So, What are you listening to...

eaeolian said:
I'm alternating between the new Martyr and Arsis discs. They're both pretty freakin' awesome...
Indeed they are.

I'm also throwing in some Yyrkoon, Obscurant, and *gasp* Twilightning. The new Wuthering Heights is pretty decent, although I have to be in the mood for them in general.

Mike, if you haven't heard Obscurant yet, you really should. It's some top quality Finnish death metal.

Hyperplex said:
Indeed they are.

I'm also throwing in some Yyrkoon, Obscurant, and *gasp* Twilightning. The new Wuthering Heights is pretty decent, although I have to be in the mood for them in general.

Mike, if you haven't heard Obscurant yet, you really should. It's some top quality Finnish death metal.

I'm glad we're highly unlikely to ever play a show with Wuthering Heights.... We'd have a dwarf in danger of being stepped on by a giant bass player!

Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes.

I'd give a review of the music... but I can't hear any over the drums from hell.

The fact that I love this band big time made this disc a big disappointment. And believe me - it's not easy to give a negative record review of a band I really dig and admire...

I basically paid money for a disc of kick drums. I know under all that triggered kick exists some really cool music (I'm reminded of Death in some sections)... but wtf, I own a lot of music spanning a few genres known for having obscene drum samples... but this one seriously ranks in my top 1 of being unlistenable. There's retardedly unreal samples... then there's loud samples, and finally, there's both..... eek.

Further, there might be some dynamic in the music here... but the drums mask it. In fact, the whole record just seems loud.

Basically, the impression that i get is the the band went in the studio and tore shit up like no other band can - they totally did their job and delivered the goods.... then the knob twiddler screwed it all up.

I was hoping this trendy sound would have gone out of style by, say... last year.... but apparently it's getting worse.

bummer.

For anybody that really gives a shit...

I am currently listening to

Imagika - My Bloodied Wings:

02f4820dd7a083a9b8e2d010._AA240_.L.jpg

This is some pretty hardcore thrash shit here. Sounds pretty good. Alot of banging on drums, thrashing guitars and a fair bit of screaming in the microphone, but still some decent singing in there.

Everytime I slug I get NPR, and every gym trip earns me your typical house remix bullshit.

I can put up with NPR, but the music at most gyms kills my workout. You should open your own line of gyms that only plays metal.

Going back a few pages....

Tell me about it. That (c)rap/Hip-Hop/Techno shit was getting real old at the gym where I work out.

Thankfully, Apple made this nice little device to take care of that (Metal - my safe haven from the shitty music of the world):

indexnanofrontside20060912.png

Now listening to....

Communic - Waves of Visual Decay:

B000FDKC0A.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V52378661_.jpg

This is just fucking awesome! I am already looking forward to seeing these guys at this years ProgPower (and October is still a loooong ways away!)

Now for something truly remarkable.

This is an incredible piece of metal goodness here. For anybody even remotely interested in symphonic power/progressive metal, this is a must!

Beyond Twilight - For the Love of Art and the Making

B000F4MOVO.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56259743_.jpg

Imagika - My Bloodied Wings:

02f4820dd7a083a9b8e2d010._AA240_.L.jpg

This is some pretty hardcore thrash shit here. Sounds pretty good. Alot of banging on drums, thrashing guitars and a fair bit of screaming in the microphone, but still some decent singing in there.

We played with them in Minnesota, and they just slayed. Easily the best band of the day. I think the vocalist on that disc is different, though. The current vocalist is the complete package: great stage presence, an aggressive voice with tons of range, and an all around nice guy.

We played with them in Minnesota, and they just slayed. Easily the best band of the day. I think the vocalist on that disc is different, though. The current vocalist is the complete package: great stage presence, an aggressive voice with tons of range, and an all around nice guy.

I do like it, and I bet those guys did put on one hell of a show. Granted, a bit more "thrashier" than what I typically listen to, but these guys do sound kick-ass! To be honost, I like these guy better than Nevermore, which are along the same lines. My original remarks were a bit on the "sarcastic" side.

But right now, listening to that Communic - Waves of Visual Decay album again. That is some awesome shit there!