Song meanings

It's probably just an emotional song about relationships. How you can get the sex stuff out of it tri... I just don't know. The song is romantic not perverse. It's mildly funny that you managed to find explicit sexual meaning in some of those lines, but it's hilarious that you're actually serious.

excuse me, but now you're being narrow-minded. "wordless now the last attack"? "it was solid"? "order stormed the surface"! "repeated in the infinite"!!! You guys are crazy!

Cuthalion said:
Interesting, I've always thought that this song is about an ending of something and even a new beginning afterwards but it doesn't have to be necesseraly so. Maybe failing doesn't have to be dying, maybe Death is not the only end.
Hence "What's to become of me?". But he only mentions it that one time, which makes me think that it's more about being scared of death than about a new beginning. And i don't see other new beginning elements anywhere. What do you say?

--

Judith: Very good analysis. Notes and thoughts below. ;)

Side note: I don't know about Therein being about sex, and i'd like to read that analysis, but from my quick read of the lyrics a minute ago i think Judith's interpretation goes better (then again, i might be wrong).

Mikael and Judith said:
the tone of which his birth ascend
the beat that of a heart descend
repeating in the infinite
an insight made it clear
life appears in the universe
And the insight that made it clear? Did Mikael understand what life was all about?

Judith said:
"I starve myself for energy": the guy is curious about how the nature works, how it came to be what it is.
I didn't get this. How does "I starve myself for energy" mean that?

Mikael said:
crawl out of science
a dreamland if you dare
If (and only if) my "Mikael understood what life was all about" interpretation is correct, then this would collide with it: How could insight made it clear for him if it's something that escapes science and all logic(al insight)?

Mikael said:
so break from all that fear holds fast
exposed, now turn to all you lack
let echoes be the answers
return from all the screams
This part isn't really clear to me, and your interpretation doesn't quite do it for me, but then probably if i made my own analysis of Therein (or read it when my neurons are working better) i would get it and understand what you meant.

Mikael said:
was it always solid, to never change?
Judith said:
Was it always like this, will we always have questions that cant be answered?
I think that part could mean "Was it (the universe / life / nature) always the way it is ("solid"=ordered/etc, "to never change" = always ruled by the same laws)?".

Tali said:
What do you make of

the story could unfold
superimposed on the elements of anger
fear | anxiety
hate | despair | remorse

then? What do feelings have to do with the universe or science?
She said it: The story [of the universe] could unfold [by itself, because "nothing could be grasped"] without scientists being there (and thus without scientists being able to tell how it unfolded and why), thus the "superimposed" (because it's still unfolding, the universe is still going on) elements of anger/fear/anxiety/blah (feelings many scientists have (and are right to have) when being unable to explain something).

Tri said:
Do you really think Stanne would write "gentle storm" and talk about a gentle storm? No way
No, he meant the big bang or the energy "storm" from the creation of the universe or something like that.

Tritonus said:
Ey! Don't talk to me like that! I'm 16!
Well you seem to think female genitalia is infinite in capacity... Maybe due to you being 16 and not fully understanding physics or biology (that's wild assumption on my part). And anyway, 16 is legal and as far as I'm concerned, no longer innoscent, so I feel I'm doing no wrong in questioning you... And you have double standards. Why can you talk in detail about the sounds made when people fuck and ever changing penises, but I can't question your logic and understanding in the apparent infinite depth of the female vagina? I'm being scientific, not crude.

Who would write a song about that? I don't buy it. According to articles Stanne was feeling shit when he wrote Projector. Why go around wondering about elements and nature, when you can't sleep? You'll just make it worse.

King Chaos said:
Well you seem to think female genitalia is infinite in capacity... Maybe due to you being 16 and not fully understanding physics or biology (that's wild assumption on my part). And anyway, 16 is legal and as far as I'm concerned, no longer innoscent, so I feel I'm doing no wrong in questioning you... And you have double standards. Why can you talk in detail about the sounds made when people fuck and ever changing penises, but I can't question your logic and understanding in the apparent infinite depth of the female vagina? I'm being scientific, not crude.

Because you said "YOUR" and that, I believe, is going to far.

Tri said:
Who would write a song about that? I don't buy it. According to articles Stanne was feeling shit when he wrote Projector. Why go around wondering about elements and nature, when you can't sleep? You'll just make it worse.
I very much doubt Mikael would feel like shit because of not having sex, so writing a song about sex because he felt like shit because of it is pretty much ruled out. Band members spend months a year at touring and in the studio, so even those who are married / have a girlfriend/boyfriend are used to not having sex for long period at a time. I doubt sex is the number one thing in their minds when they're writing (most) songs or when they're touring (although that would explain the pictures in their tour bus :D).

UndoControl said:
Quote:Originally Posted by Mikael and Judith
the tone of which his birth ascend
an insight made it clear

life appears in the universe

And the insight that made it clear? Did Mikael understand what life was all about?

birth ascend, a heart descend makes me thing to something that comes alive. But I didnt said that Mikael understood what life was about. An inside made it clear could just mean that its clear that something new and different appeared?

Originally Posted by Judith
"I starve myself for energy": the guy is curious about how the nature works, how it came to be what it is.

I didn't get this. How does "I starve myself for energy" mean that?

Thats just the way I saw it: the guy want energy: maybe he wants to know where the energy comes from (i really feel like I cant express my thoughts at all today :p maybe that I am tired...)

Quote:Originally Posted by Mikael
was it always solid, to never change?

Quote:Originally Posted by Judith
Was it always like this, will we always have questions that cant be answered?

I think that part could mean "Was it (the universe / life / nature) always the way it is ("solid"=ordered/etc, "to never change" = always ruled by the same laws)?"

I agree too

Because you said "YOUR" and that, I believe, is going to far.

Well surely you understand the logic in me saying your... You think vaginas are some kind of infinite cavern that physics don't apply to. I guess I could have said "so all the vaginas you've seen are never ending?" but I took the easy road and assumed as you are female you were merely comparing the songs mention of infinite vaginal space to your own. It's simply anatomy my dear. No lines (logically as far as I can see) have even been drawn in this conversation, and to cross a line that doesn't exist would be a mean feat of me. One that I'd want to be remembered for. Forever.

Judith said:
birth ascend, a heart descend makes me thing to something that comes alive. But I didnt said that Mikael understood what life was about. An inside made it clear could just mean that its clear that something new and different appeared?
The word 'insight' is what's misleading there. Insight means looking into something, usually to question it / its nature, so if "insight made it clear" my guess is that looking into life made its nature clear [to Stanne].

Judith said:
Thats just the way I saw it: the guy want energy: maybe he wants to know where the energy comes from (i really feel like I cant express my thoughts at all today :p maybe that I am tired...)
Don't worry, i get it now. :)

UndoControl said:
I very much doubt Mikael would feel like shit because of not having sex, so writing a song about sex because he felt like shit because of it is pretty much ruled out. Band members spend months a year at touring and in the studio, so even those who are married / have a girlfriend/boyfriend are used to not having sex for long period at a time. I doubt sex is the number one thing in their minds when they're writing (most) songs or when they're touring (although that would explain the pictures in their tour bus :D).

You don't get it, but I won't argue anymore and I'm sorry, but I never listen to people tryi8ng to prove me wrong.

Tell me! What pictures? Sundin in this summers latest swimwear? No seriously, tell me..

Doesnt Insight also mean that you found out something?

I think ThereIn is about the narrator's pysche actually. I cant find words Im really happy with, but the lyrics remind me a lot of the time when I was doing really bad. Especially "Thundering silence", "Uncontrolled Calm", "logic / chaos / logic" or
an insight made it clear
order stormed the surface
where chaos set norm

crawl out of science
a dreamland if you dear
disorder clawed the boundaries

The things you see or perceive during depression can be extreme, which is expressed by "crawl out of science", they shift from the real world into the "dreamland", where his disorder is ripping apart reality, because his perception is clouded so much

as there were no witnesses
there was nothing to be told
as nothing could be grasped
the story could unfold
superimposed on the elemtens of anger
/ fear / anxiety / hate / despair / remorse

In his mind he is alone, the things he sees or feels, he cant tell to anyone because he's afraid or because there are no words for his story in the first place. And above all is a feeling of anger and chaotic feelings.

Is anyone with me on this? ;)

thats also a good interpretation. And I dont know why everytime i listen to this song I always feel sad.

thats what I like with DT's lyrics, they can be interpreted in a lots of ways and still make sense.