Song Survivor - Morbid Angel - Blessed are the Sick round 1

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks on Blessed are the Sick

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Phylactery

Feb 3, 2016
United Kingdom
th

Thought I'd give this one a go. Fucking classic album that most people will have heard and a towering monument to all that is blasphemous and unholy. I love this album so much.

I'm not going to include the interludes because then it'd make the first round pretty boring, although "Desolate Ways" is beautiful.

Vote for the 3 weakest tracks. Poll will remain open for 5 days.

Last edited:
Reactions: Satanstoenail
The Ancient Ones (plodding deathened trad metal), Unholy Blasphemies (generic death/thrash), and Fall From Grace (only marginally more interesting). Most of the album is boring song-wise and the production is among Burns' very worst.

“Desolate Ways” is awesome! Much better then “In Remembrance”.

I can’t deal with the criticisms of “Fall From Grace” and “The Ancient Ones”.

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmy101
Blessed Are the Sick/Leading the Rats, Unholy Blasphemies and The Ancient Ones are pretty weak so I guess I'll opt to have those axed first. Not that great of an album though. Especially when you consider the year it came out in with the likes of Immolation and Gorguts having also released albums then.

Jesus Christ! Votes for Fall From Grace, Blessed are the Sick and The Ancient Ones already! What is wrong with you lot! I never expected this!

Turns out this song survivor is going to be far less predictable than I ever imagined!

How's Fall From Grace weak?

Feels disconnected, in a bad way. I guess it's largely the poor drumming, he doesn't play to the riffs at all, like there's some cool twisty riffage but often he just blasts over it, and when they're in concert it's just standard death metal. It's probably one of the more original songs but their followers did it better. But honestly for third pick I could have voted for most songs that aren't Abominations, it's just not a very good album, very inconsistent.

Yeah. Definitely one of my favourite Morbid Angel songs in general!

“Realm of the ancient ones, malignant ones!”

“Come forth ancient ones, Tiamat, Cthulhu, Rise, greet the cursed with your wrath
My enemies are yours
Twist their minds with your spells
Crush their souls
With your infernal grasp!”

“Raise the horns in blasphemy!”

Just really memorable!

Last edited:
Blessed Are the Sick/Leading the Rats, Unholy Blasphemies and The Ancient Ones are pretty weak so I guess I'll opt to have those axed first. Not that great of an album though. Especially when you consider the year it came out in with the likes of Immolation and Gorguts having also released albums then.

I like Considered Dead quite a bit but come on now. It’s not on the same level as Blessed are the Sick. Considered Dead is a pretty standard affair, and definitely isn’t pushing the genre forward in the way Blessed are the Sick was in 1991.

Don't really see how Blessed Are the Sick is pushing death metal forward so much so that you would dismiss Gorguts by comparison. Considered Dead is a bassy proto-technical nightmarish death metal gem with a solid production and some pretty adventurous songwriting. 30% of Blessed Are the Sick is made up of the Thy Kingdom Come demo from 1987.

Don't really see how Blessed Are the Sick is pushing death metal forward so much so that you would dismiss Gorguts by comparison. Considered Dead is a bassy proto-technical nightmarish death metal gem with a solid production and some pretty adventurous songwriting. 30% of Blessed Are the Sick is made up of the Thy Kingdom Come demo from 1987.
Yeah, pretty much this.