Stories from the Mosh Pit

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
Anyone have any weird/funny stories from what they might have seen at a show? Whether it be the stage diving or mosh pit mayhem?

I remember going to a Amon Amarth show last year with Gugs, and he nearly got into a fight with three Mexicans in the pit. He was also moshing with his hands covering his ears to keep the earplugs from falling out, and so his protruding elbows kept hitting the Mexican guy's heads because they were only 4 ft tall. And then they surrounded him... :lol: This was also the same gig where Immortal refused to be interviewed because Gugs was too drunk.

Also, at the Opeth show last year, there was one guy who was doing the 'windmill'. Ever seen that, when some dude starts running around in circles with his arms spinning around? So dumb, and yet funny, especially when someone sticks a leg out and they trip to the floor. :heh:

I watched two guys roll across an entire venue in a fight once, and everyone started kicking them. They were finally broken up and the one dude's face had huge chunks of skin ripped out, and a near riot situation ensued with groups of skinheads yelling at the longhairs.

This was all because Dissection took nearly an hour to set up, and they were on stage for about 30 seconds before the place erupted in joyous moshing and all hatred ceased. Oh my goat they were good.

eh, don't go to too many shows. At an In Flames show, I remember some dude and his girlfriend near the front of the stage just standing there. The pit was right behind them and people kept bumping into them, and the dude started threatening people. He was a little, wee lad, so he couldn't have done anything. But I marveled at the fact that we have this guy at THE FRONT of the stage that was pissed about being bumped by the pit. Seriously, what did he expect? Get to the fucking back, you moron!

And I've always been impressed about the comraderie in the pit. If you get yo' ass knocked to da flo', someone will help you up.

Yeah there is camaraderie, but only if you wear a metal shirt. :heh: Otherwise you're a civillian and you take your life into your own hands.

I've seen people whine in mosh pits too, but I figured that they must be newbies.

I've been in pits where people are trying to kill you. Well, I've observed them from afar I should say, I've only moshed a handful of times and they were always friendly, in a violent sort of way.

I never mosh, but I definitely watch the mayhem. Have you ever been in a venue where you might be up on a stand or balcony looking down at the mosh pit from a birds eye view? It is quite incredible to watch, especially if the place is packed out wall-to-wall. It looks like the ocean waves in a storm.

Yep, I love it when you can point out 6 separate pits at a large venue too. Then there's the outdoor venues at night when people light piles of trash on fire and mosh around them, that's always a sight.

NAD said:
friendly, in a violent sort of way.
Good%20Friendly%20Violent%20Fun.jpg

JayKeeley said:
Yeah there is camaraderie, but only if you wear a metal shirt. :heh: Otherwise you're a civillian and you take your life into your own hands.
:lol:

I remember I was in the seating section at Metal 2000, and the Slayer mosh didn't 'alf look impressive from there. All the lights went up and there was just a mass of flailing hair down below. I was 14 then, and thought "No way would I survive that!" :D

You always get whiners in pits down here. Because most people are pop-punk/grunge/emo/alternative faggots, and as soon as you look like you're going to smudge their bad eye makeup they go all pussy on you. My response has always been the same - get out of the fucking way. I see no sense in standing at the front if you can't take what's happening around you.

Funniest story? That'll probably be when I was very pissed on cider and decided to show my appreciation for the band by taking off my gunbelt and swinging it around my head. Even now, nearly two years on, I still have people occasionally complaining about those cases twatting them in the head! Apparently the band were not impressed...considering also that the belt broke so I chucked it onstage for safe-keeping, then ran up there while they were still playing to get it back. And I blagged one of the guitarists' beer :saint:

What are some of the best Mosh Songs?

Exodus - Toxic Waltz (a bit obvious)
Metallica - Battery
Opeth - Demon of the Fall (listed because that was when the guy did the windmill, heh)

The best though, without doubt, has to be Slayer's War Ensemble.

SPORT THE WARRRRR!!!
War Support, The Sport is War, Total War,
When Victory's a Massacre, The final swing is not a drill,
It's how many people I can KILL!!!!

Oh my goat, how many times have you seen that live where the entire place just fucking erupts into mass frenzy?

Ayeka said:
Funniest story? That'll probably be when I was very pissed on cider and decided to show my appreciation for the band by taking off my gunbelt and swinging it around my head. Even now, nearly two years on, I still have people occasionally complaining about those cases twatting them in the head! Apparently the band were not impressed...considering also that the belt broke so I chucked it onstage for safe-keeping, then ran up there while they were still playing to get it back. And I blagged one of the guitarists' beer :saint:
You know, that might be the most retarded and yet funniest thing imaginable. When people complained about you hitting them upside the head with the bullet belt, you should have just told them not to worry because they were blanks! And the fact that you nicked the beer at the end is just class. :cool: Who were the band btw?

Ayeka said:
That'll probably be when I was very pissed on cider and decided to show my appreciation for the band by taking off my gunbelt and swinging it around my head.
If I remember the story correctly, weren't you shouting "PLAY, YOU CUNTS!!!" all the while? :lol:

War Ensemble. Nothing starts a pit like that, and my goat is that a fucking monster song live. The only thing that has ever come close (and yes I'm serious) was Tommy the Cat by Primus during an encore. Absolutely nuts. :kickass:

NAD said:
If I remember the story correctly, weren't you shouting "PLAY, YOU CUNTS!!!" all the while? :lol:
You just scared the shit out of me for a second there :oops: then I remembered I've told this story before, haven't I? :dopey: Heh, that bit was with the band before, and I only shouted it once ;)

You know, that might be the most retarded and yet funniest thing imaginable. When people complained about you hitting them upside the head with the bullet belt, you should have just told them not to worry because they were blanks! And the fact that you nicked the beer at the end is just class. :cool: Who were the band btw?
:lol: Cheers! In truth I just blagged a swig inbetween songs...he left it unattended by the speakers! Fool!

That particular band was Schiztome, a local band. They're good if you like nu-metal. If I get that drunk again I wouldn't mind 'em. They and two others were supporting Junk DNA (anyone know them? :confused: ) that night but I had to bail before the headliners came on.

At the Bloodletting Show (Gorgasm, Severed Savior, Spawn of Posession, and Pyaemia) I punched a girl in the boobs by accident. It was still funny, and sadly that's the closest I've been to a girl. And there was this kid in a slipknot shirt trying to headbang with short hair, so people pushed on him and stepped on him.I also got a beer bottle broken on my back at that show. WHAT A SHOW!

I had a friend that used to go in mosh pits at local shows just to grab girl's boobs. One time he fell pretty bad and ended up with a sprained wrist for several weeks, we had a few dozen (thousand) laughs about that.