stirring the pot some more

Originally posted by Protocol
I wonder if people will one day look back upon this time when people use 'gay' as a derogatory term with the same shame as we now do at various racials slurrs widely used in the same way last century.

I guarantee it. In fact, in a lot of places in the world (not the bible belt of course where it's just idiocy and bigotry and hatred for everything not white and god-fearing) is already like this. Where I live being gay is not a big deal. Great post.

Satori

Thanks alot for replying

Im so sorry for what you went through. To have that placed on you your shoulders and in your mind at such an early age is unimaginable to me. I can see why you feel the way you do.

I know that in your heart you dont believe in God. Nothing i say can change that and nothing you say can change my belief. That said i truly hope we can be above arguing, its not what im after. From here on out i dont expect you to believe one word i say and if you want to simply disregard it thats fine, thats up to you.

Reading your reply was horrifying to me. I just want to say that the torture you went through was not God but a misrepresentation. I know this is kinda dorky but i instantly though of a songs lyrics that can speak more to the point than i.

turned away by a misrepresentation
stained glass and white washed tombs
the hearts of those who spoke to you
were never homes to the God
they tried to show you
they spoke out of prejudice and ritualism
they themselves were lost
angels forld thier wings and weep along with us
watching you shun Christs sacrfice

Alot of people are of the opinion that the word "God" is just another word for religion, alot of Christians too.(bare with me Sat. please) Jesus said that alot of Christians werent going to make it to the pearly gates. It is not about religion, it is about a relationship with God. And i know right this moment your screaming at your screen because that doesnt make any sense, and it wont unless you reach out to God with you heart in your hand. When he reveals himself to you it will blow your mind. It did mine.

Well ill end on that note. I know this is asking alot but please keep the flaming to minimum heheh, asking to much maybe? Please realize this is simply what i feel thats all. You can simply discard this all as rubbish if youd like but please realize that im sincere when i say that im sorry for what you went through.

Talk to ya later
Love

Hey Love!

>Im so sorry for what you went through. To have that placed on >you your shoulders and in your mind at such an early age is >unimaginable to me. I can see why you feel the way you do.

Thanks for understanding. Please understand that I'm not the only one with this experience. Dream Theatre even did a song about it, it's the second tune on their Images and Words disk. Many many people are hurt by religion/god/faith, many time more than who openly admit it.

>I know that in your heart you dont believe in God. Nothing i say >can change that and nothing you say can change my belief.

Your belief is only that, a belief. It's not so much that I don't believe in god, it's more that I've never been given a reason TO believe. Reality is completely subjective. On the contrary, for you to suggest that there's nothing I can say that would change your belief is, I think, a little presumptuous. The illogical rhetoric is not so engrained in you that you can't escape it. I know you have that little voice of reason in your head that KNOWS that your belief is illogical and you know in your heart that your belief in god/hell/whatever is causing you distress and unhappiness. Oh, did you hear that? That was the little voice of reason in your head screaming to be heard. Trying to convince yourself of something you know is not even remotely logical or likely is lying to yourself. You can keep hoping/praying for more faith to crush your voice of reason but it will always be there nagging you and thinking you are doing yourself a great disservice by deluding yourself. Religion's emphasis on faith is ridiculous. The idea that a god would hide itself away and plant physical evidence and cold hard logic in the minds of humans as obstacles to faith is just plain silly and I know you can see that. Think about it, why would god be such a bastard as to hide from us and expect us to acknowledge it's existence? Why would god really care if you believe in it or not? Why would god create humans and then threatened them with hell if they don't suppress themselves and work everyday to convince themselves of a logical fallicy? If there were a god (keeping in mind we have absolutely NO reason to think there is) then I think it would be insulted by the fact that you think you need to grovel before it and beg for mercy. If you thought I (a human) required that of you then I would be insulted, and I am presumably no where near as cool as God. God's ego isn't so big and it's self-esteem isn't so small that it requires your servitude. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but in the grand scheme of things you really aren't that important.

Humans are short-sighted and they personify reality. We don't see reality, we see a reflection of reality, and we are the mirror. Since humans personify reality is it any wonder why god is so much like the rulers/dictators of the time? They did good for the people and yet they were unimaginably cruel and ruthless. Sound familiar? They even gave god a sex, something we know is pure sillyness (will someone tell me why god required testicles? I'm dying to know). And they made god into a man (no surprises there since women were second class and still are in the majority of religions). It's just one more example of their inherent short-sightedness. Unfortunately the people of that era weren't smart enough to realize this, hell, they thought the world was flat for pete's sake. And of course how nice it was of god to provide the evil dictators of the time with the means to completely dominate and control every aspect of people's lives. It's truly shameful.

>Reading your reply was horrifying to me. I just want to say that >the torture you went through was not God but a >misrepresentation.

Actually, I know why I suffered - cuz I'm a mystic/existentialist. I was extremely spiritual from a very early age and the dogma I was fed caused me to negate my inherent spirituality.

>angels forld thier wings and weep along with us
>watching you shun Christs sacrfice

Ok, this is just sick. To suggest that the death of jesus was something he planned and did on purpose is disgusting and revolting. He was a great jewish leader and a great man who fought against roman (christian) rule and was horribly tortured and murdered for what he believed in. He was a threat to the romans and then they killed him and lied to the simple masses by suggesting that jesus was on *their* side. He was not. I still can't believe they fell for it and are continuing to fall for it. He was so brave and so against what the romans were doing to the jews that he risked his life by waging political battle with them. He knew they were cruel, evil, blood-thristy savages. Jesus was a JEW and NEVER claimed to be the incarnate of god. Those were just words put into his mouth by Paul (a roman politician) who wrote tonnes of stuff about how he and jesus were pals when according to jewish history Paul was barely out of diapers (if he was even born) when jesus was murdered. Christianity is the creation of Paul (not jesus, jesus hated them and fought against them). Paul was hell bent on creating a new religion/political system and he succeeded by defacing jesus' good name. That was truly sick. And now you speak of the "sacrifice of christ"? I'm horrified by how jesus, a great man and brilliant politician, is made out to be a proponent of the very thing he lost his life fighting against. To respect jesus we must respect the cause he died for: the cause of preventing the proliferation of christianity. The bible is a huge web of lies and rhetoric - literally. The way those nasty romans wrote a new bible and called it the "new testament" while belittleing the jewish bible as the "old testament" is a huge slap in the face to the jews. The jewish people I know have a very special place in their hearts for jesus, he was one of their own and his murder was just another example of jewish oppression. The way that people go around happy about the murder of jesus and wearing crosses (a torture device) is simply perverse and really not that different from wearing a swastika - both are symbols of the oppression/murder of innocent jews. Of course, christians are completely oblivious of this (no surprise there).

I'm sorry you feel for the evil roman rhetoric. I'm sorry you think jesus was on their side, even though they murdered him. I'm sorry you are a victim of an ancient political system. But don't think there is no escape. You can be free again like when you were a child before your true spirituality was raped from you.

In reference to your line about god blowing my mind, that's already happened. People are spiritual beings, even the earliest humans who drew on caves had a sense of spirituality and so do many animals (ie. whales and elephants). Spirituality is in you, it's hard wired in your brain and even though you externalize it and call it something else it's still all within you.

Embracing god is NOTHING compared to embracing reality without fear or bias. If you think the idea of god is mind-blowing then feeling one with the entire universe - past and present - without all the emotional/intellectual baggage would knock your socks off and leave you in awe for years like it has done to me. Letting go is so easy and yet so difficult, but so worth it when you realize there is nothing to gain, nothing to lose, nothing to desire, nothing to fear. Reality is simply beautiful when you open your eyes to it's flooding brilliance. You don't need god/rules/guilt/rhetoric to be spiritually fulfilled, you already are, the problem is that we can't just accept that we are already complete. I suspect you and I are more more a like than unalike. Your depth of compassion is very un-christian like. I think you are a mystic/existentialist but you don't know it. Compassion like yours is derived from selflessness (untarnished spirituality/existentialism). Lables mean nothing however. Are you suffering? Are you afraid? If not then you've already outgrown the religious dogma which was designed to put you in a prison of your own making.

That being the case, I think you are simply too spiritually smart/evolved for religion and you are in fact an existentialist and I feel someday you will come to this conclusion and drop the religious rhetoric which is the final dead weight you must drop before you are truly free from the limitations of your own subjective interpretations. That's what's truly mind-blowing, not god and twisted self-defeating logic, it's the realization that your self is the same self of the universe and you melt into everything and become free to be who you truly are. It's beautiful.

big hugs,

Satori

Originally posted by Satori

You have to be born into a religion to be dominated and hurt by it, trying to get an adult to believe such incredibly outlandishly laboured rhetoric is futile, even the dumbest and most gullable of adults wouldn't fall for it. This is why it's forced on children, religions are very aware that if they don't brainwash someone as a child then they've lost them as a member. They know how unbelivable their story is.
Satori

Actually there are a fair number of people who convert after they come of age, and are apparently intellectually matured. I would like to propose an explanation, if I may, because I would tend to agree that religion is a hard pill to swallow.
It happens during times of hardship and duress, to people that may feel that they've been abandoned by their familiar forms of support. Churches often act like support groups, they listen, comfort and offer a way out. Many churches can provide financial support to new members. The fact that conversion tends to happen during harder times is demonstrated perfectly when we see members of the faithful who are not so devout, who tend to rely on the church as means of emotional support when the are suffering.
People who have close calls with death or disease tend to search for something...and end up finding god. I think we can all admit to having felt inconsequential at one time or another. What Satori said about the flawed logic in believing an omnipotent god would be desperate for one human being to believe is true; but to someone who has just felt that they are no more than a blink in the eyes of time, the prospect of being an essential part of something bigger can be pretty enticing.
Personally I think there are many good philosophies contained within the christian doctrine, stuff like 'love thy neighbor', it wouldn't hurt if a few more people acted a little more civil. I guess the problem is in the presentation. To much uneccessary rhetoric about being faithful, and too many contradictions to the essentially 'useful' directives.
For us, we must beware that our reactions may be too extreme. When we dicover that most christians misrepresent their own religion, we may dismiss it completely. This would be a shame, as there is something to be gained from everything. As someone said earlier about anarchy, and how the people who are into anarchy just so they have an excuse to break things are no more than foolish children. This too misleads most people into thinking that anarchy is senseless and to disregard anything positive they might gain from its study.
It's a pity that most people dismiss things as a whole after having a bad first impression of just one aspect. It happens all the time, from satanism to heavy metal to christianity, people don't take the time to discovery the beauty or good held within every single thing.
Even once we have husked the bran from the grain, there is still use for the bran.

Satori, I just want to know....

where are you getting this information about jesus/judaism/christianity from? i've never heard that take on it before.

I don't suppose anyone will actually follow up on this, but the station PBS had an amazing 4-hour series called "From Jesus to Christ" that explains the historical facts of how the Bible came to be written. It completely proves how inane the argument that the Bible is the word of God is. Warning: You may not like the truth because there was absolutely nothing divine or spiritual about it.

I know I shouldn't say what I'm about to say, and I know I'll get yelled at for it, but I can't help it. I think whether or not you believe in God simply comes down to how much common sense you have (naturally, I think I have tons. lol :D ) Atheists are people for whom the OBVIOUS impossibility of such a phenomenon is aparent. Some of us just can't even begin to understand how simple-minded the majority of society is to fall for something so utterly impossible. There is absolutely no difference -- zero, nada, none, zip, zilch -- between our God and the mythical gods of past civilizations. When we can't understand something, we give "God" credit. How about just accepting that we simply don't know how life was created? And don't say, "if we don't know, then how can you rule out God," because there are certain things that we know DON'T make sense. Science may not prove what *IS*, but it does prove what *IS NOT*. I think if you believe in God, you probably can't be convinced otherwise -- because the absurdity of it is so obvious that, if you had the mental capacity to understand it, you already would. there, i said it. i shouldn't have, but i did. let the flaming begin.

