Slow, plodding, depressing shit

False Joe

Who cares.
Oct 12, 2007
Sheep fucking land somewhere.
Looked at some grunge.
Eh.

I'm looking for depressing sounding, kinda plodding (Nirvana - "Come as you are" or "Polly", or "Glycerine" by Bush
)
stuff.
Sometimes about relationships, and love, and shit and stuff :p
Wow.
I'm quite the master of language.

Don't know how else to describe it, and you'll probably shoot me down and say "We said Mother Love Bone, check out blahblahblah and that's what you're looking for". If that's the case, then do so.

If not, recommend some to the above.

Cheers :D

Last edited by a moderator:
While not in any way grunge, nor indeed in the spirit of your question...

Runemagick are always miserable as fuck.

Great stuff.

Well, I have this Buzz Ballads collection that fits your bill. Has Glycerin on it. A couple of upbeat shit tracks on there but a lot of nice depressed stuff. All pop hits, though, if that doesn't bother you. Got cool depressed stuff like Doll Parts, Hemmorhage In My Hands, lots of sweet stuff.... Probably exactly what you want since you like Glycerin.

Buzz Ballads - 2 discs. Not all the tracks are killer but most of them are. A lot of bands have one or two of these slow, sad songs, but the great thing about this comp is that it puts a bunch of those together, so it's not one depressed song with a bunch of upbeat songs, it's all (well, mostly) depressed songs.

That's probably a lot more what you're looking for than the real grunge. Wish I knew where more of that depressed kind of stuff was located but that's about all I've got for it. You could also try those depressed singer-songwriters like Leonard Cohen, Elliot Smith, and Nick Drake. That might be what you want. But stay away from Sufjan Stevens htat guy is upbeat as hell. ...if Hell was upbeat.

Also maybe The Verve. I don't like them but they have that hit Bittersweet Symphony and it's name sounds pretty depressed, so... Don't really remember the song but they're that kind of thing. And I guess maybe Blind Melon. I don't listen to them either but I think that's their style. And go for some Jeff Buckley, he kicks 10 asses a minute. Check out tracks by hime like Hallelujah, Mojo Pin, Dream Brother.

One last rec:: There's also Negative Saints Down. He's pretty talented and I consider that stuff to be ridiculously depressing.

Oh, and another important thought. What about the unplugged albums by grunge bands? Maybe not quite as electric as you'd want, but if no others then at least Nirvana's Unplugged is intensely depressed, slow, ploding, and awesome. And it has Come As You Are and Polly. So definetly up your alley. Also I'd reccomend Alice In Chains's Unplugged. It's composed almost exclusively of their depressed and slow, plodding songs. I don't think Stone Temple Pilots has one but if they do then that would be a good thing to consider because they have a lot of upbeat songs but they also have a lot of great depressed songs like Creep.

I have a sort of debatable band for this. I was think of Pain of Salvation. A few of their songs are going to be right up your alley methinks. BE sure to check out the song Undertow.

Kind of a random band for this recommendation, but it's a sweet song, and hey, if you like it they're an amazing band.

Alice In Chains - Alice In Chains

You've probably already heard it but that's the first thing that popped into my head when seeing this thread.

Well, I have this Buzz Ballads collection that fits your bill. Has Glycerin on it. A couple of upbeat shit tracks on there but a lot of nice depressed stuff.

Cheers man.

Also maybe The Verve. I don't like them but they have that hit Bittersweet Symphony and it's name sounds pretty depressed, so... Don't really remember the song but they're that kind of thing.

I do actually really like that band.

And I guess maybe Blind Melon. I don't listen to them either but I think that's their style.

Abit upbeat and indie-ish tbh. Chees anyway.

And go for some Jeff Buckley, he kicks 10 asses a minute. Check out tracks by hime like Hallelujah, Mojo Pin, Dream Brother.

It's alright.
Not brilliant. His voice annoys me abit.

One last rec:: There's also Negative Saints Down. He's pretty talented and I consider that stuff to be ridiculously depressing.

It's good. Just bad that he doesn't have a CD or anything out :(

What about the unplugged albums by grunge bands? Also I'd reccomend Alice In Chains's Unplugged.

That's a good idea actually. Acoustic stuff fucking rocks.

I have a sort of debatable band for this. I was think of Pain of Salvation. A few of their songs are going to be right up your alley methinks. BE sure to check out the song Undertow.

They're alright. Cheers.

I'd suggest some shit, but since I'm on ignore for having different opinions then you, I'll have to sit this one out and cry. :lol:

I'm not saying you're totally unknowledgeable, for example, in the grunge thread you were invaluable. Admittedly only in showing me that I wasn't looking for the grunge sound, but yeah.

I'm just saying that due to your hatred of Maiden and Priest that you know little about metal.

I'm not saying you're totally unknowledgeable, for example, in the grunge thread you were invaluable. Admittedly only in showing me that I wasn't looking for the grunge sound, but yeah.

Ok, best slow, depressing shit for you? Alice in Chains e.p.'s, both Jar Of Flies and Sap are the best. A very grunge-ish section of material to check out is Acid Bath....not all of their stuff, but they have some EXCELLENT depressing material on Pagean Terrorism Tactics.

I'm just saying that due to your hatred of Maiden and Priest that you know little about metal.
And that is a very incorrect assumption. All you can tell from that is that I don't like Priest and Maiden, sir. And not to get condescending, as I truly don't mean it that way: but I was exploring Maiden's material back when you were wearing diapers, if not before then.

And that is a very incorrect assumption. All you can tell from that is that I don't like Priest and Maiden, sir.

But the fact that you won't even accept that they were influential and talented is the point.

And not to get condescending, as I truly don't mean it that way: but I was exploring Maiden's material back when you were wearing diapers, if not before then.

Not at all. I understand the fact that you win in the senority and experience with metal battle.
But not to sound condescending as well, have you tried the earlier Maiden works, or the Blaze albums. Because one of your annoyances seems to be the pussy vocals.
And Killers, Iron Maiden, Virtual XI and X Factor certainly don't have them.

Nirvana is no way depressing. If you want depressing shit, i advise you to listen to Nocturnal Depression, Happy Days, Wedard, Wigrid, Nyktalgia, Anti, Thy Light. These are depressing bands, and not Nirvana.