Sorry to bring up another one but .

This is correct. I don't know if some of you guys realize this, but just because it's written by a so called "historian" doesn't make it true. Ancient historians and the like have been known to stretch truths and to notate hearsay as actual history. There's no real quality control in the ancient world to research and back up writings.
It's really just like the internet.:loco:

Not 100% true.

Several historians documented one Jewish man named Jesus/Christ that had allot of followers during his lifetime(The name alters between Jesus/Christ in these documents, but describes the same man.).
There are other documents from Jewish sources at the time that claims that a man named Jesus should be stoned for practicing sorcery.

So most "evidence" of his existence appeared after his death, but there where some non-religious historical documents from his lifetime that mentioned him.
I want to recall that the crucifixion was documented by the romans at the time as well?

It's good to keep in mind that Jesus was a popular name and people were crucified on a daily basis. Crucifixion was a part of everyday life.

+1 man, it was very common for someone to be crucified for stealing, rape, etc., pretty much any reason. Especially if you were touting a different belief ;)

~006

It's good to keep in mind that Jesus was a popular name and people were crucified on a daily basis. Crucifixion was a part of everyday life.

Yes, but the romans didnt document most cases.

Anyways, ive read some new material around the net, where historians have checked how much truth the bible speaks in historical matter, and it was less then 20% accurate.
There wasn't much evidence of that Jesus actually existed, and most modern historians seem to agree that Jesus might have existed, but thats about it.
He is documented, but the documents are either to old, written by unreliable historians or that the documents simply contained to little information to connect the name with the biblical figure.

Ive seen many documentaries about this stuff, that claimed allot of historical evidence of jesus, but after researching on my own that "evidence" was really unreliable.. ..So im changing my previous statement to: Its unlikely that the person the bible speaks of ever existed.

Oh, and an interesting piece of information regarding Jesus resurrection: If the spear cut into his lung, instead of heart, that might have saved his life.
The reason is that there is two things that causes death when hanged:

A) Drowning from fluids building up within the lungs.
B) Heartfailure.

This would cause blood and water to run out of the body separately, which is mentioned in the bible.
Not that it has much to do with the thread, but its an interesting medical fact about it. :p

I thoroughly enjoy documentaries on these subjects as well. I saw one maybe about a year ago speculating they may have found jesus final resting place. And your right, there is virtually no way of telling what is true and what if false in a single historical writing. But if enough ancient writings are found referring to a single event then it's definitely worth looking more into.

Interesting crucifixion facts btw!

Nope. Closest things we have are forgeries, and insurgents of that popularity were documented. The magnitude of the fail in the forgeries is simply shocking, as well.

In addition, the story in the Bible couldn't be consistent with actual practice - if Jews rioted at all Caiaphas would be in danger of losing his job, so it's not likely that he'd let himself be associated with a riot at Pontius Pilate's place, just to pick one glaring defect.

Jeff

Your user title says "Retired, Non-Tax payer" and your sense of humour demonstrated in the funny picture threads does not really match up with what you would expect from an older man :lol: Also, you have made some snide comments about religion in the past that you wouldn't expect from someone who has lived a full life and learned to accept living in a world of religion.

btw, I am as atheistic as they come. Also, the accounts about Jesus made by Josephus (whom Christians LOVE to use when you ask for another account other than the bible) is a second-hand account and most historians would agree is not sufficient evidence. I don't believe Jesus was a miracle-worker by any means. Did he exist? Probably. But as already expressed in this thread, he was a guy with a small following that preached through parables and generally had a good message that is applicable to anyone's life. I however view most of his lessons as preaching a misanthropic life of the world and human life.

The Josephus thing actually referring to the man himself was a forgery. The writing style changes completely, he is called the messiah (not quite in line with Josephus' strong Jewish association), and the oldest known copy of that section dates to a time when Eusebius, a Catholic church figure, was in control and telling people that it was okay to lie for the Holy Spirit.

If he existed, it certainly wasn't at all like the Bible portrayal. Anyone from his times would be as surprised to see today's world if we transported millenia into the future and saw that Clay Aiken's television appearances fueled nuclear holocaust.

Jeff

The Josephus thing actually referring to the man himself was a forgery. The writing style changes completely, he is called the messiah (not quite in line with Josephus' strong Jewish association), and the oldest known copy of that section dates to a time when Eusebius, a Catholic church figure, was in control and telling people that it was okay to lie for the Holy Spirit.

Will there you have it!

If he existed, it certainly wasn't at all like the Bible portrayal. Anyone from his times would be as surprised to see today's world if we transported millenia into the future and saw that Clay Aiken's television appearances fueled nuclear holocaust.

:lol:

Your user title says "Retired, Non-Tax payer" and your sense of humour demonstrated in the funny picture threads does not really match up with what you would expect from an older man :lol: Also, you have made some snide comments about religion in the past that you wouldn't expect from someone who has lived a full life and learned to accept living in a world of religion.

Well that's just not fair. :lol: (childish pun) To be honest, I do NOT find most of the things I post in the "funny picture" thread funny at all. It's all random. I post them just incase someone gets a kick out of that brand of humor. Might bring a smile to a random face. As for my "title". Can I really believe that you are "Omniscient"? :Smug:

Religion, the longer I live the more I dislike it. I accept it in an individual, meaning I'm not going to lash out at one for being ignorant. :rolleyes:

preparation-h.gif

Sorry if you feel insulted in anyway. :saint:

Lets just assume a man named "Jesus" perhaps did exist and might even have been of some higher power and his dads name was in fact "God".

The bible says "Jesus died on the cross for our sins" so in my mind that means that every sin committed from then on is forgiven, right? That could explain why no one's prays really gets answered evidently like receiving a Gmail message, because the bible kind of all ready says "hey guys I give up, your shit's forgiven when you bastards killed jesus". Then that got me thinking, why do Christians confess, if god sees and knows all? Is it actually the guilt of killing the person that they worship?

If god is the "jealous" type (a human emotion) who says he cannot be vengeful too and just couldn't give a fuck about who prays for what and who actually worships him?

*This post = Completely off topic*