The level of intolerance in this country, though in no way limited to this country, is ridiculous. I think everyone should be ashamed that our country would even think of passing amendments such as this. The worst is when my friends who are black or female start talking about how gays should be banned from marrying. I just remind them that only 60 years ago women couldn't vote and could be discriminated pay-wise until 40 years ago and that black Americans had limited rights at best until just 30 years ago. That people have such short memories is disgusting. As they say "those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it". One more reason that I am ashamed of being an American...

Hey, Sadistik, very true. It's funny, you were actually discussing the topic of the thread so I wasn't sure for a sec - it took a moment to readjust.

Satori, I have some historical nit-picking for you to refute. You've done much to link "Romans" to "Christianity"... although the Roman Empire did become fully Christian by the 4th century A.D. (I seem to recall) with the conversion of Emperor Constantine, I've heard no such information making that link in the times of Jesus Christ, especially since the religion, you say yourself, was concocted largely by Paul and he was "Barely out of diapers if born" during the life of Jesus. The point of the Jewish messiah as I understand it is that the messiah was supposed to lead the Jews to freedom fighting against their Roman oppressors (Also, I seem to recall that the Jews were the only religion the Romans tolerated by not forcing it's denizens to convert to the old Roman Mythological belief... anyhoo...). Regardless of whether or not Jesus claimed to be this messiah, his position of political power was created due to the fact that some Jews believed he was. As a result of this, the Romans saw him as a potential troublemaker and had him executed.

I can understand that Jesus was fighting against Roman power in Israel but to say he was "working against the proliferation of Christianity" suggests he was fighting something, that was (twistedly, yes) based upon his life AND death, that had yet to be concieved. I suppose the history I've read may be more influenced by Christian propaganda that that you have, but I'll repeat an earlier question: where is your source for all of these historical perspectives?

PS. The bit about the cross - very true. "Do you realize that that symbol represents a torture/execution device, the one that killed your beloved Jesus?" Is a thought I've often had.

Satori

hi

Im sorry you felt compelled to focus on the last two lines of lyrics my focus was on the other seven. As for arguing with your comments i dont see the point. We both know what will happen if i do. Reading your long responses and solutions though might lead some people to believe that youve simply left one form of doctrine and found another. I cant say i necessarily think that it just seems rigid and formed not just a personal opinion (sorry it just kinda struck me that way). I probably wont be here for a day or so so please be patient with me and my responses.

thanks for the hugs Sat
right back atja 8)

Lina

Why would you group and insult millions of people based on a single common belief at their core that they hold dear to their heart?

youve seen people grouped and belittled all your life and youve hated it and despised it. Why would you do what you despise?

LOVE
Love

Hey all,
I've been reading this post with much interest and have decided to pose a question to the christians here.

I think we've basically figured out that christianity involves realising that we've sinned when god has told us not too, then repenting these sins. And apparently this is the way god wants us to live and it is the way to eternal bliss, or heaven or whatever.

Back to the question though. If this above statement is true, then how does god "judge" ppl that were born into non christian families compared to christian families. If someone is born in Japan to a Buddhist family and they know nothing but that religion, it is definately not fair to send them to hell just because they were born in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Now I've heard alot of rebuttals to this question along the lines of "well god will judge them upon what sort of life they've lived." or something similar to that.

But I can easily refute that. Christians say that god is supposed to be a "fair" god. If everyone's supposed to be judged equally, then how is it that someone with a christian upbringing, or an example like the paragraph above, gets an unfair advantage. One of my friends is a christian and no doubt if I'd been brought up in his family, I would be too, but I wasn't. So just because of the way I was brought up (no one realy gets a choice how they were brought up) it means I have to spend the rest of my existance in hell?

