Steve Smyth gets a transplant

ElectricWiz

Steal Your Face
Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I thought this warranted posting here since a lot of us are Nevermore fans, and most of us were probably aware of what was going on with Steve Smyth. By my count, this band has had one hell of a tough couple of years. Warrell collapsed after Enemies of Reality, there were some other health issues in the band, and just....a lot of hurdles for them to overcome. This one was especially tough I thought. There's the obvious, life-changing things for Steve, and the danger, but it was also a tough blow for the band since he was really the perfect match for Loomis. Despite the adversity, This Godless Endeavor was my favorite album last year.....how they do it I'll never know. Steve says he's already writing for the next one! Get well Steve!!! Peace and health to you.
From Blabbermouth:

NEVERMORE Guitarist Undergoes Successful Kidney Transplant Surgery - Jan. 10, 2007
NEVERMORE guitarist Steve Smyth (NEVERMORE, DRAGONLORD, ex-TESTAMENT, VICIOUS RUMORS) has issued the following update:

"The time has finally come to share a very important piece of news directly related to my health. On December 12th, 2006, I had a successful kidney transplant!

"After six straight months on dialysis, changes to my lifestyle and diet, and a very thorough search for a suitable donor, by early August 2006, we had a preliminary match. Several rounds of blood and tissue typing tests had to be subsequently performed to ensure we were a perfect match for transplant; the main reason for my hesitance in saying anything publicly during those months.

"The donor shall remain nameless, but my gratitude to him for his selfless act of kindness and friendship will endure forever! Thank you so much — you have no idea how much this means to me!

"I am now on the road to recovery, as they say. This is mainly requiring a lot of adjustment to medications I will be on for the rest of my life, a small price to pay to be free from dialysis, and the restrictions it places on a person, both mentally and physically. I had no idea how much freedom I took for granted before all of this hit. 2006 was a big revelation of the frailty of human life for me, something I will not take for granted again.

"Where does all this lead to next? I've been advised by my doctors that I will not be able to travel in any capacity for the next six months, as I have to adjust to immunosuppressant drugs to fight any possible form of rejection of the kidney, and my body needs time to recover from this operation, as well as dietary and lifestyle changes. All things that only make one stronger!

Good to hear Steve is doing well. Must be though for him though. Its hard when you are confronted with a serious health problem like this. Things you took for granted are not so normal anymore.

I hope Steve can adjust himself and his lifestyle to this new situation. It looks like Chris Broderick will be touring with Nevermore for quite some time to come.

Good to hear Steve is doing well. Must be though for him though. Its hard when you are confronted with a serious health problem like this. Things you took for granted are not so normal anymore.
I think we can both relate to that, can't we Hawk? I'm just thankful I haven't had to go thru anything (yet) as bad as Steve just did.

For those of you still in good health, be thankful for it. Stop and smell the roses, and then go for a long jog through the garden. Just like your life, you could lose your good health at any time.