Gettysburg

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
I have been listening to this so much over the last week, it is fucking amazing. One of the best pieces of metal I have ever heard, no exaggeration. It boggles the mind that the same mind that wrote this whole epic also comes up with cheesey shite like 'When The Eagle Cries', and mediocre stuff like 'Hollow Man'. Not to worry though, Gettysburg is worth the price of the album alone, it is just incredible. If it was released as a seperate EP or something, it would be a contender for my favourite IE release alongside BO. God I can't wait for the DVD!
Ripper sounds amazing, I never imagined he would fit the music so well and sound so good, and I NEVER thought I would be left thinking 'Matt who?', especially since I love Matt's vocals so much. I also didn't think it would be able to stack up against the other trilogies Jon has written, but it outstrips them by a mile. I think its main strength is that all three songs are excellent and the quality doesn't slip throughout the whole thing, where as with say the Something Wicked trilogy, The Coming Curse is clearly the best song of the 3.
Listening to it again today I noticed a few parts that have a very Maiden-ish feel about them, more so than I have noticed in any other Iced Earth material. As far as epics go, I think Jon has even outdone Maiden this time, hell he has outdone everyone. The emotion and atmosphere at the start of Hold At All Costs (the Brother Against Brother part leading into the awesome riffing), and at the climax in High Water Mark (Armistead's speech) literally send shivers down my spine and knocks me around every time. Absolutley. Fucking. Brilliant.

I went to JB first and they said they would have it within the week (this was over a week ago), so I went to Metal Mayhem to get it. They charged $35 for the 2CD, so it should be cheaper at JB, and they should have it by now.

Sprucey, you think the emotion at the end of A Question Of Heaven is good, you should hear the parts I mentioned above. Incredible.

I have a very different opinion, but will have to give it a better listen before I hand-down my final judgement.

OOoooo, conflicting opinions. Should be interesting.

On my first couple of listens I really liked it, but it was after listening with the lyrics and linear notes, and getting the emotional melodies stuck in my head that made me really love it and listen to it more, and it was in these sittings that I realised how amazing Ripper sounds. He does such a good job.

Its most certainly very good, but not as good as the Something Wicked Trilogy! Maybe equal to the Dark Saga trilogy, but the first track is a bit weak in that one. I need more time to listen to Gettysburg though I think.

Someone needs to say this, Matt would have done better. Stupid fucking nancy homeland defender that he is. Grr.

When it comes to epicness I think Jon outdid Maiden and pretty much everyone else a LONG time ago, you can definitely listen to IE albums and see which songs he was most inspired by when he was writing!

I'll have a report ready late this evening or tomorrow. :)
I'll listen to Dante's Inferno and the Something Wicked Trilogy too to give me something to compare it too.

Well the Alive In Athens version of Dante's Inferno has just finished entertaining me for the past 16 minutes and 23 seconds.

With the slight exception of Larry Tarnowski and Matthew-Argh Barlow-Argh it was very impressive. Heavy and interesting. Good stuff sir.

:headbang:

:p :Spin:

AIA is great, but I don't listen to it that often. I when it comes to BO tracks, I prefer the remaster, it just sounds so good. I can't believe they left 'Colors' off of AIA, it is one of the best live performances ever. They play it so fast, it RIPS, and Barlow sounds awesome.

Dantes Inferno rules, and the AIA version kicks ass :headbang: Though the remaster/remixed version is unbelieveable, when Jon puts his mind to it, he kicks so much ass :headbang: