Single Most Powerful moment in an Opeth song

surprised to see only one mention for the end of tnatsw. single-handedly, especially on the ws tour where it's extended even more.

^ I remember that in The Night and the Silent Water there's is a damn epic moment (I forgot about it...) somewhere in the beginning (well, after maybe like 2 or 3 minutes). It's one riff that plays like 2-4 times I think, but wow! :worship:

I second the "Outside in the park" verse... though I agree that "knew" instead of "known" is really a shame.

The accelerated final few bars in the main part of "Heir Apparent," before the outro.

End of "Weakness."

Last minute of "The Grand Conjuration."

Last 4 minutes of "Blackwater Park."

"You have nothing more to find... you have nothing more to lose"--and onward all the way to the end of "Karma."

"Help me cure you..."--the acoustic middle section of "Bleak."

Some;

-REVERIE
-Nectar intro
-BTM intro
-MLV intro
-GHL calm parts
-BTPISIO "nothing ever changes" -part
-TLE solo
-HP intro
-Deliverance outro
-all of Wreath
-later parts of Closure

And etcetc...

Each and every one would die at my hand
Choking in warm ponds of blood
At last, weak and torn, I went down
Drained from strength, flickering breath

and the solo following it
:kickass:

btw guys the title is THE SINGLE MOST POWERFUL, so thats what you should do. a list of fucking 10 songs doesnt say which really touches you the most

fuck the whole song is one major climax

Passages that give me goosebumps:

- That guitar part after "raven face...she said my naaame!!!
- The final melody of "In the mist she was standing"
- "though I could not leave this place on this..."
- The Moor intro
- "silent dance with death...everything is lost....." That guitar riff is so dark!!!
- The melodic intro of Forest of October

..and many others!!!!

Cheers!

In A fair judgement the "leave it be..." part Once did somehow move me. (though haven't did since that).

And then there was another song, but I think it was another band.
I think it was So fern so nah by Subway to Sally. (btw. what does it mean...?)

It is quite impossible to pick just one single most powerful moment in a discography littered with, you guessed it, powerful moments. So here are a few of my choices in random order.

"The Moor": From beginning to end, this is just one solid 12 minute block of power/awesomeness +4. A perfect composition. Each part leading to the next is powerful, the lyrics are among Opeth's best, the clean parts are the shit, everything is just major smoking hardon, except the longish intro.

"Serenity Painted Death": The chorus is fucking powerful.

April Ethereal and When's brutal opening minutes are so full of awesome.

The blast-beat verses of The Lotus Eater. Very powerful.

And so I could probably continue until I came to the few Opeth-songs I don't like. Opeth itself is a powerful entity of mass erectio.n.

The wind cried a lamentation..
Before merging with the graaaay!

And the chords behind those. The distorted G9 and F9 chords, not the acoustic bridge thingy.

Face of Melinda. The middle of the song where the power chrods come in. The band might as well have machine guns in their hands.

End of Deliverance

the beginning of "the baying of the hounds" gives me goosebumps 00:00 - 00:50 aprox

the beginning of "the baying of the hounds" gives me goosebumps 00:00 - 00:50 aprox

The riff under the guitar solo in Baying of the Hounds (6:52 to 7:18) is too awesome to describe with words.

I have to say, I was a skeptic on the topic of keyboards on a metal context, but Per's work has made me a believer.

I know it's supposed to be single........but come on this is OPETH we're talking about here!

Heavy: The drum fill after the acoustic flanger in Serenity Painted Death where Mikael shrieks, "Darkness reared its head, tearing within the reeling haze!"
Soft: The outro acoustic solo in Patterns in the Ivy II

Did anyone mention "Deafening shrieks pierce the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight" yet? That's way up there.

so far, so close

Thank you, I did thought of that but I was too lazy to check it out. :lol:

More offtopic, I think I'm going to self-learn germany in the summer, because I love Sts, and it's be interesting to understand that interview on A twist in the myth's 2CD version.

1. that riff around 1:15 into Under the Weeping Moon is brilliant. all time favorite, and defining opeth moment for me.

2. that little ascending scale a couple minutes into the live version of When on TRHT, right after the first verse.

3. When, on the line, "to find my way back home". just the way he sings it is phenomenal. i get chills every time.

4.DEMONNNNNNN!! DEMON OF THE FALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!

5.THEEEEEEE GRANDDDDDDDDDDDDD COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON JUUUUUUUUUUUUUU RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TIOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!

sorry, i really couldnt give just ONE most powerful moment. thats impossible.