Things you wish you knew more about

Or you could be like me and assume that the majority is probably doing it wrong, then it's not a hassle, it's doing it right.

That's what I do think for the most part, but you don't want to give anyone any inkling of that kind of idea or people will listen to you even less than they do already. :p But I pretty much do and believe things about as right as I can judge them to be, otherwise there's no point....stuff which can be grouped in a factual context of course.

Edit: Most people don't know why they do what they do, and the way they do it. They just imitated the first people they saw doing whatever and assumed that is the way it is/was done.

That's one reason a lot of people are pretty clueless, because it helps your self-knowledge and knowledge in general to know as many 'whys' about yourself as you can, and most people just don't bother or think of it as a hassle when it should be elementary.

but you don't want to give anyone any inkling of that kind of idea or people will listen to you even less than they do already. :p

I did say majority, not everyone. Someone else out there is probably doing it better than me, or straight up doing right and I am wrong, but I never assume that the majority has it right.

That's one reason a lot of people are pretty clueless, because it helps your self-knowledge and knowledge in general to know as many 'whys' about yourself as you can, and most people just don't bother or think of it as a hassle when it should be elementary.

Like the old story about why the ends of the ham got chopped off. Imitation without question.

Some good stuff here. I definitely second the science, economics and music theory. Those are three things I very much want to learn more about. Car maintenance is also a priority, but mainly just because you can save so much damn money by fixing your car yourself. After working on my headlights and brakes I think I've got the basic idea, and could probably handle a lot of the essentials with a manual. I just need more practice.

Of the sciences, chemistry is the one I feel the most unrequited curiosity for. The whole convoluted logic behind it gives it that classic "tome of magic spells" feel. Plus it would be unbelievably badass to have a chemistry lab in the basement of my future house.

Question: have any of you post-college people ever continued visiting colleges afterward just to sit in on the classes? That's pretty much a must for me once I'm out of school, and have the ability to learn what I want without the pressures of homework, grades and graduation hanging over my head. I want to bum off lecture classes like fuck in the coming year.

Hmm, I wish I knew more about about Piano and Theory in general, guitar included. Its just that ive got to this point with the Guitar technically, where I can play exactly what i want to. Because of that reason, I dont learn Theory. I dont know I guess im a lazy fuck.

Technical music theory turns my brain to mush just like any written math does. I have no idea what I'm playing most of the time and my guitar isn't even in standard tuning because I'm self taught and I did it wrong and 11 years is too late to go back. But I can tell you a whole lot of things in music that make sense, don't make sense, and why, in a really abstract sort of way. I know a whole whole lot about it, but some different things than most, and in a different way than most. That's just how I absorbed it over the years.

yeah thats exactly the same as me. When my dad does show me some theory, I know what hes talking about. Then I try to explain my way of understanding it, and he goes completely blank lol. My excuse is a musician should rely on his Ear anyways, so fuck theory.

To add to this, I don't know if anyone else is this way, but with at least 90% of stuff I do in life, I always kind of feel like I do it left-of-center from how everyone else does, and people usually act completely shocked at the difference even if it's a minor thing, like taping up a box for example, or sometimes even walking (a lot of people have said I walk in a really strange way and ask why which makes it awkward because if I say 'why' - as if there is a reason - then it's like acknowledging it - which I don't, because I don't think I do and who cares anyway?). I don't want to not have my own way of doing things, because I think everyone should, but it would be cool to sort of figure out a few more important 'normal' ways of doing things so I can avoid the hassle sometimes.

ME TOO! I didn't know that anyone else had that problem. I have it pretty bad with walking. Plus, I always sit on the left side of my ass.

Tbh I'm interested in languages only as a means of one day being able to live in another country for a while and not be a completely worthless foreigner. I'd probably start with German and Chinese, since they seem particularly rewarding in terms of the opportunities they open up. I already know a fair amount of Spanish, though visiting South/Central America or Spain really isn't a priority for me.

I'm a voracious reader and knowledge seeker so whenever I get the feeling that I don't know enough about some subject but really want to know more, the feeling doesn't last for long. Recently, I've gotten way into economics. I've devoured so much literature on it in such a short period of time because it was like a horrible itch that I had to scratch. That's how I get with every subject that interests me. Some other subjects that I've done the same with: philosophy (obviously), European paganism, cosmology, music history and theory, visual arts.

Right now I can't think of anything else that I feel the need to know more about other than perhaps natural rights and social contract theory.

I've been meaning to dive more into economic theory. Stuff like Hayek and other Friedman texts and so on. I should know more about it but I've been lazy. I'd also like to dig more into philosophy like Russell, Aristotle and Hegel and the like.

Let me know if you need some reading recommendations.

Send me a PM, bra. Hayek is already on my list though and I've already read Capitalism and Freedom

Try to focus on stuff that is centered towards the Austrian economic theories.

Throw in some philo recs too. Mainly:

Russell
Kant
Give me a third I might like

No problem, bra. I can definitely point you towards some essential Austrian stuff (in fact, I can show you where you can read all that stuff for free :))

I'd like to explore all sorts of literature both fiction and non-fiction, and get a foundation on how exactly to go about evaluating the quality of written word. Exact topics range from various branches of philosophy, the idea of formal logic is something I could see myself becoming obsessed with (though I'm thinking about waiting until college before attempting to move past the fundamentals), as well as advanced music theory/history.

To people like Cyth or anyone else who reads quite a bit: Do you listen to music while you read? I'm fairly new to the whole medium in general, and I'm always a my pals and have the mindset of "well, I should probably spend this free time listening to music". I typically try to listen to ambient music while I multi-task like this, but I feel like it inhibits my ability to process everything in the book.

I'd like to explore all sorts of literature both fiction and non-fiction, and get a foundation on how exactly to go about evaluating the quality of written word. Exact topics range from various branches of philosophy, the idea of formal logic is something I could see myself becoming obsessed with (though I'm thinking about waiting until college before attempting to move past the fundamentals), as well as advanced music theory/history.

To people like Cyth or anyone else who reads quite a bit: Do you listen to music while you read? I'm fairly new to the whole medium in general, and I'm always a my pals and have the mindset of "well, I should probably spend this free time listening to music". I typically try to listen to ambient music while I multi-task like this, but I feel like it inhibits my ability to process everything in the book.

I can never really focus on the material at hand with most music playing, unless it's something really ambient or understated and flowing (i.e. The Mantle). Then again, I'm much less productive with schoolwork when I'm listening to music, so if that doesn't bother you I can't imagine it'll hinder your reading abilities, either.