Song Survivor - Metallica - Ride the Lightning *RUNOFF ROUND*

VOTE FOR YOUR FAVORITE SONG

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
that's about as harsh as he'd been by that time.

True greatness doesn't require the "at the time" stipulation.

"his voice wasn't that harsh so B+" is all that needs to be said about crimmies take on it. One of the best songs from one of the best thrash albums of all time. Easily up there with the best of the subgenre

Not even close. 5th or 6th best song on the album.

So what kind of Hetfield voice did you want for that song? Are you saying it just wasn't a song Hetfield was capable of doing well?

So what kind of Hetfield voice did you want for that song? Are you saying it just wasn't a song Hetfield was capable of doing well?
he wanted his voice to be harsher, because you know ... harshness = true greatness.

Forget the fact that he was 20(and his voice was still "growing'), forget the fact that the song wouldn't have sounded as good even if his voice was harsher ... what matters is that it just wasnt harsh enough for crimmy so therefore its a B+ and the 6th best song on the album.

Reactions: CiG
Nah it definitely is. The contrast between the almost caveman-like DUH DUH DUHDUHDUH vocal/guitar rhythm and the extremely intricate and technical riffing in between is like nothing else. Plus it's that one verse that inspired the entire existence of Mekong Delta.
Thought you didn't like vocal lines that copied the guitarwork? I remember you voting off Iron Man for this reason.

Thought you didn't like vocal lines that copied the guitarwork? I remember you voting off Iron Man for this reason.

Generally yes, but it depends on a bunch of factors. In the case of Iron Man, that one riff/melody is long, repeats itself a bunch of times and makes up the bulk of the song. In the case of FFWF it's different because it's a short six second phrase repeated only eight times in the entire song, it has the mentioned technical riffing in between the vocal lines, and it also has a great instrumental bridge. It helps that the vocal/guitar rhythm emphasize a bit of a weird beat relative to the straight-forward drumming, such that you could almost cut out the vocals from the verses and you'd still be left with a really neat and choppy riff that could pass on its own merits.

By contrast, I only enjoy Battery for the intro, because the vocal melodies and riffs (of both the verses and the chorus) follow each other excessively in that song.

Reactions: jimmy101
As already stated in the previous round, I like all remaining songs more or less the same, but I've decided in favour of "Fight Fire with Fire", because it was the first Metallica-song I heard and one of the greatest musical revelations I've ever experienced, so there are always very positive memories connected with this song. For me, it's not only the best "straight in your face" thrash metal song by Metallica, but also one of the best of its kind in general.

CREEPING DEATH is the ultimate Metallica song. The other two are also excellent. It doesn't matter which one wins here; I will be satisfied with each one getting the credit of being the best.

that's interesting, i dont remember doing some kind of official poll last round and a few of us even said we'd be cool with a run off round. Anyway, going from 4 songs to a winner doesn't really make much sense when we have this many voters.
Actually you were the only person that wanted a run off round and coincidentally you also wanted FFWF to win. This shit sure does smell.

actually HBB was the first person to suggest a run off round.

And what are you even talking about? Something is fishy about me suggesting an album that has over 15 voters should have a proper 1vs1 finishing round? How in the world does that sound fishy? You crying about the fact that we didnt just give it to your favorite because of a three way tie is much more telling.

PEOPLE ARE GONNA VITE! SMELLS LIKE SHIT :lol: