still life 5.1 release date: 31st march 2008...

Today for the first time I played the DVD mix of Still Life.
When I started the firts track, I notice that something was not right on the display of my receiver, on the part that shows the type of sound is being decode, DD or DTS for ex, and the speakers that are being decode. Also the sound was "missing" something. The sound is very very gooo with a lots of detail but is missing a thing. The Bass is to week.
Then I checked again in my receiver closely and I saw that, no matter if it was on the DTS or DD track, there was no LFE channel (ie. bass channel).
To confirm this, I introduce one movie with a 5.1 sound track and there it was, the LFE was showed. I inserted the Still Life dvd on my computer and checked the dvd on Powerdvd program, and there it was, once again the confirmation that both DD and DTS tracks lacks of the bass track.
So this mix is only 5.0 track and not a 5.1 as is described on the Still Life booklet.

What a shame once again...
Although the sound is excellent and is in a superior quality, I feel that I've been cheated!!! Just like the Ghost Reveries dvd.

P.S. - No one has seen this problem before??

Today for the first time I played the DVD mix of Still Life.
When I started the firts track, I notice that something was not right on the display of my receiver, on the part that shows the type of sound is being decode, DD or DTS for ex, and the speakers that are being decode. Also the sound was "missing" something. The sound is very very gooo with a lots of detail but is missing a thing. The Bass is to week.
Then I checked again in my receiver closely and I saw that, no matter if it was on the DTS or DD track, there was no LFE channel (ie. bass channel).
To confirm this, I introduce one movie with a 5.1 sound track and there it was, the LFE was showed. I inserted the Still Life dvd on my computer and checked the dvd on Powerdvd program, and there it was, once again the confirmation that both DD and DTS tracks lacks of the bass track.
So this mix is only 5.0 track and not a 5.1 as is described on the Still Life booklet.

What a shame once again...
Although the sound is excellent and is in a superior quality, I feel that I've been cheated!!! Just like the Ghost Reveries dvd.

P.S. - No one has seen this problem before??

Yup, it is a 5.0 mix. Since most people do not run their speakers full range, there will be a lack of deep bass. Let me tell you though, the bass is there. If you are good at sound editing, you can technically create an LFE channel and insert it in the right order to make a 5.1 mix. I would say that an 80hz lowpass filter from all the channels going to the new .1 channel should be about right for most setups. I know that Audition will do this, but I am not sure of Audacity will.

I know there's a bass in the sound but it's to weak.
What's next? No front speakers? Front and rear speakers switched??
Just quit releasing this bullshit editions (in terms of sound editing) for the sake of the music!!

so..if I understand it right... you get a better sound on a two speaker system when you rip the 5.1 DTS and play it as (or mix it to) stereo than when you take the normal stereo mix?
If that is the case..why hadn't they put a proper stereo mix on it?

Another question... I haven't tried it (above) yet, but I played the 5.1 mix with a two speaker system and it already sounded better than the normal stereo mix.
Does playing the 5.1 mix as stereo (as described above) sound even better than just playing the original 5.1 mix?

All questions relate to a two speaker setup.

Well, it sounds different and fresh but in my opinion it also lacks a bit of density so it's a matter of taste. And listening to it with headphones some of the parts where the vocals shift from left to right channel for example sound suboptimal.

sorry if this is old, but I just found it, and I didn't find a link in this thread so ^^
the Face of Melinda video, from the roundhouse tapes/still life 5.1!

haha, again, sorry if this is old ^^

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't noticed the lack of a bass channel to be honest. The 5.1 mix sounds fine to me, waaaaaaay better than the surround mix of Ghost Reveries btw. Guitar solos and main vocal lines come through the centre channel and they sound a lot clearer and more defined than on the stereo version. Also, the drum sound has been improved a lot, imo. I was never too happy about it on the original version of the album but now I can't complain. Another noticeable improvement can be heard on the clean and acoustic guitars. Benighted sounds fantastic!!

Well, it sounds different and fresh but in my opinion it also lacks a bit of density so it's a matter of taste. And listening to it with headphones some of the parts where the vocals shift from left to right channel for example sound suboptimal.

what? the pure 5.1 mix or the 5.1 mix mixed to stereo?

Apparently the US release date for this disc is April 15, as in tomorrow. Should i not expect to see it in any stores considering people are saying they haven't gotten it shipped and they actually pre-ordered it?

so..if I understand it right... you get a better sound on a two speaker system when you rip the 5.1 DTS and play it as (or mix it to) stereo than when you take the normal stereo mix?
If that is the case..why hadn't they put a proper stereo mix on it?

Another question... I haven't tried it (above) yet, but I played the 5.1 mix with a two speaker system and it already sounded better than the normal stereo mix.
Does playing the 5.1 mix as stereo (as described above) sound even better than just playing the original 5.1 mix?

All questions relate to a two speaker setup.

Usually, 5.1 mixes are mastered with more dynamics than stereo mixes to show off surround sounds systems. The funny thing is that this showing off is what the sound should sound like to begin with. Almost all music released now sounds like crap, because there is a lack of real dynamics.

Based on what has been said on the net, skip the CD all together and downmix the 5.1 DTS track. Unfortunately, it is not as high a bitrate, but at least it has much better dynamics when downmixed (the front two channels are compressed to hell, but the center and rear make up for it a little) in 24 or 32 bit.

Hmmm.... I preordered on Amazon, and usually they get it to you on the release date. According to them it hasn't yet shipped, and when I go to the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013N4AT0"]Still Life Special Edition page[/ame], it says it's expected to be in stock in 1 to 2 weeks. WTF?!