sm57 vs sm7 (clips)

barricade

Giggity Geschmougen
Oct 31, 2007
So i had a little spare time today and recorded Goddamn Guitar's DI tracks with a sm7 and a sm57. I tried 3 positions with each mic (center [c], between the center end the edge of the dustcap [de], where dustcap meets the cone [dc]).

Cables: Proel DieHard
Reamp box: Radial X-amp
Preamp: digi002 preamp
Amp: 5150 mk1
Cab: Mesa/Boogie rectifier oversized

sm57c
sm57de
sm57dc

sm7c
sm7de
sm7dc

I can't decide between sm57de or sm7de . I will have to try them in a mix... i think that the sm7de could get buried in the mix because it's darker... dunno...
What is your favourite?

Sounds way more similar than I would have guessed. The sm57 has slightly more bite which I guess would work better in the mix.

The sm7 was flat, no boosting or cutting on its filters.

It was the red channel, the volume was at 3. ...but i need to retube my amp... the tubes are about 3-4 years old!

I figured that i don't like the center position on my 5150... the 1 cm from the center sounds better!

Yes, sure, i would use it later on in the mix... but the sm7 mic has integrated only bass rolloff and mid-range emphasis!

I still don't understand how a passive mic can have a "boost"...

maybe the "flat" position is actually a cut, and "presence boost" is the signal left un-resisted. but they call it a presence boost because no one really wants to cut out high end, so if they called it that no one would ever use it. just a theory :Smokin:

use the hipass and high boost on sm7 and you will never use sm57 again (atleast hipass). also sm7 doesent listen so much recording space so much, so reflections doesent matter so much. best mic for metal iv found so far
/--^:headbang:

Don't know if you could.. but are you able to do a comparison of these on clean vocals? I'm looking into getting an SM7 but I mostly do cleans. I love the vocals on the latest Paramore which I think were done with an SM7, but a comparison with something I've already got (57) would be awesome.

Don't know if you could.. but are you able to do a comparison of these on clean vocals? I'm looking into getting an SM7 but I mostly do cleans. I love the vocals on the latest Paramore which I think were done with an SM7, but a comparison with something I've already got (57) would be awesome.

Sorry... i never used it on clean vocals... but it does pritty well on screams (like everybody sais).

maybe the "flat" position is actually a cut, and "presence boost" is the signal left un-resisted. but they call it a presence boost because no one really wants to cut out high end, so if they called it that no one would ever use it. just a theory :Smokin:

+1 to that... that's what i was thinking!

That's some real nice tone dude. Can you share the settings on the 5150?

-Joe

Ts-9 (808mod)

drive 9 o'clock
level 3 o'clock
tone 12 o'clock

Red channel (high gain input)

Gain 3
Bass 9
Mid 4
Trable 6
Resonance 8
Presence 4

yar that's what i'm sayin, i'd imagine you'd wanna roll off for a guitar cab 100% of the time. they call the other switch a "presence boost" in the manual

Yes... my mistake... i misread that about hi-pass... i thought u meant presence boost... :oops: