Strange preferences??????

dddaaannn94

New Metal Member
May 27, 2004
In browsing through some of the old posts, it seems like there's alot of people around who put MAYH and Still Life as their favorite Opeth albums. As a recent convert, it seems pretty interesting that these seem to be the two albums I simply _cannot_ get into. I started with Opeth by listening to the DI, DII, and BP trio - all I love. Then my first listen to Morningrise I was hooked (maybe my favorite) and I like Orchid as well. But.......I simply cannot get into MAYH and Still Life......I'm not sure if it's the songs or that the production just doesn't fit my ear (they just sound so muddy to me compared to the other albums????).......just wondering if others have similar views???????

Fuck off, Wolftribe. :p

Seriously, you need to listen to Still Life and My Arms more. They're abso-fucking-lutely amazing and if you like Blackwater Park you can't dislike those two in the end.
Other than for the sound levels going wahoonie on Still Life, I think the production is great. Same with My Arms.

I can hear where you're coming from with MHYH. I personally love the album but the production is different from other Opeth albums. However I cant see where you're coming from on Still Life. Thats my fav Opeth album. To me the production sounds perfect, not muddy at all. It seems more similar to Blackwater Park than MHYH. Oh well, maybe you'l get into it eventually. Sometimes it takes time.

Yeah, just listen to them over and over again and you will fall in love with it. At first I didnt like Orchid at all. But I just kept hearing it and now its one of my fav records.

That 'muddy' sound that you refer to in MAYH, I've always thought gave it a realy earthy and sinister atmosphere.

When Mike talks about the new album, he's mentioned it as being something he hopes will be extremely brutal, yet extremely beautifull... which I've always thought was the best description for MAYH. Songs like When and April Ethereal project a mood very well through the dynamics, as well as Demon of the Fall to a lesser extent. Although I'd have to agree, it is a bit challenging, and therefore less acessible.

As for Still Life... well I have no idea what you're talking about.

It took me a while to get into those two albums as well. You need to give it a while to grow on you. Once you fully digest the scope and majesty of those albums, you most probably will never look back. In my honest opinion, that was Opeth's golden era and nothing since has even come close to matching those albums.

It took me a long time to get into still life and mayh, cause they were my first Opeth-Albums.........but especially Still Life is so incredible with all those jazz-structures....they've never done that again....

If you like Blackwater Park , you will like Still Life...coz they are the 2 Opeth albums which "sound the more the same" , if you know what i mean... :confused:
I mean Orchid is really different of Morningrise which was really different of MAYH...the same for BWP , D1 and D2 ..(of course)
But i don't really find Still Life and BWP musically that different ...they "look both is the same way"..even the order of the tracks actually...the acoustic songs (benighted and harvest) are on the third tracks , the "catchy" songs (moonlapse vertigo and drapery falls) are on the 4th tracks , Bleak and Godhead's Lament have the same structure (heavy beginning , mellow part after etc etc..)...

people prefer still life and mayh because they are the best ones... it's as simple as that... all elitism aside, i actually had no trouble getting into those 2 albums... they were the first i got, so maybe i'm biased. what it really boils down to is that all of the albums are awesome in their own ways and whatever each individual decides is their favorite is up to that person

Moonlapse said:
It took me a while to get into those two albums as well. You need to give it a while to grow on you. Once you fully digest the scope and majesty of those albums, you most probably will never look back. In my honest opinion, that was Opeth's golden era and nothing since has even come close to matching those albums.

Your humble opinion is wrong! :Spin:

I like morningrise alot. At this time. I change often. Damnation is the only one yet to be a favorite.

I love Morningrise, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation.

I'm just starting to get into MAYH..

and I still need to give Orchid more of a chance (I've only listened to it a couple of times out the few years I've had it.. yes i know, i'm a tool.)