Stoner Rock/Metal Thread

Hey Folks,

my name is Chris, I'm from Heidelberg in Germany and I recorded five tracks solo. I did everything on my own, every instrument, the production and now I'm trying to find some ways to make the stuff public. I hope this is the right place.

a4246964191_10.jpg

you can find the EP on http://www.grandboaron.bandcamp.com and watch my video here:

Thank you all very much!

Cheers
Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone give me like a top 10 to listen to in this genre?

Right now I like:

Electric Wizard - Come My Fanatics
Sleep - Holy Mountain
Anything by Black Sabbath

...Thanks!

Since the genre can swerve pretty radically from band to band, a definite top ten probably isn't possible. You listen to a lot of music though right? I'll give you some stuff to check out.

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Bloodlust
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics (other album is great too but closer to sludge I think)
Clutch - Blast Tyrant (maybe not strictly stoner)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend
Orange Goblin - Time Travellin' Blues
Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony
Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
Weedeater - And Justice for Y'all
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Ogre - Dawn of the Proto Man
Conan - Monnos (or Mount Doom, devastating live album)
High on Fire - Surrounded by Thieves
Witch - Witch
Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth

Can go more obscure if you want. Kafka should have some more.

Bongripper - Satan Worshipping Doom
Boris - Amplifier Worship
Burning Witch - Crippled Lucifer
Conan - Horseback Battle Hammer
Cough - Ritual Abuse
Dopelord - Black Arts, Riff Worship
Earth - The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull
Elder - Dead Roots Stirring
Ethereal Riffian - Shamans Visions
Glowsun - Eternal Season
Indian - The Unquiet Sky
Om - God Is Good
Spiritual Beggars - Demons
UFOmammut - Snailking
Weedeater - God Luck And Good Speed
Windhand - Windhand
Wo Fat - Psychedelonaut

Between this and Krow's list, you should be busy for a little bit. I stuck mainly to more bass heavy and riff oriented stoner doom based on your likes of Sleep and EW, but I threw in some ones that don't fully fit the requirements, but run along similar lines.

After going through and picking out the shit you like and don't like we can give you more recs.

Can anyone tell me which album from Earth is the best to begin with? I couldn't convince myself to get into them after listening to several songs from The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull.

Penstar is pretty legit, but if you didnt like TBMHitLS, Im not sure youll be into them, at all.

Personally, I would try their newest. Aside from being a fucking outstanding album, maybe the added vocals will add a little more depth for you.

Damn nice lineup for Psycho CA. I can't go because of personal obligations, but would like to see

Sat: Anciients, Pallbearer, Kylesa, Earth, Sleep

Sun: Earthless, Om, Pentagram

Also Fri: Municipal Waste WTF, how do they fit into this lineup haha

They replaced Cult of Luna. I was, and still am pissed. I fucking HATE that band and they replaced shoes they cannot fill. No where fucking close.

Btw, check out Elaborations of Carbon by YOB. Between that and CtPtA, those are my favs of their discography, and I love em all. One of my favorite bands.

They replaced Cult of Luna. I was, and still am pissed. I fucking HATE that band and they replaced shoes they cannot fill. No where fucking close.

Btw, check out Elaborations of Carbon by YOB. Between that and CtPtA, those are my favs of their discography, and I love em all. One of my favorite bands.

I like fun party thrash but I can see why you'd be pissed. Doesn't fit at this show at all. They should play more shows around here with like Bonded by Blood and Fueled by Fire though.

I'll check out their other stuff, thanks.

Goddamn I'm jealous Kafka. I could only dream of an outdoor festival with a lineup like that over here.

Since the genre can swerve pretty radically from band to band, a definite top ten probably isn't possible. You listen to a lot of music though right? I'll give you some stuff to check out.

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats - Bloodlust
Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
Acid Bath - Pagan Terrorism Tactics (other album is great too but closer to sludge I think)
Clutch - Blast Tyrant (maybe not strictly stoner)
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend
Orange Goblin - Time Travellin' Blues
Blood Ceremony - Blood Ceremony
Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
Weedeater - And Justice for Y'all
Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley
Ogre - Dawn of the Proto Man
Conan - Monnos (or Mount Doom, devastating live album)
High on Fire - Surrounded by Thieves
Witch - Witch
Jex Thoth - Jex Thoth

Can go more obscure if you want. Kafka should have some more.

My favorite 4 of this list, if it helps with future recs:

1) YOB - Clearing the Path to Ascend
2) Electric Wizard - Dopethrone
3) High on Fire - Surrounded by Thieves
4) Ogre - Dawn of the Proto Man

Going to start on Kafka's next

So Psycho...Sorry for the novel, I tried to make it as condensed as possible but this weekend was fucking KILLER.

So let me just start by saying, this was probably the best run festival Ive ever been to. From staff, to security, things ran well (despite the few line up changes I didnt get bc I rarely use Facebook) and security was super laxed. Smoking weed inside wasnt an issue which made things fucking perfect. This was my first Thief event, and I hope nothing but good things to come for him, hes putting on some really REALLY epic shit and doing it right.

So Friday first band I saw was Conan. 40 minutes was a decent amount of time, but frankly they were not loud enough. Its fucking Conan, my ears need to be bleeding. At this point I was getting pretty saucey. I bought VIP so I had unlimited alcohol, so with bands I didnt care about I was getting beers for me and my friends. They did not play Krull which I was a bit bummed about, but good performance nonetheless. Plus I see them in a few days again anyway.

Next band I checked out was Bedemon. Wino was asked to do vocals since the lead singer isnt around, so that was cool to witness. Wasnt exactly my cup of tea, but it was hard to say if it was Wino or the music or both. Still wanted to check em out, it ws a big deal they were playing.

After them, I saw Old Man Gloom. Man, they imo, stole the show for Friday, they were HEAVY as fuck. Never really heard of them before this fest, definitely checking more into them.

Then it was Bell Witch and Cough. Both bands were outside. Cool atmosphere for an outside stage, but yet again the volume needed to go up. Bell Witch was sick live and going from them to Cough was perfect. Some asshole ruined Coughs set cause on 288 Years of Sin, he got up on stage and was tryubg to sing the song. Parker was annoyed as fuck, but for some reason let him do it. In anycase, spoke to Parker and kept bugging him if they are gonna release new material soon and he said yeah, probably beginning of 2016. Stoked for that.

Ended the night with Russian Circles. Been wantin to see them for a few years now, so I was really looking forward to their set. I was fucking shitfaced at this point and dont remember much other than hearing a few songs of Geneva and Memorial. Left towards the end cause I was tired as fuck.

Saturday:
Got there right when it started to see my buddy's band Lords of Beacon House. Pretty cool psych rock stuff, but did not fully grab me. Cool to show support though.

After them Acid Witch, always fun to see these guys (Even if they mistakenly called Santa Ana "Hollywood"). When I arrived Friday I ran into Slasher Dave and I was talking to him, and in the middle of our convo he stops and goes"...hey man, Im sorry but wheres the shitter? I gotta fucking shit like right fucking now". Ever since then, Id always run into him and wed be so fucking drunk that wed talk and laugh about how we met. He was very grateful for the directions. Sabbath of the Undead and Swamp Spells tore the roof off. They even did Evil off their split with Nunslaughter. That was sick too.

After them it was time to get my drink on again. This time they wouldnt let me take drinks out because they saw me taking them to people, so I was forced to slam my beers and get back inside. Fucking bullshit that I couldnt enjoy my beers inside, but I get it. Its because of people like me those rules are broken. Yolo.

Electric Citizen was definitely one of the best, if not the best set of the weekend. They fucking brought down the house. That chicks energy on stage was perfect and their sound was spot on. Ended up smoking a bowl with her later that night. Total babe.

Mammatus was another band that I heard a little of before going, but not enough to know their shit. Still checked em out and man, these guys had the cleanest sound out of every band that weekend. Really good show, definitely checking more into them.

Dead Meadow was fucking incredible. Ive heard MANY people tell me they fucking suck live, but man, maybe they just went on a wrong night because they did not disappoint in the least. Even played Such Hawks, Such Hounds <3

After them it was beer runs and dipping in and out of Pallbearer. This was probably my 4th time seeing them, and I actually didnt hate it. They might be growing on me, but my friend said thats probably because the songs we heard were theyre really old shit. Sounded good, just cant hang with those vocals...Maybe ill give their demo a shot soon.

