Slate CLA Expanion for 99 bucks, worth it?

http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/cla.php

Are the blackbird samples a better bang? And will those expansions work with SSD4 Custom?

Really love the preview of the David Bendeth expansion, but only 3 snares for the same price...

haven't yet bought blackbird but i can def recommend the cla expansion. i think its super versatile and you get a lot of options with all those mics. i use it almost everytime i use drumsamples in a mix. they also blend quite nice i think.
david bendeth is a bit of a disapointment though it's not as bad as everyone says imo.

i think the expensions work with every version of ssd4 cause the player is the same and you just add licence files to make the library work. i'm not 100% sure but i think it was that way when i had only ex.

The CLA expansion is one of the most well liked SSD expansions, probably the most well received before the Blackbird release. I personally like it.

The David Bendeth expansion thread was filled with tons of drama after the whole Mike Ugnustics thing, but the samples themselves sound pretty usable IMO. I think some stated that they were more useful to blend. The price, however (like the misleading information about what was included), and Steven's perhaps unethical approach to the demos being processed and not raw is where most of the negative opinions originated from.

I've got the CLA pack which gets used occasionally for pop/rock projects. I also got deluxe as a freebie in a competition but never use it. I prefer the stuff Toontrack is coming out with tbh.

I would just skip all the expansions and go with every one of the Nashville samples for $35. I don't find the way that Slate separates all his TCIs out to be useful in any way, shape, or form and I haven't been super impressed with the actual tones once things get in the mix.

I would just skip all the expansions and go with every one of the Nashville samples for $35. I don't find the way that Slate separates all his TCIs out to be useful in any way, shape, or form and I haven't been super impressed with the actual tones once things get in the mix.

Don't have any Slate expansion packs and DO like the regular ol' SSD samples a lot, but I want to say +1 for the Nashville stuff. The samples are GREAT.

I have the nashville kicks which only have 4 samples, they cannot really be used for metal on their own. maybe as oneshots to blend in. OP might have a higher expectation these days.

I have the nashville kicks which only have 4 samples, they cannot really be used for metal on their own. maybe as oneshots to blend in. OP might have a higher expectation these days.

Really? I use Kick A a lot as the heavy part of a blend and it does just fine. Trigger2 instead of Battery or whatever as the engine helps with realism since it varies volume for velocity a bit in addition to rotating the samples randomly.

I meant that it is not a direct replacement for a multisampled slate kick, double bass parts won't work with it. It needs to be blended one way or another, that is how you use it as well. I only mentioned oneshot as MetalMiller has SSD in which that is the only option. Or using a secondary engine as you say.

I like the cla and the blackbird stuff. Toontrack is good, too. The Metal Machinery is fine, too. Bfd Oblivion and Evil Drums are also worth. It all depends what you are looking for, every package sounds a bit different, but those packages do a good job... even addictive drums; but i like that more in a indie - rock genre.

For metal, my order is:

OHs: MetalFoundry -> MadeOfMetal -> MetalMachine

Toms: SD.2 Avatar -> Slate (standard ones) -> MetalMachine/MadeOfMetal

Kick: Slate (10 ;)) -> Tontrack (Avatar...)

Snare: Most of the blend of Toontrack (Avatar, MadeOfMetal, MetalMachine) and custom samples (own Frankensnares, Nashville, Alesis D4..., various other stuff)

Room: Slate (20, 20a, 4) Teldex scoring stage (Altiverb)

Reverb: freeverb2 (Tail), MeldaReverb (Early)

Compression: SSL4K, Api2500 (don´nt like FET comps. on shells, personal taste)