Stuff you recently discovered

Originally posted by Ultimate_Symphony
No problem bud :D

Believe it or not, I just started listening to Dark Tranquility tonight... Fact is, I have basicly had two of the songs I have by them on repeat all night...:) Gotta say they sound mighty good ;)

(Awesome stuff to headbang to, also :p)

That's really cool :headbang: I guess you didn't have trouble with the vocals right? you should check these bands also:

Soilwork

The Chainheart Machine- Their strongest album IMO
A Predator's Portrait- This one is less aggresive than Chainheart and here they mix clean and harsh vocals.

Darkane

Rusted Angel- If you can get past the vocals and you love aggressive metal check it out. Thrash metal with classical and prog/death metal influences.

Expanding Senses- More melodious than Rusted Angel, but at the same time pretty aggressive.

Darkane's Webpage

Click on discography and then on official releases for some samples.

Enjoy :D

(Note: Both bands have very skilled musicians, specially on guitar and drums) oh and btw Darkane's drummer (Peter Wildoer) is also the drummer of Time Requiem.

oh man...... let's see.... i just found out about ville from sentenced's band poisonblack... it's pretty good stuff. I haven't heard a lot of new stuff recently... the past year has been good for new stuff, but it';s slowing down. the only stuff i can recommend that i have heard since summer is otyg, vintersorg, havayoth, borknagar (especially empiricism!!!), after forever, within temptation, virgin steele, and old man's child

ProgMetalFan said:
Why listen to 2nd-rate Symphony X ripoffs when you can listen to the real thing?
azal said:
they are shitty rip-off artists.

with huge chops.

but they still eat dick.

Why would you be so harsh? And bitter? I don't understand.

Why can't I enjoy those clearly talented and killer bands without the likes of you pissin on em for doing what bands have done for 100 years which is create music with what they've been influenced by.

You fucks. Symphony X wouldn't exist if they hadn't done the same thing. Now stop being so immature and screwing things up for people who just want to enjoy Symphony X and other bands LIKE THEM!!!

Polyeidus said:

Why can't I enjoy those clearly talented and killer bands without the likes of you pissin on em for doing what bands have done for 100 years which is create music with what they've been influenced by.

You fucks. Symphony X wouldn't exist if they hadn't done the same thing. Now stop being so immature and screwing things up for people who just want to enjoy Symphony X and other bands LIKE THEM!!!

Words Of Wisdom. I agree totally.

Time Requiem is nothing like Symphony X.

SX is influenced by Yngwie to a degree.

Time Requiem LIFTS EXACT RIFFS, MELODIES, AND LYRICS, from Yngwie.

I feel sorry for people who can't see the difference.

azal said:
Time Requiem is nothing like Symphony X.

Progressive, metal, neo-classical, hmmm... Maybe you're right. Time Requiem is none of that.

SX is influenced by Yngwie to a degree.

Why, yes they are. And on their bio page they list all of their other major influences as well. You should check it out.

Time Requiem LIFTS EXACT RIFFS, MELODIES, AND LYRICS, from Yngwie.

Show me.

I feel sorry for people who can't see the difference.

Yeah, me too.

here I'll show you.

dust out your Yngwie CDs and enjoy laughing at this shitty band!!!

Majestic - Abstract Symphony
________

Loser Shades of Hell
Yngwie rip off - Don't Let it End, The Only One

Standing Alone
Yngwie rip off - Crying solo section

Black Moon Rising
Yngwie rip off - Deja Vu

Seekers Battlefield
Yngwie rip off - You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget

Majestic - Trinity Overture
________

Entering the Arena
Yngwie rip off - Rising Force

Voodoo Treasure
Symphony X rip off - Of Sins and Shadows

Rapture of Canaan
Yngwie rip off - Queen In Love

I'll Shoot the Moon
Symphony X rip off - Smoke and Mirrors

Curtain of Fire
Yngwie rip off - My Ressurection

The Breath of Horus
Yngwie rip off - Dark Ages, Queen in Love solo section

Approaching the Storm
Yngwie rip off - Disciples of Hell

Confusicus
Yngwie rip off - Don't Let it End

Time Requiem - s/t
(don't have the song titles)

Track 2
Symphony X rip off - Bird-Serpent War

Track 3
Yngwie rip off - Never Die, Asylum

Track 4
Yngwie rip off - Voodoo Nights, Crying

Track 5
Nightwish rip off - The Pharoah Sails to Orion

Track 6
Dream Theater rip off - Metropolis Part 1
Yngwie rip off - Rising Force

Track 7
Yngwie rip off - Far Beyond the Sun, Wield My Sword

Track 8
Dream Theater rip off - Ytse Jam

have fun :)

@azal

Yes, I dusted off all of my Malmsteen, carefully compared the examples you so graciously provided, and came to this conclusion.

It's obvious for any classicaly trained(not self taught) musician that there is nothing new under the sun. Undeniably true. With their training, which consists of theory and major influences, in one form or another, it isn't suprising to hear those elements reflected in their composition. It's a different matter altogether when you have blatant plagarism, and it's also that much more easily recognizable. It's clear in Anderssons(Majestic, Time Requiem, Adagio) music however, as well as in Symphony X, Yingwie Malmsteen, or Dream Theater's music, that there are very similar themes, and theory, behind their composition. Also, when you have musicians passionate as these are about the combination of progressive and classical elements with heavy metal, you're going to see very similar themes, and theory behind it all.

Be it clear, I don't feel compelled to defend Richard Andersson on any personally driven motives. What I've read of him and his views, quite frankly, gets on my nerves. But when I see this kind of bias and prejudice you're showing, for bands such as these, showing similarities to Symphony X(God forbid) it drives me up the wall. Andersson was majorly influenced by JS Bach, as well as Yingwie Malmsteen. He even dedicated one of the songs of off Time Requiem to Mlamsteen. Imagine that! He even makes it clear in many interviews he's taken part in. And guess what? So is Malmsteen. As most Malmsteen fans are aware, his biggest influence was that of JS Bach.

Understand, what Symphony X has done is no greater than single handedly led progressive and metal into a new genre. And it's hard to believe, for most Sym X fans, that anyone else could even come close! But bands are coming close. They haven't quite made it, yet, but they surely have come close.

Polyeidus said:
@azal

Understand, what Symphony X has done is no greater than single handedly led progressive and metal into a new genre. And it's hard to believe, for most Sym X fans, that anyone else could even come close! But bands are coming close. They haven't quite made it, yet, but they surely have come close.

Time Requiem, Silent Voices, Adagio, Majestic, et al are nowhere close to Symphony X.

NP: ARK - "Feed the Fire"

DUDE BLACK MOON RISING IS EXACTLY DEJA VU NOTE FOR NOTE!

they aren't coincidences.

just accept that he doesn't have one original, musical thought in him entire body.

Erm... To the Time Requiem-discussion... I like it.. Although one of the songs reminds me a lot of "The Bird-Serpent War" by SyX vocally... Watching The Tower Of Skies or something like that.. I like it.. But it kinda gives you a "hmm... whatever"-feeling, you know.

Polyeidus said:

Very well said. Polyeidus, either don't post here or get used to a few select *ahem* children who have nothing better to do than bash and belittle everyone else's tastes but their own, which are normally pigeonholed, narrow, and limited to their own perception of the elite. Carry on.

Ditto to you. And don't you know there's no crying in baseball? Sorry, didn't realize I was hurting your feelings. :lol:

O/T: Do you actually *DO* anything at State College, or do you just hang around campus and ogle freshman girls on occasion?

You know, just curious if "Hey ladies, have you ever heard of California Guitar Trio?" works as a pick-up line. ;)