Earth was next. Always a pleasure to see them. They ended with fucking High Command. A song they havnt played live since it came out almost 20 years ago. That was fucking SICK. Also played Torn By The Fox Of The Crescent Moon and The Bees Made Honey In The Lions Skull. Very very pleased.

Kylesa was next. They were cool. Drummers were on point and sound was good. One of the few bands to do visuals which was a nice touch. Had some funny fucking shit going on too. Was in and out of their set to get beers and rest for Sleep coming up.

Sleep. Another band thats always a pleasure to see. Al comes out on stage by himself just playing some riffs, but nothing is playing...Does this for like 5 minutes, then Matt comes out and strikes the first note and HOLY FUCK was it loud. The place was now being hot boxed from that first note til the end of their set. Played a lot off Dopesmoker and some new material. They went 45 minutes over their set, they were supposed to play an hour but went an extra 45 because they were fucking killing it and no one wanted to leave. Fucking badass.

Sunday:
This personally was my favorite and most anticipated day. I wanted to get there early to catch Tumbleweed Dealer because theyre a fairly newer band, that hasnt done a lot of shows and I really like their material. Well the lineup changed and apparently they didnt show up. Still need to get the full story on that bc I got it from a security guard who doesnt know shit about anything other than what another security guard tells him to do.

This however was perfect time to see Wo Fat. Was right up front and center. Opened with The Black Code and proceeded to rip the place apart. Sounded excellent, but was so short man. Only had time for 3 songs. Still stoked as fuck to see them. They rarely play outside of Dallas, so I made sure to taken in every second.

This is where shit gets awesome. I ended up being dosed with the best LSD Ive ever had in my life. I was shooting the shit with an old timer outside eating some tacos, talking about the Grateful Dead (he was a deadhead too) and he had some really amazing, clean shit from legitamte Dead Family. So he dosed me and one of my friends with 1 each, and my other 2 friends splt 1 and boom, off to the races. Good to finally experience what real 1 hit wonder LSD is like. Holy shit.

So back top lineup...The days lineup changed and I had no idea, so I missed Truckfighters. Was super fucking bummed about that, but I didnt even know til later cause..I was fucking high on acid.

Tombs was cool, but I was over it. I wanted to save my energy for the rest of the night so we went and kicked it until Bongzilla came on. Wasnt a big fan of their material before going, but fuck they won me over. Awesome live show and fun as fuck. Eyehategod meets Weedeater. After them was Earthless. One of the main bands I came there for. I was peaking right when went on and I honestly dont remember a fucking thing of their set because I was so high. I have no doubt they killed it and my friends (who were sober) vouched for me and said I was indeed there the entire time and raging my face off, so I atleast know I was there. But I was not in my body at all, that was very apparent.

After that mind melting experience was the best set of the fest. Fucking OM. I remember looking at Al when he was on stage and behind his head was a flowering of sacred geometry that linked with Emil and Robert. It was then I realized Al is in God Mode and he is conducting my spiritual journey. After the first song, he blew his amp and had to get a new one, which was promptly hooked up and he continued. (Seems fitting, last time I saw them Emil broke a symbal). That fucking band is seriously on some next level shit. I havnt had that spiritual of a experience ever. My buddy said he saw them playing in a Pyramid in Egypt with Hieroglyphics all around us. Regardless, that was a very special special set.

After that I look at my friends and were all like. FUCK. Were tripping HARD. We also realized that was the perfect ending to the fest. None of us were Pentagram fans so I went to go get my merch and leave.

So another perk of being VIP was anything you bought, they would store it for you until after the fest. Well I bought a few records and came to pick em up. After waiting around for 15 minutes and no one able to find my shit Im starting to panic. Fuck not having my ID I need these records! And then bam, a beautiful lady calls out my name and delivers me my merch all wrapped up and packaged neatly. Fucking great service and was a perfect example of how on top of their game everyone was.

To sum up, this was one of the best festivals Ive ever been to with one of the most historic lineups to come out and its only going to keep growing and getting better.

Good job, Thief.

Old Man Gloom is an ISIS/Cave In side band. decent enough stuff I guess.

Ogre is defintiely the best thing reco'd so far. Try Blood Farmers

Blood farmers is an awesome recommendation. I thought they were more on the traditional side of doom, but I think they would fit here, they get on some good jams.