So, Do you think Pinella is milles away from Jordan technically??

Good statement Harp Haven.

I haven't heard Rudess, because I only have Images & Words. In my opinion Pinnella hasn't showed all his capability in Symphony X, yet. On Most of the records he has been a bit in the background. I think Pinnella isn't as good metal keyboardist as Rudess may be, because I find Pinnella's strenght in his classical & piano parts.

In terms of feeling and composing Pinnella is among of the best metal keyboardists.

Hey Harp Heaven, just want to say I really like this....

"Yes, stiffer than ever. Rigor mortis has set in"
-Donald Fagen(Steely Dan), after being asked if the competition in the music business was growing stiffer.

I can just hear him saying it!

I think that Jordan Rudess is more proficient technically. And yes, I am basing that mostly by what they both play. Jordan's stuff is more technical, and if Michael Pinnella could play stuff as technical as that, he would. Symphony X isn't the type of band that restricts displays of virtuosity. Also, Michael Pinnella simplifies his stuff live.

That said, I agree that Michael Pinnella is suited to Symphony X more than Jordan Rudess is suited to Dream Theater. They should have kept Kevin Moore.

Kevin Moore recently played on a side-project with Mike Portnoy called OSI. He`s been working on his own solo project called Chroma Key, while very different from what he has done before, is extremely good and I recommend it to anyone with an open ear.

Harp Heaven said:
My point exactly. You may like Pinellas playing better, and I don`t have any problem with that, but that Rudess is superior technically is a fact, not an opinion. Every note is of perfect duration and velocity, no matter how complex the licks (Glass Prison arpeggios, Great Debate solo, Home solo) even when playing live. Pinella on the other hand, is off-time, both live (unison run in Fallen, keyboard solos in Of Sins and Shadows) and in the studio, and his licks are for the most part simple linear and scalar patterns, with "logical" finger positions that lend themselves readily to being played fast- I have played my share of Pinella stuff, so I know what I am talking about. Just because the guy plays in your favourite band doesn`t mean he is the intergalactic holiness of keyboard playing.

That is a lie. Rudess is far more precise, if one is to measure precision by how close one is to the mathematically correct note value based on the BPM of the song in question, as well as how even the velocity of the notes are.

I agree, but Symphony X ARE technical, and so is Mike Ps playing. So your point is that Pinella, due to the ennui of playing precise and even notes, deliberately made his playing more sloppy? :D

Oh, and for the record; I don`t even like Rudess. I find his playing tasteless and about as emotional as a slab of granite.

I agree \m/

karelrulez said:
dudes.. JR is great. But Pinella doesn't need to show off in Symphony X. There's no place for ego's a la DT.
I suggest you read my preceding post. Symphony X in general has a lot more showing off than Dream Theater, especially Michael Romeo's solos.

I think Petrucci shows off way more than Romeo. Pinnella doesn't show off at all IMO. SymX appears to me as a band that concentrates on song structures. I agree with karelrulz in that DT does a lot of showing off. That's one reason why I don't like DT as much. I guess that's how prog comes across to me. Play as fast as you can and see what comes out. Of course, I'm not saying DT sucks. I'm a huge Petrucci fan, and they've got great tunes. But I RESPECT Symx much more.

Oh well, I guess we're defining fast solos as showing off. I really don't think that's a good definition.
Then what is? Showing off does not necessarily have to be a bad thing. Wanking, on the other hand, is something entirely different.

Jordan is probably better technically. However, I enjoy listening to Pinnella more than Rudess, simply because Pinnella's solo patches don't sound like shit.

Also, as Kate Bush Rules! stated above, Pinnella fits in Symphony X more than Rudess fits in Dream Theater.

And yes, they SHOULD have kept Kevin Moore. He was one damn good songwriter.

Harp Heaven said:
Then what is? Showing off does not necessarily have to be a bad thing. Wanking, on the other hand, is something entirely different.

No of course showing of doesn't have to be bad. I mean, if you've got the talent, flaunt it. But seriously, not all fast solos should be considered showing off. So yes, DT might not be showing off all the time. I think the musician might be the only person that really knows if he is showing off or not. Everyone else can only speculate.

i don't think that MR shows off or "wanks" on his solos..
sure they are all fast..but generally he keeps them to a few measures...never those long drawn out solos when you just know they are wanking it

anyway, it occured to me that a much more reasonable comparison would be michael pinella and jens johanssen
at least their styles are more similar...especially they are soloing. they're not "miles apart"

but i think jens is probably the better of the two...because he is a veteran of many years and many bands...a musician whose mark has been made widely across metal, but MP is just the keys player in symphony x