Some words in different songs...

Dec 7, 2001
Norway
Visit site
I've read the translations above, and there were some words I beliveve I can translate. I'm not swedeish (I'm norwegian), but there's very mush that is the same in swedish and (the) norwegian dialects. Correct me if I'm wrong in the translations, swedes, but, well...

From "Allfader Vise"

"Nidingens"
*'niding' is a coward, that's correct, but not only; he's totally without honor to, which means he's not really worth anything.
*-en is the definite "article", which mean, in english, 'nodingen' would be 'the niding' -> "the nidingen" would be "the the niding"
*-s indicates that this is possessive form of the noun

"Ravnarnas"
*'ravn' is raven
*-arna indicates definite plural form (-s is the same as above)

"Kampeldens kung"
*'kampelden' is something like "the heath of (the) battle"
*'kung' means king -> the king of the heath of the battle

From "I trollberg och skog"

"gravölet" (definite form) is a kind of a feast one hold in remembrance of a person who just died (usually a week after the death), to honor the person, and grieve because of the person's death

"Furstliga"
*'furst' means 'prince'
*'furstliga' will then mean 'like a prince/princess' -> 'grand'

From "Älvadimmans omdaning"

"omskaldad" means something like 'made songs/poetry about' -> a person who is 'omskaldad' is a person about whom there is made songs/poetry
*'skald' is a person who followed a king or 'high' person about and made songs and poetry about him that was performed to entertain the person and others. The poetry was meant to honor the person, and would thus have to be true; if it was obvious that it was lies, it would dishonor him instead
*'skaldediktning' is the poetry/songs made by the 'skald'. It's a certain type of poetry
.......hope someone had a little use of this...

From "Bäckahesten"
Correct me if I'm wrong, swedes, but doesn't "fagerlek" mean something like "beauty". I didn't believe -lek had anything to do with 'play' here. It's like that in norwegin at least, so it may be that I'm terrabelly wrong, but there 'leik' means 'play' when it stands alone: Put together with an adjective, you make a noun of it. In norwegian 'fagerlek' would be 'fagerleik'. If you said
'fager leik', though, it would mean 'nice/beautiful play', and I thought it was like that in swedish to...:err: