Sony sound forge, good/bad?

nwright

Apr 19, 2005
New Castle, Indiana
www.myspace.com
Anyone think this is a decent wav editor? It's around 70 bucks here for the latest version and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I have an oooold version of sound forge that I use currently, but I think I may step up.

Any pros/cons or other software at that price point worth considering.

What I'd really like to have is a wav editor that allows VST plug ins. I believe this new version of SF does (my old one was directX only and had to be applied one at a time). Also, this new version of Sound Forge lets you set up a mastering chain that can be saved, IIRC...That sounds kinda cool.

Thoughts?

Anyone think this is a decent wav editor? It's around 70 bucks here for the latest version and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I have an oooold version of sound forge that I use currently, but I think I may step up.

Any pros/cons or other software at that price point worth considering.

What I'd really like to have is a wav editor that allows VST plug ins. I believe this new version of SF does (my old one was directX only and had to be applied one at a time). Also, this new version of Sound Forge lets you set up a mastering chain that can be saved, IIRC...That sounds kinda cool.

Thoughts?

way worth it
i use sound forge every single day

man i dont like anything from sonicfoundry / sony exxccepttt cd architect
but almost every band that i know or worked with uses soundforge or vegas to get ideas down , dunno why, maybe cuz its simple and it gets some job done fast, if thats what you need , why not, get it, and if it supports vsts sounds pretty good.

I use it and fucking love it.

Mostly for how it integrates seamlessly into sonar and also the new izotope bundle sold it for me.

Although I´m a Cubase SX3 user, I really like Ableton Live 6 for writting loops and electronic stuff, but the lack of a real sample editor on this DAW makes it a nightmare to use. Anyway, Live has this option to load an external sample editor and I would like to know if any of you can recommend me a nice WAV editor with a simple interface. I don´t need any advanced features, just fades, gain control, put silence... these kind of basic stuff.
Is SoundForge the way to go?

Thanks for your comments. This would strictly be for mastering, setting fades and cuts, etc. I can do it all in the version of SF I have now, but wonder if it'll be worth it to step up.

Are there any veterans of the software that could compare version 5 (which is what I have now) to the latest?

I don't get much from the Sony website in terms of comparison to the old stuff...Well, I haven't found much anyway.

Thanks for your comments. This would strictly be for mastering, setting fades and cuts, etc. I can do it all in the version of SF I have now, but wonder if it'll be worth it to step up.

Are there any veterans of the software that could compare version 5 (which is what I have now) to the latest?

I don't get much from the Sony website in terms of comparison to the old stuff...Well, I haven't found much anyway.

Does 5 support 24 bit? That would be pretty big for me. I think the are on version 9 now so.....

Although I´m a Cubase SX3 user, I really like Ableton Live 6 for writting loops and electronic stuff, but the lack of a real sample editor on this DAW makes it a nightmare to use. Anyway, Live has this option to load an external sample editor and I would like to know if any of you can recommend me a nice WAV editor with a simple interface. I don´t need any advanced features, just fades, gain control, put silence... these kind of basic stuff.
Is SoundForge the way to go?

http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/

The free version does everything you want.

Sound Forge isn't bad, but I think at this point, there are better, cheaper (often free) solutions for basic wav editing and the such. But hey, if you work better in SF than whatever else, that's really all that matters.

sound forge was good back in the day. anything after 7.0 just isn't the same. its really gone down hill. I've used it since like version 4 or something. I started recording on it.

but i agree with gumplunger, there are better and cheaper (especially this) software out there. I also think sony has destroyed this great product.

also look into Audacity. its free.