Slipknot

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfantChaos

Enemy Of Satan
Nov 6, 2007
your local deli!
Ok i know that the band slipknot is a pretty sensitive topic among metalheads, but i happen to be a big fan of them.

And so far, the people that i have asked, they have all said they dont like them for one reason only... they wear masks.

And the question i ask you is, wat the fuck is that such a big deal? the masks they wear are symbols of their state of mind and their life. And as for their music, everyone has told me that they are nu-metal sellouts, and i partly agree with them when i hear songs such as duality, but they i say 'fuck you, try listening to their better songs' like The Heretic Anthem, Wait and Bleed, and Disasterpeice.

now try and give me a good reason why slipknot shouldn't be called 'real metal'.

There are many reasons for not liking Slipknot:
1. The shit ridden angst and pitiful lyrics
(same could be said about many other bands, but those bands typically suck anyway)
2. Band members who aren't necessarily needed.
3. Extreme hip-hop influence (including flat out rapping in their first album I believe)
4. The instrumental trifecta of death: powerchords, powerchords, & powerchords!
5. Their gay ass fans; typically I wouldn't blame a band for the people they attract, but Slipknot promotes retards like cocaine promotes weight loss.

And as to why it isn't "metal", well, it's quite simple: It doesn't sound like any genre of metal - not death, not black, not thrash, not doom, not classic, not power, not anything. Sure, some portion of their music may be considered metal (distorted guitars do not equal metal btw, I'm actually talking about composition), the fact is it isn't a large part of their sound. And if you count the large nu-metal wave they rode in on with bands such as Korn, Limp Bizkit, Mushroomhead, and other crap like that, it's not hard to see why most people think they are utter shit.

There are a lot of reasons, but yeah - fuck it.

Ok, i can now see why people dont like it. But i stand by what i said earlier, try listening to some of their better songs eg; disasterpeice, left behind, wait and bleed, the heretic anthem, people=shit, and so on. And they don't 'sound like any genre of metal' because they are a unique band and its kind of hard to co-ordinate a 9 peice band into sounding like thrash, death, doom or black metal.

I would also like to add that it is quite admirable that they were able to create a 9-peice that actually worked and became a huge band.

As for their early rapping, i agree with that, it sucks balls. But some of their rap songs can be classified as metal, eg; spit it out. So people, please listen to some of these songs before calling slipknot, crappy sellout losers

I had to deal with this shit all through highschool with people I hung out with; trust me when I say there is a reason why I prefer bands like Infester and Grave over this.

I've heard the songs, and they have failed in my ears. Does that mean other people can't like the band? No, not at all.

Yes, i agree with that, I'm not trying to make people love Slipknot, im just trying to justify why others like them, and why they dont deserve to be ridiculed by metalheads just because they are 'nu-metal'

That's odd, thesaurus.com states that nu-metal is synonymous with ridicule & shame.

I'm kind of forced to agree; then again I'm totally buzzed and feeling kind of elitist... which is odd because I'm listening to Kansas :lol:

why do these crap threads always repeat themselves?

Because history rhymes nigga :kickass:

I will admit to having listened to them a bit, though I can say that I was never really a fan. Definately not one of their maggots.

Slipknot are hated because they've got alot of undue attention. Generally people consider them to be the most brutal and heavy band around, when it simply isn't true. They get alot of bad press for things they've allegiedly done, when bands that really have done terrible things are mostly unheard of.

The music itself isn't that bad. The masks are a gimmick, but again not that bad. The fans are wankers, but then so are alot of Skinless' fans.

I honestly think most people would have a heart attack if they had any idea about the brutality of the Death Metal scene.

I've only heard two songs & I'm not interested in their music. I kinda don't 100% get why they're not considered "Metal"... I think 75% of it has to do with the fact that they're just not included in the whole Metal scene. There are bands that might not be as heavy as them but are still welcomed in the Metal scene. I can't think of any good examples right now, but maybe a really good portion of Devin Townsend's solo work would fall easily in this category.

It's really a controversial topic. There are a ton of people out there who consider Godsmack Metal. Now Godsmack is where I would draw the line, but from what I heard Slipknot is heavier. They're just not included in the scene.

I know a guy who used to argue that Slayer weren't Metal. To him only bands like Inhumación, Dead Silent Slumber & Intentional Menslaughter are real Metal as to where bands like Metallica, Emperor & Cannibal Corpse are nothing but posers & imitators who deserve Death. It's all in how you're brought by others to perceive it.

Sure Slipknot probably suck dick & don't belong in the scene, but they still probably have plenty in common with Metal at times. I've only heard two of their songs though, so all their other songs could be like Jimmy Buffet ballads & I wouldn't know & don't care. To be honest, I can't even remember what they sound like exactly, so I wouldn't be a good judge of this. I am familiar with KoRn's first two albums though, & I know they did some stuff I would say sounded like Metal to me. Slipknot is lumped in with KoRn these days, right?

^:lol: I used to love that song, they're definitely not metal now, but still their first 2 albums sound a lot more metallic than any Nu Metal there was, I used to really like them. Something about the guitar, bass, and drum attack made me wanna go crazy back then, but their brutality is nothing compared to stuff like Vital Remains or Cryptopsy, their riffs are about as basic as Six Feet Under, except not as good as that band at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.