Strange preferences??????

April Ethereal, The Moor and Blackwater Park are the greatest songs I've ever seen or heard Opeth performing live. The SL and MAYH material comes off amazingly well live, as do the heavier tracks on BWP.

Just recently I got into Orchid. First now I realize what a masterpiece it really is. At first I didnt like it. Time is gold :headbang:

EternalMetal said:
imo, i think that if you try hard enough, you could force yourself to like almost anything. With enough motivation and time, you truly can. I find this happening with younger kids who want to be "cool." Give the albums a chance, but if you dont like them, then dont listen to them. Their is enough good music out their, you dont need to force yourself on anything.

But what if the enjoyment you eventually are able to get out of the music is often proportional to the time cost of initially appreciating it???????

Moonlapse said:
April Ethereal, The Moor and Blackwater Park are the greatest songs I've ever seen or heard Opeth performing live. The SL and MAYH material comes off amazingly well live, as do the heavier tracks on BWP.

Indeed, ''Blackwater Park'' sounded a lot better live than I expected it to be.

every Opeth album is better produced than the one before, excluding Deliverance.. but I guess that was intended :) And don't come with that "it fits the album"-attitude now.. I'm talking about the cleanliness and how realistically the sounds are recorded, and of how good the balance and mix is.. compression, separation, panning and whatever.

In Orchid and Morningrise, the mixes are a bit dull and muddy.. better than avg., sure.

In MAYH, the drums are a bit muddy, as are the guitars.. still great though

In SL, it almost sounds almost a bit over-saturated with over-dubbed guitars and loads of tracks.. drowning each other, at time. I think "thick" is a good way to describe much of the sound :) The acoustic stuff is clean and nice..

In BWP, it all clicked, production-wise.. I don't have a single complaint!

In Deliverance, I think we sorta got back to MAYH.. but I think they went for a rawer sound (on purpose)

And, once again, Wilson does what he knows best on Damnation.. just great production again :)