Stupid Things

Vimana

Mar 2, 2007
I was just thinking about how dumb it is to try to get rid of Euro-centric views by learning about other cultures in a way that measures them up against Western culture. I think it's just stupid to argue for equality in a standard that you are trying to make the world stop using. Anyway, I felt this would make a good topic. Share things you think are stupid.

Žižek claims that ideological prejudices are invested in our unconscious in such a way that just saying "we need to learn about this culture as it really is" is not enough and, in fact, accomplishes nothing.

Taking anti-Semitism, he writes that: "The proper answer to anti-Semitism is therefore not 'Jews are really not like that' but 'the anti-Semitic idea of Jew has nothing to do with Jews; the ideological figure of a Jew is a way to stitch the inconsistency of our own ideological system.'"

That is, he claims that any way of trying to "understand" another culture that is a victim of ideological prejudice cannot overcome the ideological foundations of our own society, as they're grounded in our unconscious. Rather, we have to realize that the conception we have of said culture has absolutely nothing to do with that culture. Rather, it's a kind of "pathological, paranoid construction." Even if the stereotypes were correct, and Jews actually were greedy, thieving bastards, this doesn't change the fact that our prejudice against them is a construct of our own thought, our own ideological misgivings.

Now, the question is: do you agree with this?

-Anyone who opposes birth control in any situation
-Cultural relativism taken too far
-The stupidity with which the "obesity crisis" in the United States/UK/AUS is handled
-Mobile phone service providers
-Public education in Japan

Private education ain't exempt either. Education in general sucks almost everywhere except in Quaker schools

After seeing a post in this thread, I should add absolutism, as well as logical fallacies in general, but those are kind of a given.

Edit: I also think debating for the most part is stupid. Whenever I do anything close to a debate, it's only so I can learn about the subject. I think it's silly to make a competition out of being correct. Besides, I've rarely seen debating change one's point of view, and on the internet there is a vast supply of information to support anything.

Einherjar, I agree with Zizek on the subject of ideology as an unconscious construct that orients our thought in certain ways or toward certain latent ideas.

In fact, I agree with much of what Zizek has to say, though his politics (i.e. his positive political program, not his critiques) is a recipe for disaster as far as I can understand it.

When you spend 5 minutes trying to reach your finger up your nose almost getting the booger, but unable to get it every time. Then you give up, and become extremely annoyed.

The last Zizek book I read was atrocious. Not for the content (I can't even remember what he was talking about), but for his style of writing.

Edit:
I guess one stupid thing I hate is my crippling depression.

Edit:
I guess one stupid thing I hate is my crippling depression.

The way society(ies) view mental illness and emotional disorders is stupid. Psychology is nowhere near a science as of yet, it's just a crap shoot.
Other stupid shit:
American drug policy
Globalization
American energy and infrastructure policy
The lack of a truly international alliance with the aim of colonizing space
The Abrahamic religions

Einherjar, I agree with Zizek on the subject of ideology as an unconscious construct that orients our thought in certain ways or toward certain latent ideas.

In fact, I agree with much of what Zizek has to say, though his politics (i.e. his positive political program, not his critiques) is a recipe for disaster as far as I can understand it.

Interesting point.

Žižek's opinions are more easily understood once you've established him in contingence with the Lacanian philosophy he subscribes to. For instance, the fact that ideological prejudices are embedded within an unconscious that we cannot escape becomes more lucid once we acknowledge Lacan's idea of the "Real," the "Other" (or Imaginary) and the "Symbolic." If there is this primordial, archaic notion called the "Real" that we can't tap into (except for in dreams), then it stands to reason that a complete removal from ideological foundations is necessary in order to overcome prejudices (which, in all honesty, is just the layering on the cake). We cannot understand our own "Real" (i.e. that which is not affected by our understanding of it) because it is alienated from us; therefore, we cannot understand our own prejudices because they stem from somewhere alien to us (by "us" I mean the Imaginary other, or the objectified self).

I think that Žižek's theories stand very well if set against themselves. The problem arises when you introduce other philosophical theories; for instance, the Heideggerian notion of "world disclosure." There are alternate theories as to how the ideological system functions; Heidegger would claim that certain ideological systems/organizations function in a positive way in that they provide subjects with a kind of meaningful orientation for navigating in the world.