Something new for Opeth !!

Should Opeth have some femal vocals to?

• Yes I think it's a fucking deadly Idea

Votes: 35 34.7%
  • No , I think your a crazy bastard .

Votes: 66 65.3%

• Total voters
Interesting to see the opinions around 7 years ago. However, I enjoyed the vocals on Coil and thought it was done extremely well considering its so unusual for Opeth to utilise a female voice. (And Natalie is hot, go Axe)

Agreed. it was done well. As for another female vox on a future album? not on the next one, but maybe in a few.

What are people thoughts on this? i know its not really Opeth's thing to do the same thing over and over but would anybody be interested in hearing some more female vox in a few albumstime?

Interesting to see the opinions around 7 years ago.

What were the poll results before the bump?

I wouldn't mind Natalie (or however you spell it) becoming a permanent secondary vocalist for the band. She's Axe's girlfriend, so it might cause a problem if they ever seperate... that aside, it would be cool.

They would need to use her differently than on "Coil", though. It worked for that song, but if she were to become a band member, they'd need to use her vocals in more interesting ways. Maybe if she were used for ambient vocals, as well as singing lyrics and such... treat her vocals more like an instrument.

She wouldn't be much use when the band plays their older stuff live, though. That would make her stage appearances feel kind of wonky, popping on and off stage all the time. She doesn't seem like the type of person to do stage theatrics to appear busy, and even if she were, I can't imagine it working very well with Opeth's music.

Live performance issues aside, I think it would be cool. Those worried about adding more female vox making Opeth sound generic... dudes, it's Opeth. Mike would find a way to make it fresh and unique.

Probably won't happen, though, and that's fine too.

I think it would be a pretty sweet idea to have one album with multiple songs featuring a female vocalist. But, it would have to be kept to a minimum to prevent completely changing Opeth's opethness. I think instead of using "flutey/ windy" vocals, they should have a girl with a rather rich voice, with deeper tones and "grittiness" (If you understand what I mean,) that would compliment Mike's voice, and be great for harmonizing.

The interaction between a male and female voice in Coil is stunningly beautiful, I would love to hear more of the same stuff - properly and tastefully executed of course - but not too much. Otherwise it'd lose its effect when it does come to play.

Great Bump !!!

I'm all for it. Coil was great, but they don't need to make a Coil part 2.
I think there's many ways Opeth could utilize female vox.
Prior to Per joining the band, I probably would've been against it.
Now the floodgates are open for creativity.

mh, dunno ... i wasnt too fond of the female vocals in opeth. she got a great voice and all but it wasnt really that nicely merged into one. guess it is kinda hard to write for two singers but the parts are like ... totally seperate ... kind of a bland way to do it. but yea, it's an idea that could work out ...
i see a problem with performing these kind of songs live if there should be more ...

No female vocals. I would like to hear more of Per's voice though.

At times, I felt Mike's vocals went overboard on watershed. Nevertheless, still fantastic.

I would have no problem at all with Opeth using some female vocals (or any guest vocals) in future albums too. Worked fine in Watershed.

[KOTNO]Narrot;7731652 said:
mh, dunno ... i wasnt too fond of the female vocals in opeth. she got a great voice and all but it wasnt really that nicely merged into one. guess it is kinda hard to write for two singers but the parts are like ... totally seperate ... kind of a bland way to do it. but yea, it's an idea that could work out ...
i see a problem with performing these kind of songs live if there should be more ...

?
The parts never merged on the song. They never sang together on the song, and that was on purpose, so you would feel the seperation between the characters.

So I guess, it worked, you just didn't like the idea...

i remember the first time I was listening to the album. I was expecting it to pick up at any moment then the female voice came over. I about gave my self backlash due to my head turning so fast. It was one of the most gorgeous things i've heard in a very long time and it also sent chills going down my spine. Still does to this day.