step back and think for a second

FreaKitchen

Apr 11, 2004
www.angelfire.com
I'll admit that I'm pretty new to this forum...but there is a ton of bitching going on about stuff. Granted, maybe the new setlist is not to many peoples' liking....but I think the band has a right to play whichever tunes they want to play. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that In Flames are "going downhill" as several people have created posts about. Yes, their sound has evolved from TJR years, and yes they've grown as musicians over that span. Anyone who thinks that IF has sold out or completely abandoned their routes is just ignorant, and anyone who calls them "wiggers" or "nu-metal" is just a fucking moron. While putting out 5 identical records may be appealing to a fan base, I can almost guarantee that it's extremely monotonous and boring to an artist. So I don't really care if I'm the only one who enjoys their show this time around, this is going to be my first time seeing the band and I intend to enjoy it.

Why make a new topic about this? What you said is the same thing everyone else says, and it's just stupid and repetitive, and pointless. And if you're getting mad what some kids say on the internet, then you're just "ignorant" and a "moron" yourself.

FreaKitchen said:
I'll admit that I'm pretty new to this forum...but there is a ton of bitching going on about stuff. Granted, maybe the new setlist is not to many peoples' liking....but I think the band has a right to play whichever tunes they want to play. Also, I don't think it's accurate to say that In Flames are "going downhill" as several people have created posts about. Yes, their sound has evolved from TJR years, and yes they've grown as musicians over that span. Anyone who thinks that IF has sold out or completely abandoned their routes is just ignorant, and anyone who calls them "wiggers" or "nu-metal" is just a fucking moron. While putting out 5 identical records may be appealing to a fan base, I can almost guarantee that it's extremely monotonous and boring to an artist. So I don't really care if I'm the only one who enjoys their show this time around, this is going to be my first time seeing the band and I intend to enjoy it.
I think you need to shut the fuck up since you just made yourself appear pretty stupid. They have regressed as musicians since the Jester Race, not grown. If you don't believe me, then why does Anders force the band to incorporate modern influences into the music? ex. whiny vocals and electronica garbage

Shit, get this...he probably incorporates different elements into his music because he...likes the way it sounds? If you don't like the direction they've taken, just stop listening to them..that simple...why don't you make better music yourself? Or just stop bitching on the internet.

Freak but you guys need to realize these are all just everyones opinion and theres no sense in flaming the man because of his. We all think differently and instead of everyone getting all pissed off try to CONTEMPLATE for a second someone elses ideas.

FreaKitchen said:
:wave: :hotjump: :wave: :hotjump: :wave: :hotjump: :wave:

The dude is right...The only fucking reason why In Flames are still around and so popular is because they werent scared of tring new stuff...stuff they wanted to try! Cant you see? They dont give a shit about your opinion or mine..they play what they feel like playing...and i'm getting really sick of hearing some people say that they have regressed as muscicians.....go on and try to compose songs like that just for fun...your allowed to dislike the new stuff....but damn..stop saying that they sold-out, or that they have a terrible sound...cause the only they did ..is music! Its In Flames...live with it or leave

BastrdDrmr said:
I think you need to shut the fuck up since you just made yourself appear pretty stupid. They have regressed as musicians since the Jester Race, not grown. If you don't believe me, then why does Anders force the band to incorporate modern influences into the music? ex. whiny vocals and electronica garbage
I think you need to shut the fuck up. How have they regressed as musicians? How do you know Anders is forcing them to change their sound? If I recall correctly, they started changing more when Peter and Daniel joined the band, and Anders has been around a lot longer then them. How do you know Daniel and Peter aren't requesting the change? You're just a closed minded asshole that won't appreciate anything they do unless they cover TJR a 10 times and keep releasing it over and over. Heres a thought; If you love TJR so much, why don't you listen to that and stop complaining about the new stuff? No one is making you listen to the new stuff, and you should have no trouble finding a bunch of recycled Gothenburg bands that sound an awful lot like old IF (Fission, Arise, Detonation, etc etc etc etc etc.)

And don't bother replying to this with some dumbass post about STYE being Nu Metal, because you and I both know thats an exorbitant claim, as it is the least bit Nu Metal.

