So I need an additional amp

Meisterjäger

Douchebag
Oct 19, 2007
www.myspace.com
I'm hopefully joining in with a new project with a few well-known guys in the biz that isn't full-assault, brutal metal, just to mix it up a bit!

I'm looking for some advice on an amp head with quite nice, powerful crunch to it, and a very nice clean sound. So far, my instincts are directing me towards ditching my 6505 and buying Mesa that would probably cover all bases, probably a Dual Rec or a Stiletto Stage II. BUT, I'd really quite like to keep my 6505, especially if that means I can find an amp with better suited tones than the Dual Rec. I don't know if the Dual Rec is a jack of many trades, master of none type amp, really?

I'm quietly considering:

Mesa Boogie Stilletto Stage II
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Blackstar Artisan
Marshall Vintage/Modern
Marshall JCM2000
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade

For some reason I've never tried this, but I guess I can plug an electro-acoustic into the clean channel on one of these amps and have a good outcome?

well I can tell ya Marcus is gonna say get the Dual and honestly I probably would too. Not sure on the H&K heads. I used a triamp for a whole tour and absolutely loved it every single night.

Yeah, I gather most people will say Dual Rec, and in all honesty, eventhough I've never gotten one to sounds decent to my ears, I'd love to have one to play with. How are the cleans, though?

H&K Triamp is possibly out of price range, really, unless one comes up S/H

Well the cleans seem to be really nice. I had a Dual Rec Roadster and the cleans were incredible. I really really miss that amp.

I haven't messed much with the clean on my 2 channel, but I would describe it as passable - better than a 5150 for sure, but inferior to other amps (especially the JSX, man that clean tone was gorgeous, but the distortion is another matter IMO :ill: ). The 3-channels might have better cleans, but while I've heard some really good clips of them, they've all sounded more "processed" and less organic than my 2-channel (and all the clips I've heard of 2-channels, e.g. "Dead Heart/This Godless Endeavor" and clips from users on here).

And believe me, it is a MASTER of distortion tones, not a jack - obviously that's all opinion, but so many albums with god-like tones have used Rectifiers as the foundation for them, it's a legendary amp for a reason! And if you have a hard time getting one to sound good, the two most important suggestions I can give are a) don't be afraid to experiment with the presence knob as low as 9 o'clock, and b) USE A TUBE SCREAMER, NO amp I've played is as transformed by it (for the better) as a Rectifier!

I'm not really after massive distortion etc, as I said, so if the Dual Rec's cleans are merely passable then it's probably not the one for me. From your post I've remembered the immaculate cleans on the JSX, though, dayumm! Now wondering if the JSX 50 will be worth checking out whenever it lands, thanks Marcus

Well Rectifiers do have an orange channel too (and a gain knob ;)), so it doesn't HAVE to be massive distortion, but I meant massive in the "awesome" sense. And the 3-channels (which are the only ones made today) probably have much better clean channels, and while the JSX may be a versatile, reliable amp, I find the character of the distortion to be fizzy and lifeless. You're call, of course, just wanna give you the full picture from my perspective!

And yeah, Felix's clips of his JVM sound fucking great (and he has the cheapest, the JVM205!)

You never said anything about massive distortion in the first place, that was me :lol:

My point is that your point about the Dual Rec was that you said the cleans were passable and distortion is epic, which isn't what I'm looking for. Your point about the JSX was that the distortion wasn't nice but cleans were lush, which is more likely what I'm looking for, so I can see clearer middle ground in the JSX, so thanks for reminding me about something I most probably would have overlooked.

Tornio, the JVM did come into my mind, but it seems like it's being pushed as one of the best amps Marshall's ever done for it's high-gain amp reputation, ya know?

How's about Orange Rocker 30's? Might be a bit too 'British' sounding for me. Putting 6L6's in one might work out though.

Meisterjäger;8136445 said:
You never said anything about massive distortion in the first place, that was me :lol:

My point is that your point about the Dual Rec was that you said the cleans were passable and distortion is epic, which isn't what I'm looking for. Your point about the JSX was that the distortion wasn't nice but cleans were lush, which is more likely what I'm looking for, so I can see clearer middle ground in the JSX, so thanks for reminding me about something I most probably would have overlooked.

Tornio, the JVM did come into my mind, but it seems like it's being pushed as one of the best amps Marshall's ever done for it's high-gain amp reputation, ya know?

How's about Orange Rocker 30's? Might be a bit too 'British' sounding for me. Putting 6L6's in one might work out though.

Oh right, I missed the part in your original post that it was gonna be for non-metal type stuff, as bizarre and alien a concept as that is to me o_O :lol: Orange amps kick ass too, I loved the bark of my Tiny Terror, and Swallow the Sun's "Hope" sounds boner-inducing!

If you want a sparkling clear clean channel, you should eye the Krank Revolution +, too. The FX-Boost will give you a nice crunch and the sweep knob makes for many versatile distorted tones... Or maybe the Chadwick.

Yeah, I'd say so! (Swallow the Sun was Rockerverbs, and the sound is very similar to what I got from my TT IMO)

I was dicking about with my 6505 and have come to a low-gain sound I really quite dig, and will be very useable for what I want/need.

Never used it before, but 4 cable method looks like the way forward for beautiful cleans.

So... GT-8 or GT-10?