songs that give you chills

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
What songs can you say have honestly and literally, given you chills? I can only think of a couple from the last few years or so. There is probably more, but these are the only ones I can think of and from recent memory.

Dream Theater - Space-Dye Vest

Crammed with emotion, and I was pretty messed up when I first got into it. No particular part in the song, pretty much most of it overall. Brilliant song.

Iced Earth - Gettysburg

I know most people here that care were disappointed with Iced Earth's most recent release, but I really dig it, and Gettysburg is fucking killer. It also gets bonus points, because there is two parts that got me. The "brother against brother" part in Hold At All Costs, that launches into that awesome riff gets me every time. Heaps of emotion. The other part is Armistead's speech in High Water Mark, is fucking awesome. Ripper did a phenomenal job playing the characters and putting across such emotion. I love it. Bring on the DVD.

Metallica - The Ecstacy Of Gold/The Call Of Ktulu/Master Of Puppets (S&M)

When I went out and bought S&M on the day of release, I was still drunk from the night before, so the first time I listened to it I was pretty messed up, and listening to the first few songs still makes me feel weird lol. The Ecstacy Of Gold I associate more with the gig from the start of last year now though.

Where Dead Angels Lie - Dissection: The lyrics and guitar solos/embellishments are amazing, and the guitar tone for the solos/embellishments is different to anything ive ever heard, plus the vocals sound really haunting. Most of the time when they talk about an album having "perfect production" in black metal they are talking through their arse, but this album has it..

Fear And Wonder - Dimmu Borgir: Just an instrumental, but Beethoven would have been proud of it, its fucking amazing :worship: :worship:

Allegiance - Dimmu Borgir: The way the track starts off with the marching beat and then the keyboards and stuff come in :headbang:

Raining Blood - Slayer: Drums intro.

War Ensemble - Slayer: When that ascending riff first comes in and the double bass is under it :worship:

Before The Dawn - Judas Priest: Just the whole track, Robs singing fucking rules on it.

Rise Of The Predator - Destroyer 666: They have a sample from a movie or something where a guy is talking about reducing the world to ashes, its so fucking cool.

Sons Of Perdition - Destroyer 666: The chorus, its catchier than a Bon Jovi song.

Ramses Bringer Of War - Nile: The intro to this song is just about the best ever, especially when the horn sounds off :worship:

That will do for now...

Revelation (Mother Earth) - Ozzy

Pretty much the whole song... but in particular the classical piano bit in the middle which then leads into that killer riff and the guitar solo.

The Spirit Carries On - Dream Theater

Especially the Live Scenes from NY DVD version.

I can't really think of any to be honest. Music doesn't have that emotional impact on me that it does for some people. I get more out of books and movies than from songs in that way.

there are a few, but the one that springs to mind at the moment is

Modus Vivendi - Misinformation

the song is a simple masterpiece. It's a pity the band is now defunct.

I think some Slayer might have hit me upon first listens, but that was so long ago I can't remember which song(s). Probably the intro to Raining Blood and/or Dead Skin Mask. Actually, I think Dead Skin Mask did, the creapy bit at the end with the voices in the background.

A lot of Priest/Halford stuff gets me, but it is different, not really shivers or chills. I'm not sure what it is really. Out In The Cold, and Halford's version of Prisoner Of Your Eyes are the shit.

Good thread :)

Ones that come to mind for me,

Van Halen - Dreams

Bruce Dickinson - Tears of the Dragon

Dream Theater - Surrounded

Michael Kiske - Always

The Bangles - Eternal Flame :D

The one moment in a song that gives me the most chills is when Sebastian Bach shrieks "That chiiiiiild blew a chiiiiiiiiiiild awaaaaaaaaaay" in 18 & Life.

I thought of one, kids - the end of Waiting for 22 by Queensryche, when it starts playing the stuff from the beginning of the album. Chills, man, chills.

Pretty much every single Pain of Salvation song has this weird emotional effect on me... But one very good example is This Heart of Mine (I Pledge) from Remedy Lane. The part where Daniel sings "I believe this heart of mine when it tells the skies
That this is the face of God" and then the guitar solo kicks in. As soon as that solo starts, I lose it everytime! Fuckin beautiful song :headbang: