007. Just the combination of everything the album has to offer, despite the identity crisis on "Never Enough".

Plus, the fact that both men have come to the point where Sander Gommans can guest on the track "Death Of A Dream" just made that song one of my favorites of the entire year.

My #1 for the year has been there for most of the year: Dream Theater's Systematic Chaos. That's saying something since IMO, they haven't had a great album in years. While it doesn't break new ground for them, the songs themselves are pretty much flawless.

Jason

#1 Most listened to album is hands down Nighwish, Dark Passion Play. Since the day I got the promo, I must have listened to it at least twice a day. Then I went and bought another copy for the artwork (and band support) and then another copy that I had signed by the band as a coming home present for Ben. I finally reached the point this week where I don't listen to it every day.

#2 Amorphis Silent Waters. This band just keeps growing on me.

#3 Machine Men Circus Of Fools. I'd give almost anything to see this band live.

#4 Kotipelto Serenity. Most here will find that an odd choice, but as I said in another thread, it's easy to listen to in the car and since I drive a lot for work, it's played often. Not innovative or very metal, but I like Timo's voice and the tunes are catchy.

You whorebots needs to follow directions better. I clearly said focus on your single favorite album and try and explain why you picked that one over all the others :). There are plenty of top 10s of 2007 or favorite albumS of 2007 threads. This one is an exercise to see what people REALLY like and why.

The Michael

You whorebots needs to follow directions better. I clearly said focus on your single favorite album and try and explain why you picked that one over all the others :). There are plenty of top 10s of 2007 or favorite albumS of 2007 threads. This one is an exercise to see what people REALLY like and why.

The Michael
I went back, and added some comments to my top 5. I kind of failed to read your request the first time thru, and just did a stupid list. Now I've added some reasoning for my choices.

Britt

So many releases, so little time....oh, and money.

Of the releases I have picked up.....

Darkwater: Calling the Earth to Witness

....is by far my favorite.