Fuck that. I just find it all too hard to believe.

Thanx for reading and I look forward to seeing the replies. :)

You've missed my point slighty.

Every decision that anyone makes, is circumstantial. If I've only known christianity to be the answer to everything, my total faith etc etc, all my life, it will be because my circumstances were like that. If I've only known my mother's way of open-mindedness and freedom of choice, then it will be because my circumstances were like that. If I use that freedom of choice to pick something else apart from christianity, why does that damn me to hell? The circumstances I've been through in my life, sentence me to hell?
If I'd had a family/went to a school/moved to a town where everyone adored christianity and that was the way of life, I too would be a christian. But I didn't. Someone doesn't choose what circumstances to be born into. Why does that lack of choice and then the following life damn them to hell?
I just can't understand the fairness or "godliness" in that, and therefore why I can not have faith in christianity.

Your whole post is the focus of my revolt against christianity. The devine being and his believers send non-believers to an eternity in hell based on a stupid and un-informed decision we make in our mortal life. EVEN if this is true and god does exist, I wouldn't pledge my faith to him anyway, as our creator, he's not fair at all (for someone who's supposed to be perfect).

two men, a farmer and stock market investor, were having an argument.

the farmer said that the investor was crazy, because his life was based an something so uncertain and risky (all coming down to Alan Greenspan, who may or may not be a good guy), and spent all his time trading something that was theoretical, anyway. He never saw any money. The farmer was certain that the investor must be swayed by the messages of big business.

the investor said that the farmer was crazy, because there were already plenty of plants on the earth... the farmer was wasting his time. Besides, farmers didn't make very much money, so at the end of his life, he would have nothing. The investor berated the farmer for having his thoughts always on the ground. The investor was sure that the farmer must think the way he does out of simple ignorance.

however, no agreement could be reached, because both the farmer and the investor knew they were right.

who is the fool?

precisely. I'm glad someone gets it. what remains to be understood is why this thread is livid with arguments over the fallacy of belief and the emptiness of atheism.

well, i guess that's why they say ignorance is bliss. (in response to the exchange between saturnix and xtokalon) i wish i believed that what makes you happy is right. i guess it's the left brain in me that just can't disregard the facts. *sigh*

"facts prove nothing" (sherlock holmes)

it seems to me that facts are another type of belief. after all, before Galileo "proved" otherwise, everyone knew that the earth was the center of the universe. a lot of people here know that there's no God/Jesus/etc, because hey, that's just silly: we haven't seen otherwise.

Going even further than simply acknowledging someone's opinion, we have to consider what are own is grounded in, and if that ground is truly solid after all.

Not to start a war or anything, but that can be reversed. A lot of people just "know" or have been taught that there IS a god, who is almighty, and a big white guy with a beard..

All we need is proof to the contrary, see?

Or proof that will validate it. Gimme proof before I devote my life to something.

about all people being judged, even those that are uninformed.

rev.11:3, 7-10

3)And i will give power unto my two witnesses, and they shall prophesy a thousand two hundred and threescore days, clothed in sackcloth.7)And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and shall kill them.8)And their dead bodies shall lie in the street of the great city, which spiritually is called Sodom and Egypt,where also our Lord was crucified.9)And they of the people and kindreds and tongues and nations shall see their dead bodies three days, and shall not suffer their dead bodies to be put in graves.10)And they that dwell upon the earth shall rejoice over them, and make merry, and shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwelt on the earth.

This says all that dwelt on the earth rejoiced, if they knew them enough to rejoice in their deaths i would assume they knew their cause, which most believe is to call man to repentance.

Mark 13:10

Jesus is asked(13:4) Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign when all things shall be fulfilled?

Many things are said hear one of which is (13:10) And the gospel must first be published among all nations.

nope, that doesnt mean everyone will read a bible and either accept or reject....it just kinda pertains to the subjrct so i put it in.

Hope that helps....in some way

later
Love