So there is an ICED EARTH tribute band out there...

Jasonic

Doom On!
Apr 14, 2004
West Burbs of Chicago
I don't know if they are local or not, but an ICED EARTH tribute band has a show coming up at NITE CAP.

Believe you me, being in a tribute band myself, I know that people have varying opinions of them.

For me, playing in a SAVATAGE tribute band is 100% different than playing in a tribute to a currently active band. There is demand out there for a proper SAVATAGE reunion. (I have video to prove that even Bob Byrne was bopping his head along to STRANGE WINGS at Ragnarokkr, though he will vehemently deny it!!! :heh: )

Anyhow, I don't know how I feel about a tribute to an active underground metal band. I can see having a tribute to an active "big" band, like Metallica, Maiden, Priest, etc, as you can't see those bands play in a small bar.

Though an Iced Earth tribute playing at a venue which isn't much smaller than IE themselves would normally play?????

Just curious what your thoughts were on this.

Iced Earth comes to town one/two times a year. Then they go into the studio. In the last 5 years they have played I think 4 times (including the show they have this month). In my opinion that's not enough Iced Earth for me and I love Iced Earth so making a tribute band seemed like a great idea. Anyone that we have talked to (that knows of Iced Earth) thinks that its a great idea to have a non-standard tribute band. Sure I could make a Metallica band and compete with the other 3 in Chicago alone. Chicago also has 2-3 UFO tribute bands too. Let them do their thing and find a band no one else has made a tribute to. I know of 3 Iced Earth tribute bands in the world. The other 2 are in Brazil/Chile. As far as I know we are the only one in America, and I think that uniqueness is pretty cool.

Check us out and come see us sometime.
http://www.facebook.com/bornofthewicked

Hey man,
I will do you one better.
Why don't BORN OF THE WICKED and GHOST IN THE RUINS play a gig together sometime??????

I believe our vocalist talked to you guys at a gig in Homer Glen.

I see your point of 'Active vs. Non-active underground tribute band' but I guess it depends on why they are doing it....underground or not. I mean, are you doing a Savatage tribute band for the money or because you truly love their music? Or because it has opened doors for you to open for bigger acts? No, they most likely won't make as much as Judas Beast, but perhaps the die-hard IE fans that attend the shows will be enough of a reason for them to want to play out. Hell, if there was a WASP tribute band down here, I'd be at every show. And you know I'd be at every Ghost in the Ruins show if I still lived up there. Haha! I'm different though....I don't have a problem seeing the same band twice a month if I truly love their music.

Hey man,
I will do you one better.
Why don't BORN OF THE WICKED and GHOST IN THE RUINS play a gig together sometime??????

I believe our vocalist talked to you guys at a gig in Homer Glen.

I like that idea a lot! I love Iced Earth and thats why I do it. Everyone has been very supportive of us and that makes it more fun to play the music I love.

I didn't start GHOST IN THE RUINS.
I was always a casual SAVATAGE fan, even back in the day.
I just happened to talk to a couple of their members and found they needed a bassist.
I liked the idea of doing SAVATAGE because they were currently not active and are one of the top "In Demand for Reunion" bands.

No way is there money to be made in being a tribute to Savatage.
Playing with nationals just sort of happened. It wasn't anything we initially sought out to do.
I think we just got lucky that MoJoes is open to the idea.

That's cool you guys are doing it simply for the love of the band.
I suppose if someone in my area were doing a HELLOWEEN tribute, and asked me, I would consider too!