Strange Question

I have an "apprentice" if you will. Grown up with him and been really good friends our whole lives. He played drums in the school band as a youngin' and bought his own set, so his interest in instrumentation helped him get into some of the stuff I've shown him. He's starting to come around and show more commitment, but I introduced him to Opeth and whatnot shortly after I got into it and he still doesn't know any bands I haven't personally introduced to him. Doesn't put in the effort to research and discover new music and acts like a homo sometimes. Listens to music at low volume, sits in the back at shows, assorted girliness, but at least he never had a problem with growled vocals and is starting to grow. We've been to a few shows together, hopefully he'll come to Heathen Crusade with me and rule it.

Other than him, no one. I'm sure it's easier to meet metal folk in largely populated areas, or anywhere outside of the U.S. where everyone is a putz, but here in the mountains, most people listen to country (white), or rap (hispanic). Some alt rock homos and that's that.

probably 75%, most are into some sort of music I like..punk, industrial etc
I don't really hang out as such much these days
a large precentage of my freinds are in bands or do zines, labels and other pro active stuff

Most of my friends enjoys metal to some extent, can really only think of one who clearly don't like it at all. Guess that has something to do how you choosing friends...

/Mats

Doom said:
Quite a few of my older friends used to listen to metal when we were younger, but they've totally moved away from it now.

I've never understood this.

In that "Headbangers Journey" documentary, Rob Zombie confirms how once you get into metal, it sticks for life. And I quote: "You never hear someone say, 'yeah I was into Slayer that summer'...". On face value, I understand what he's saying, but sadly he's wrong.

I've kept in touch with two of my old friends from when I was growing up. And sometimes, I'll hang out at various metal pubs and catch up with old mates... So, ehhr, to answer the question, about 50%, I guess...

well, out of my friends that i actually spend time with often, i'd say...2. maybe 3, though the third is kinda borderline. as far as percentage goes, that would be about 90% :)

I have one friend that likes Opeth, another who likes In Flames, and several that appreciate the cream of the crop of underground artists that I show them. In other words, none really.