Sometimes life just hits you in the head with a sledgehammer.

Eddy

Old fart on this board
Apr 15, 2001
Fin fuggen land
When everything seems to go exactly like they shouldn't, what makes you open your eyes, look up and realise that it's not really the end of the world?

when I realize that I am still alive and it doesn't matter how wrong things are they have a solution
that's what makes me wake up

I agree with Demonic Rapture.....but what I find effective for snapping out of that is a quick spin of something like Toploader, Oasis, The Verve, Travis or Coldplay, or Garbage, or something else similar to that. I emphasize quick spin, because although the positivite energy and happy happy joy joy I find in the above bands serves to 'snap me out of it', they also quickly become terrifyingly depressive and annoying if I listen to them too much when restored to a more normal frame of mind.

when everything seems to go wrong, i usually think about the person i love, and who i'll live with.
i know that cannot turn what we don't like into something positive, but like when in math any number compared to infinite can be ignored, so lots of things in life can be ignored when you feel something so strong.

First of all, you should understand life as what it is... a big fucking bad joke
Secondly, you should lower your expectations. When you dont expect anything, you cant get disappointed, so you can rather easily dodge the sledgehammer life wants to hit you with.

What keeps me going? Hope maybe. Or the fact that Im too much of a wuss to kill myself. I dont expect happiness to fill my life anyway... so I just sit there, put on some depressive music and wait for it to pass. And even if it doesnt, it's ok...
At least Im not one of those happy zombie idiots

Originally posted by Northern Viking
you should lower your expectations.
true: the lower your expectations are, the easier to be happy. but happy about what? lower things? it doesn't work.

When you dont expect anything, you cant get disappointed
that reasoning sounds very familiar to me. the problem is that way you often don't expect anything from yourself, too, and so you lack of stimuli to achieve your goals.

(nota bene: i'm not referring to you in particular, it's just that what you said made me want to add what i think on the issue :) )

Originally posted by Eddy
When everything seems to go exactly like they shouldn't, what makes you open your eyes, look up and realise that it's not really the end of the world?

mental training and positive thinking from my sport is helping me in life as well outside sports :)

You know what's really frustrating? I work 40hrs. a week, but the store I work at is too cheap to start paying me as a full time person. I fucking hate them and hope they die...er...I wish them eternal happines!(in case they see this!)

Sounds familiar...

A guy I know worked (meaning he had to) a little less than 40h a week, something like 36 or 37 because the employer didn't want to pay him the full wages. That way it cost them only a bit over half of the normal wage...

Originally posted by mourningstar
true: the lower your expectations are, the easier to be happy. but happy about what? lower things? it doesn't work.
No, but Im happy when I manage to lower the hurt already, and get to live kinda normally
Originally posted by mourningstar
that reasoning sounds very familiar to me. the problem is that way you often don't expect anything from yourself, too, and so you lack of stimuli to achieve your goals.
I do expect a few things from myself, although I do lack the drive for most things. Why should I be so eager to do that shit anyway? I walk on the edge between what needs to be done and what I can leave undone, just to get the best least work / least problems relation ;)
Well ok, not really, Im close to my final exams and messing up those would pretty much fuck up my entire life, but for the rest of things I applied that calculation...

And no, I didnt take anything personally, if I sound so, Im sorry, I didnt mean it ;)

Why should I be so eager to do that shit anyway? I walk on the edge between what needs to be done and what I can leave undone, just to get the best least work / least problems relation ;)
that concept is far from being stupid. i think i got what you mean, but i also think there are two different situations. you can apply that reasoning to things you have to do, things which might not be that important or interesting. but you should agree with me that when you have the opportunity to do something for yourself, something you might get some satisfaction from, that idea isn't the best one to apply.

Well ok, not really, Im close to my final exams
*reads her crystal ball* your exams will go fine ;)

And no, I didnt take anything personally, if I sound so, Im sorry, I didnt mean it ;)
no, on the contrary, thank you for answering!

Originally posted by Eddy

Looking back on the things I've been through, and realizing that my current situation could always be worse.

SlaughterOfTheSoul's Gollum avatar is enough to make me cackle with glee over anything. "Eat them! EAAAAT them!" Hahaha...ah. Seriously, i've been through some bad, bad times, and a few things got me through in differing degrees - God, personal strength, i.e. will and pride, and family. You may not have one or more of those, but I would think any man has pride and can find strength and will in himself to persevere. Sometimes its just enough to get you by, but eventually you get by enough to see things DO turn out better than before. Alot better...

Dont take this personal, but Im endlessly sick of people telling me that someday it'll all be better...