Studio-log

SW IV is the most expected release by me this year. It's almost impossible to make more excellent album than "Mercy Falls" was, but who knows... I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

2010 is a pretty crazy year for upcoming releases: X Japan, Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Galneryus, Hibria, Manigance, Grand Magus, Falconer, Persuader, Demons & Wizards etc, but Seventh Wonder is definitely the top of my list! A great time to be a metal head!

2010 is a pretty crazy year for upcoming releases: X Japan, Iron Maiden, Symphony X, Kamelot, Blind Guardian, Galneryus, Hibria, Manigance, Grand Magus, Falconer, Persuader, Demons & Wizards etc, but Seventh Wonder is definitely the top of my list! A great time to be a metal head!

Wow, didn't know that X Japan had an album to come out this year!! Wonderful!!!

Since we start in the video studio at 7 am tomorrow (Saturday!) morning, I'm gonna be brief, but here are some more clips from the studio.

These were little bits and pieces from the last couple of weeks I found in the camera. We will be back with more (hopefully) in a while but now we need to focus on the real video....

Talk to you soon!

//Andreas

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome stuff again, guys. Some vocals now, things are progressing indeed.
The melodylines on both songs are beautiful. The first one has that typical uplifting SW-melody; absolutely wonderful.
I'm pretty sure we'll get that emotional and warm Tommy-voice in the slow song - "Home is where you're feeling safe..."

Have fun shooting the video tomorrow and in the next couple of days!

I can't stop watching this video :D Those melodies are beautiful.. I CANNOT WAIT to hear this album!!

Pheeew!

What an ordeal!

I have a couple of key take-aways from yesterday's session:

1) It looks FANTASTIC! You are going to love the video -we already do! We still have only seen the snippets recorded yesterday without any editing but -man, oh man it looks great!

2) We suck at playing with playback! It was incredibly difficult. Remember that there is no sound from the instrument at all, so all of a sudden you realize that you are way off somewhere on the wrong string. It is impossible to use your ears to guide you so this was a learning experience for sure...

-Aside from the video recording we also did the photo shoot for the album artwork yesterday, which is one explanation why we were at it for so long. The concept looks great and we really felt at home with it and the way it seems to turn out. Now the editing starts and we will not see neither the photos nor the video for quite some time now. We will aim for an August release of the video assuming all works out as planned. Then the video release will be followed by an album release hopefully sometime in September.

In the studio Tommy has some lead work to do during this week and will then take a couple of days off before continuing with all the backing vocal arrangements. The lead work continues for Johan and Kyrt in the mean time and we will start to send stuff over to the guy who is mixing the album very shortly to start working on the foundations of the sound.
This means that then when everything is in place we are a good step ahead in the mixing process and can simply focus on "the icing on the cake" for the remainder of the mixing process.

Thanks for following our progress, slow as it may be!

Thanks for following our progress, slow as it may be!

Thanks for keeping us updated and answering questions, as much time as it may take :p

Awesome stuff on the vocals, hope we'll hear some more soon! So...about Tommy's secret formula in that spray bottle...what kind of liquor is it? :p
Though I guess if he's gonna share his secret, awesome metal vocalists will pop up all over the place :p

I love the fretless bass stuff on the slow song too! Very nice!

As for drummers...drummers will be drummers, eh? :p

thanx for the long update Andy...... I'm curious about the concept..... hope you can reveal something soon ;)

Thanks again for the info, Andreas (the fretless bassparts in the slow song are indeed awesome, the second part has 'solo' written all over it).

I get from your post that still a lot has to be done - lead and background vocals, lead work in guitar and keys, mixing...etc.
Does this mean that you recorded the video with some kind of unfinished song or was this particular song completely done (incl. backing vocals)?
Obviously, in august the video will have the final and best mixed/produced sound but I'm just curious how these things work in 'metalmusic-showbizz-land'.

Naaah -no solo, that fretless piece is actually what I play during the chorus :D
-If you listen to the vocals that are playing when Tommy is being silly by the microphone, you may hear it is the same thing.

Well spotted and good question;
-This particular song had both guitar and keyboard leads finished, but you are right that we recorded the video without backing vocals. Since the bulk of the tracks on this song was done anyway, it worked fine as the tracks that will be on the album are what we used when recording the video.

Don't know what is in the bottle... ...Tommy?

The concept? Well, it will become clear eventually. It is not intimately linked to this particular song, but more so to the title track and a theme that is present on that and at least one other track on the album.

Has anyone started to piece together the information so far in this log about the constitution of this album, like which track is which yet...? :Spin:
-We're getting there ya know!

Why couldn't you have volume while shooting the video? Even just a little.. you could have muted it out later, couldn't you?