Some advice on doom.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Evoken could be considered funeral doom.
Could be, but really aren't. Death-doom with a greater focus on atmospherics than some other prominents bands in the genre. "Embrace the Emptiness" is superior to "Quietus".

Speaking of doom metal, what kind of doom is Mourning Beloveth? They aren't traditional doom, doomdeath, or funeral doom. I fucking love them. They are the most depressive band I've ever heard.

I'm pretty sure they do fit under "doomdeath" in the same way that post-AtFW My Dying Bride does

Otherwise, feel free to call them "atmospheric doom" or SHUDDER "gothic doom" if you're inclined to do shit like that

Erik said:
I'm pretty sure they do fit under "doomdeath" in the same way that post-AtFW My Dying Bride does

Otherwise, feel free to call them "atmospheric doom" or SHUDDER "gothic doom" if you're inclined to do shit like that
Well, they aren't gothic. There are no keyboards in their music. They create their atmosphere with multi-layered guitarwork as opposed to keyboards. MDB might be gothic doom, though.

I'd consider Mourning Beloveth to be funeral death/doom.

By the way, while I'm here, "gothic" isn't being used as a disparaging term referring to female-fronted modern metal bands playing around with aesthetic ideas of popular '80s "goth rock" bands while focusing primarily on annoying staccato riffing and other "modern" nonsense. Gothic doom is a very real type of music, and it's certainly not defined in the same way as typical "gothic" metal is...I like to think Turn Loose The Swans is even sort of gothic at times. Just because Mourning Beloveth doesn't have keyboards doesn't mean it's not "gothic" influenced.

Erik said:
Death-doom with a greater focus on atmospherics than some other prominents bands in the genre.

Oh I agree fully. I was just saying that they could be categorized as funeral doom because they do have that feeling once in a while.

I'd also place Mourning Beloveth in the doomdeath field, if anything. They definitely have a very "Turn Loose the Swans"-era MDB feel to them. Either way, they're one of my favorite later doom bands.

Pantheist's "O Solitude" and Shape of Despair's "Angels of Distress" are great for funeral doom as well.

I'm seeing 'Khanate' tomorrow night with a friend. Not into them but have nothing better to do ao maybe it will be cool. i'll see some hot brunette's or something :headbang:

On MB, they sound my dying bride influenced minus the keyboards,organs,etc.... MDB are more interesting to me. I also prefere Aaron's growling vocals.

V.V.V.V.V. said:
They do have riffs (generally no more than 3 per song though, and even then, they are only really really subtle changes), listening to Sunn at 200% speed is pretty cool actually. Try falling asleep to 00 Void or the re-release of their Grimmrobe Demos...that may help you get into them. I remember first listening to them, I used to make fun of them constantly, wondering how anybody could enjoy it. Every now and then I enjoy chilling out to 00 Void (it's easily their best and most consistent album), but I like all their albums.

Evoken could be considered funeral doom. Pretty good band, I enjoy Quietus. Buried At Sea are drone-y sludge doom...excellent band.

Oh man ive got to try that 200% speed thing. As for the topic, I listen to my dying bride who are (to some extent) funeral doom. And Yob are quite droney.

lol MDB funeral doom

try death/doom or gothic doom. funeral doom is reserved for THEE most anguished, THEE most funereal (OBVIOUSLY), THEE most mindfvked voicvoixpofg;lk

polarity3 said:
being black you probably cant understand why anyone would listen to music without a groovin' rhythm section or something but us evolved beings have more refined tastes

I listen to metal you fucking coon. You must be really evolved to understand the sound of a fucking field.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
I listen to metal you fucking coon. You must be really evolved to understand the sound of a fucking field.

begone, blackamoore