Song Survivor - Metallica - Ride the Lightning round 2

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
So “Escape” has escaped us and with it goes “Trapped Under Ice”. I’m mildly upset about the latter, although I’d be voting it out this round anyway.

Vote for the 2 weakest tracks.

Poll will remain open for 4 days.

Getting more difficult at this point. But I’m going with “Fight Fire with Fire” and “For Whom the Bell Tolls”.

Reactions: Dak
I knew I’d be one of the only ones championing the title track. It’s part of the reason I wanted to do this! Always been one of my favourites. Might have been my first Metallica song actually!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sophii
To be fair, a Bathory fanboy voting out For Whom the Bell Tolls this round is even more egregious.

Here's my PtK autism notes:

Riot Of Violence - 5/5
Choir of the Damned/Ripping Corpse - 3.5/5, 4.5/5 (forgot how that one riff sounds like Phobophile a decade ahead of its time, a classical-tinged respite among all the really savage death/thrash shit)
The Pestilence - 4/5 (more death/thrashy, something about it reminds me of Darkness Descends)
Pleasure to Kill - 3.5/5 (also like a sped-up Endless Pain, the mid-tempo groovy riff in the bridge is the highlight)
Carrion - 3.5/5 (similarities with Death Is Your Saviour, but this one is better)
Death Is Your Saviour - 3.5/5 (more like an Endless Pain song sped way up)
Command Of The Blade - 3.5/5 (Ventor, more sped-up Endless Pain, that power chord trill at the end of the main riff is very familiar, maybe Exodus but not quite I don't think, verses are kinda weak-ish but the parts in between keep this a 3.5)
Under The Guillotine - 3/5 (riff around 1:50 is cool but not enough, overall the least remarkable song)

I think my preferences towards that album are pretty ordinary.

Reactions: Dak
God this was hard. And I hate this because i love all the tracks.

Fight Fire With Fire and Fade to Black.
I hate doing that.

My rankings for Ride the Lightning:

1 The Call of Ktutu
2 For Whom the Bell Tolls
3 Ride the Lightning
4 Fight Fire with Fire
5 Trapped Under Ice
6 Creeping Death
7 Fade to Black
8 Escape

I’d hardly call myself a Bathory fanboy. More of a Under the Sign of the Black Mark fanboy.

I dunno, there’s a lot to love about For Whom the Bell Tolls. But also parts that don’t engage me as much. It’s also the only Metallica song they ever play at any “metal” clubs I’ve been to. That along with Maiden’s Fear of the Dark seem to be staples. Along with the jumping da fuck up of Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.

For Whom the Bell Tolls
Trapped Under Ice
Ride the Lightning
Escape
Call of Ktulu
Fade to Black
Fight Fire with Fire
Creeping Death

I’d hardly call myself a Bathory fanboy. More of a Under the Sign of the Black Mark fanboy.

I dunno, there’s a lot to love about For Whom the Bell Tolls. But also parts that don’t engage me as much. It’s also the only Metallica song they ever play at any “metal” clubs I’ve been to. That along with Maiden’s Fear of the Dark seem to be staples. Along with the jumping da fuck up of Slipknot and Limp Biscuit.

"People that like things that I don't like like that song, therefore I don't like it"

Reactions: CiG
Again I’ve never said I don’t like it. I even said when I made the first thread that other than Escape I love every song on here.

Not even Enter Sandman?

Yup. It’s quite odd. As I thought that’d be more popular. But nope, it’s always For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Nothing. I was more commenting on the bizarre fact they play For Whom the Bell Tolls along with these tracks by Limp Bizkit and Slipknot and what have you, over more obvious Metallica tracks like I dunno, Enter Sandman as Jimmy said or some shit from St Anger. Which would seem to fit more in with this crowd.