So I 'BATHED IN BLOOD' briefly

EvileOL

Ol Drake
May 18, 2005
UK
www.twitter.com
hello from my bed.

thankyou for all the get well messages (even the guy who said we suck, you rule).

want to start by saying a HUGE sorry to all the people wanting to see us play on the Satyricon tour, I couldn't be more pissed off. I'm the first person to oppose cancelling any gig or tour, unless it's completely necessary. My first worry wasn't even for my health, it was for the tour... And that my beard would be ok.

I literally can't stand up for longer than 5 minutes or I just feel like going back down (took 4 goes to get the X-ray done). I did a highly medical thing called "lose blood". I wish I could have carried on the tour. No energy at all

Will get myself checked but I think I pretty much know why it happened:

During the Canada tour i developed a really bad cold/infection (which Ben caught, putting him in hospital on our return), it got worse when we got home. It developed into a URTI (Upper Respiratory Tracht Infection) so I was put on medication for that. My system was pretty low but I carried on anyway.

With the long drives on this tour, and the vast boredom between shows, I basically slept all the time. When it came to eating, we didn't have much food but I ate what I could that we were given by venues. On top of that we didn't have too much money to buy food (most of it going to lots of petrol) so I was basically not eating enough. I've done enough gigs and tours and not eaten a lot, and physically got by, as the shows themselves are usually good excersise. But I think this time it just caught up with me at a bad time and said "you hit the floor now". I've broken one side of the top of my jaw, detaching a bone which holds the muscle in place. Therefore the muscle is pulling my jaw up on one side. I sound like Stephen Hawking when I talk. Also a bone deep gash on my chin.

I will have to just get myself into good health, as this was basically my own fault.

so again, huge apologies to our fans, Satyricon + Crew (thankyou for being cool with us!) and Zonaria.

If you're interested, below is what happened. In a few weeks i'll just laugh at it.

Outside the Waterfront in Rotterdam (which is literally AT the water front), I started to get blurred vision. Next thing I knew i'm being woken up by two of the Satyricon guys. I just thought, "oh shit, what happened?". I couldn't feel my jaw, so I didn't notice anything at first. If i was any nearer the water; bye bye.

There was a big pool of blood under where my head had been, so I wondered where it came from. One of the guys said my teeth were covered in blood so its probably a broken tooth. I checked my teeth and found one quite out of alignment and thought "woo".

Then I felt my beard (which probably cushioned the blow making this alot less serious) was drenched in blood. Other than this looking very cool, I wondered where it came from. So i stick my fingers into my beard, then i'm suddenly touching my jaw bone. As in....touching the actual bone, and other squishy Peter Jackson-esque things. I look down at my fingers and they're dark red, drenched in blood. Then I realised I might be in trouble.

We woke Matt up (who simeltaneously having a dream that i'd fallen off something??) and called an ambulance. I was asked if i was OK again, and I noticed my teeth were making new friends with teeth they'd never met before. Ie, my jaw was in the totally wrong place. I felt my face and there was a huge jaw bone on one side, and a gap on the other.

fast forward blah blah, had X-rays (4 attempts). Stitches. then basically stayed in bed until getting home. Wish i could just be touring and playing guitar.

As in....touching the actual bone

huh huh...you touched your bone....huh huh.

We woke Matt up (who simeltaneously having a dream that i'd fallen off something??)

He probably fecking pushed you.

Ol (and the rest of the guys) - if you're heading on tour and don't have enough money then I'm sure some of us lot can throw you a little cash to help out. I'll buy you a burger king in April ;)

Good to hear you have a good idea on the cause - means you know what to keep an eye out for in future.

Oh, yeah....man up, for fuck sake :D

Never knew Canada was that evil.

Ol you're going to have to wear a Pillow on your head for now on. Use duct tape to keep your jaw in place and go ahead with the show. THAT"S real metal!!!!

Wish ya well!

damn man sounds like bad timing, touring in the winter is risky . here's to a swift heal, maybe the bump on the head will bring out some killer new solo ideas .that what don't kill ya make ya more strong.

Maybe unconciusly you started growing a beard because this was gonna happen to you. :D haha Anyway get better soon. And dont worry you´ll be back in business and on tour soon enough.

Cheers guys.

The weird thing (other than matt dreaming about it whilst it happened) was that I usually have this gut feeling when I wake up. If we have a show that day, I'll have a gut feeling we aren't going to be playing that night. It's happened all the times we've missed a gig. The two Megadeth ones etc.

I had the feeling the morning of the Oslo show and got pissed off, and lo and behold, we got stuck in the snow and missed the oslo show.

Then I got the feeling the morning of the Rotterdam show, but I didnt understand why, as we were already at the venue over night. We played the show so I thought "oh ok, maybe I'm not psychic" then the planet gives me a gravity punch in the jaw. Made sense after that.

as in "sorry dudes, we cancelled the tour coz some stupid tarmac gravity punched me" :rofl:DDDD

pics or it didnt happen.........:lol:
jk, shame about the tour but it will one hell of a story to tell people. hope it heals soon mate ;)

So the official explanation is that there was an unexplained gravitational anomaly emanating from your jaw, causing the Earth to suddenly jolt up towards your jaw at an extreme velocity and so causing injury upon impact and your head to be temporarily stuck to the Earth...

I'll buy it. :lol:

The same happens when I see a Subway resturant while in a car/van.

we dont drive towards it. The earth rotates towards us, bringing the subway to us.