So finally...Still Life came in the mail

WyldeBill

Jul 14, 2003
Pennsylvania
I was pretty psyched, been waiting for it for a while. I had heard all of the songs before though on mp3, except for Moonlapse Vertigo.

That song is something else. I really wasn't expecting anything like that. It's definitely something different, but of course it is still awesome. Overall, incredible CD.

So now to the point, I was just wondering what everyone elses opinions are on the song Moonlapse Vertigo.

It used to be my favorite song off of Still Life. Now it's SPD. Moonlapse has a great (but repetitive) riff early on, which IMO is the best riff in the song...possibly on the CD.

Still Life is just awesome from beginning to end...I would place the track listing from best to worst like this;

Godhead s Lament
The Moor
Moonlapse Vertigo
Face of Melinda
Benighted
White Cluster
Serenity Painted Death

Stunning album!

Moonlapse floors me every time I listen to it. It seems a lot like the Funeral Portait, yet somehow more adventurous, winding and complicated. But I think Godhead's Lament is the best song on Still Life, mostly because of the the folksy middle section. They played that song when I saw them in Virginia Beach and it was great. As for the rest of Still Life, I think the Moor is good, but about 3 minutes too long, and I don't really like White Cluster. The mellow songs are, I think, most would agree, better than most of the material on Damnation.

yep, still life is my favorite of all of them. i just bought it on vinyl...should receive it shortly! SPD used to be my favorite off of it...dunno about now...probably still is.

Still Life is the best album ever, I love Moonlapse Vertigo, but not sure which is my favorite song off Still Life. Probably Godheads Lament, Moonlapse Vertigo or Serenity Painted Death for sure!

I think Godhead's Lament and Benighted might be my favorite off Still Life so far. But Moonlapse just sounds like nothing like Opeth had done before so I do like that song.

I was worried for a while because I ordered the cd from The End Records and I didn't see any signs of it coming, but $11 was worth the wait.

Moonlapse is the best song off SL. Everyone's said that, I guess... My favorite part's the acoustic bit before the opening line, and then, "Kept awake by the light of the lantern," that is soooo cool!

Alcapoth said:
Still Life is just awesome from beginning to end...I would place the track listing from best to worst like this;

Godhead s Lament
The Moor
Moonlapse Vertigo
Face of Melinda
Benighted
White Cluster
Serenity Painted Death

Stunning album!

Mine would be

The Moor
SPD
GOdheads Lamet
Benigted
Moonlapse
Face of Melinda
White Cluster

Does anyone else think that SPD is one of Opeth's most underated songs?