STYE rocks the hell out of any fuckinh nu-metal shit! Its a great album...and...lots of songs onR2r are fucking crazy also...if your not in the band..dont think you know things about them if you dont....like Bjorn once said : some people know more about us that we do ( in a very descourage and sarcastic way )...your one of them!..im just saying...if you dont like it....just dont say it every time you have a chance...people do like their new stuf.....I'm a very hardcore fan of the old In Flames..but I appreciate the great work they have been doing recently

I was wondering the same thing... :) ...lord knows the debate still unfortunately rages on, despite the fact that the guys are bringing back Artifacts and even fucking Graveland to their off-tour stops. As for ozzfest, the only crime was a 20 minute set..the setlist, as predictable as expected for a north american festival, still fucking rocked

well the usual new ones off stye and r2r, clayman, food for the gods, moonshield, behind space, episode 666, colony, pinball, embody, jotun, was fucking greatest set ever from the last few years.

yea but i hate when bands say, 'we're making music for ourselves, we dont care what fans think.' as mike amott said, fans are PART of the band. you cant tell me a band like in flames decided they WANTED to make basic sounding modern nu-metal (and the new stuff IS nu-metal) because they liked it. did they wake up one day and collectively say 'hey, colony was the best album we have ever made, but fuck it, there's way too much lead guitar work.' maybe, but highly doubtful. im sure they wrote catchy-chorus filled, uninspired albums so they could appeal to the masses and get more popular. but that's just my opinion.

Black Tears said:
I think you need to shut the fuck up. How have they regressed as musicians? How do you know Anders is forcing them to change their sound? If I recall correctly, they started changing more when Peter and Daniel joined the band, and Anders has been around a lot longer then them. How do you know Daniel and Peter aren't requesting the change? You're just a closed minded asshole that won't appreciate anything they do unless they cover TJR a 10 times and keep releasing it over and over. Heres a thought; If you love TJR so much, why don't you listen to that and stop complaining about the new stuff? No one is making you listen to the new stuff, and you should have no trouble finding a bunch of recycled Gothenburg bands that sound an awful lot like old IF (Fission, Arise, Detonation, etc etc etc etc etc.)

And don't bother replying to this with some dumbass post about STYE being Nu Metal, because you and I both know thats an exorbitant claim, as it is the least bit Nu Metal.

I hate that argument. Ive said it before and Ill say it again: IT IS POSSIBLE FOR A BAND TO PROGRESS AS MUSICIANS AND AS A COLLECTIVE BAND WHILE STILL RETAINING ELEMENTS THAT GOT THEM TO WHERE THEY ARE IN THE FIRST PLACE. NEVERMORE IS A PRIME EXAMPLE OF A BAND THAT HAS PROGRESSED IN EVERY WAY AND THEYRE STILL HEAVY AS FUCKING HELL WITH AMAZING GUITAR WORK AND EXCELLENT VOCALS. THEY PROGRESS WITH THEIR SONGWRITING, ESPECIALLY ON THIS GODLESS ENDEAVOR (THE TITLE TRACK IS THE BEST THING THEYVE EVER WRITTEN. HAS IN FLAMES EVER TRIED TO WRITE A HEAVY, EMOTIONAL EPIC 8-9 MIN SONG? NO, THEY CHOSE TO 'PROGRESS' BY WATERING DOWN THEIR MUSIC SO THEY COULD APPEAL TO A MASS AUDIENCE. IF YOU CANT SEE THIS, YOU'RE BLIND.

FreaKitchen said:

Okay, i have no idea about the new setlist and yes, I agree that the band has every right to be able to play whatever the hell they want. However, if by "growing as musicians" you mean starting off as a band who play beautiful twin melodic leads, fairly complicated riffs and incredible, techincal solos and then "growing" to a band who play simple watered-down riffs with hardly any solos or leads then you are a moron.

As with abandoning their roots, In Flames have completely lost their melodic death metal sound that made them sound so unique, even from other bands of the same genre and have suited their sound to sell to a more mainstream audience. They now sound no different to any shit you'd see on MTV2. A perfect example of this is Ander's vocals. Who can deny that he really does sound like Korn's frontman nowadays?

In answer to your rather ignorant comment, I, personally never wanted in Flames to put out five records that sound the same but i never wanted them to change their sound so much that they sound like a completely different band altogether.

I'm sure you will enjoy the show alot, as they will be playing some of their old stuff and they are a great band live.