Lacuna Coil
Nevermore
Sonatica Artica
After Forever
Samael
The Prophecy
Sentenced
Arch Enemy

I will try and write this so it isnt rude. but for £39 for the 2 days, i think Bloodstock should be attracting ''bigger'' more ''up to date'' bands than what they are currently getting.

Its really just a comparison to what you can get on the continent. I went to Graspop this year and that cost less and that weekend camping ticket included train fares and car parking.

Also wacken is a lot cheaper too compared to Bloodstock and thats 3 days and you get more stages etc.....

It has been proven that Metal music from Europe is growing in the UK, look at Bloodstock 2003 nearly selling out with Nightwish on the bill, and also the Metal Odyssey (dimmu headlined) in London 2 years ago and how that was upgraded to the Astoria from the Mean Fiddler due to a sell out.

Frustrates me sometimes..... My other half sent an email to Trail of Tears saying that he would love to see them play the UK, but they said they dont sell enough CD's and Merchandise, so they guess they dont have a fan base...

But u need to get over here, and then see what happens.... There are plenty of unknown bands play the UK. Look at how much Lacuna Coil have grown since they played the Metal Odyssey 2 years ago, now they are headlining their own gig above Moonspell in December!

Trace said:
Bands that should be at Bloodstock are

NIGHTWISH AGAIN!

Dimmu Borgir
Lacuna Coil
Nevermore
Sonatica Artica
After Forever
Samael
The Prophecy
Sentenced
Arch Enemy

I will try and write this so it isnt rude. but for £39 for the 2 days, i think Bloodstock should be attracting ''bigger'' more ''up to date'' bands than what they are currently getting.

Its really just a comparison to what you can get on the continent. I went to Graspop this year and that cost less and that weekend camping ticket included train fares and car parking.

Also wacken is a lot cheaper too compared to Bloodstock and thats 3 days and you get more stages etc.....

It has been proven that Metal music from Europe is growing in the UK, look at Bloodstock 2003 nearly selling out with Nightwish on the bill, and also the Metal Odyssey (dimmu headlined) in London 2 years ago and how that was upgraded to the Astoria from the Mean Fiddler due to a sell out.

Frustrates me sometimes..... My other half sent an email to Trail of Tears saying that he would love to see them play the UK, but they said they dont sell enough CD's and Merchandise, so they guess they dont have a fan base...

But u need to get over here, and then see what happens.... There are plenty of unknown bands play the UK. Look at how much Lacuna Coil have grown since they played the Metal Odyssey 2 years ago, now they are headlining their own gig above Moonspell in December!
Good comments, but we should need to stress the following with regards to Bloodstock in the UK:

1. The European Festivals you talk about cater for 10's of thousands of fans, multiply this by the ticket price and you can afford many big name bands. typically a festival band budget is 1/3 of overall sellout cost (i.e. wackens band budget (30,000x55Eu / 3 is 0.5Million Euro's!!, Bloodstock is 40,000Euro's)

2. Bloodstock caters for 2,000 fans, multiply this by the ticket price and you can afford 1 big name band and several minor / smaller acts. Or you can afford several mid-range acts who do not come to the Uk very often. Case in point - Manowar will want @ £20,000 which is 25% of Bloodstock door price. This would then not be Bloodstock but a standard Manowar show as we would not be able to get any other bands. Same goes for Bodom, Priest, Motorhead, Iced Earth, Dimmu, Rammstein, even Dio and Queensryche! ................ As soon as a band gets wind of headlining a festival (regardless of capacity - 2000 - 30,000), they want their "festival" fee (Priest with Ripper was £60,000, how much now)!!
Your lineup would cost @ £60,000 in bands fees and transport and accomodation alone, however it is likely you will see these bands at Bloodstock festivals over several years (not in 1 go, as it would be rare that they could all play our little festival in 1 go)!!
Gone are the days of tour support from Record Labels. Gone are the days of festival sponsors.

3. If we get to the size of Donington in a few years then we can put on a Wacken style lineup. BUT do you fans really want this?, and look at the price for this years show!!

4. 50% of a typical European bands fee is increased by the fact that they have to travel to the UK for a one off show - much cheaper if it is part of their tour schedule (a la Primal Fear shows), i.e. the tour has a budget not individual shows.

5. Also in the UK our overheads are higher, VAT is 17.5%, suppliers are more expensive than Europe etc etc etc.

6. You did not mention the cost of travelling to these festivals, i.e. Flights to Germany, Ferry, Driving (fuel) etc (can be 100's of £'s), whereas in the UK you are 30 miles from the show?

7. We have been in existence for 3 shows so far - Wacken is in its 15th Year - go back to 1991-3 and see who they had on their first few festivals and how many people attended - a parallel with Bloodstock do you think? I don't think we are doing too badly.

So - the question to you is:

Do we have several mid-range bands who work with us to put on a great show, or 1 big band and a bunch of unknowns? Most of our band budget will go on the 2 headliners ............

In order to reduce the ticket price do we go to one main stage, less bands etc. Remember Bloodstock is a UK Metal Festival and is a showcase for BRITISH METAL also, hence a lot of decent British metal bands!

Bloodstock at the moment can only be compared to "indoor" festivals abroad, i.e. Z7 (Swiss), Biebob (Belgium), you cannot compare with Graspop, Bang your Head, Sweden Rock, Wacken, having said that - you can but on a much smaller scale!! More stages? Find me an indoor venue with more than 2 stages? Are we big enough to go outdoors? If we do will we lose the current Bloodstock fanbase who like it indoors? So many questions ...........

I APOLOGISE FOR COMPARING BLOODSTOCK TO GRASPOP, BUT ITS THE ONLY EURO FESTIVAL I HAVE BEEN TO , THUS THE ONLY COMPARISON I HAVE, I HAVE BEEN TO DONINGTON 1996 - 2002, BUT I WILL NOT GO BACK AGAIN, AS MY MUSIC TASTES HAVE CHANGED, ALSO WITH THE LINE UP THAT THEY GET NOWAYDAYS PUTS ME OFF.

3. If we get to the size of Donington in a few years then we can put on a Wacken style lineup. BUT do you fans really want this?, and look at the price for this years show!!

YES BUT INDOORS OR MARQUES (i know there dear, but its just an idea)

6. You did not mention the cost of travelling to these festivals, i.e. Flights to Germany, Ferry, Driving (fuel) etc (can be 100's of £'s), whereas in the UK you are 30 miles from the show?

I HAVE LOOKED INTO AIR FARE PRICES TO HAMBURG (wacken) + LEIPZIG (wave gottik treffen), ETC, AND WITH RYANAIR YOUR LOOKING AT 80 QUID FOR 2 PEOPLE RETURN. and with that in tow i would go that extra mile to go Europe for a better lineup, but like you say you dont have the budget. but theres no reason why i wouldnt go to Bloodstock and Wacken if the line ups are good... We would go anywhere around the world for the music.

7. We have been in existence for 3 shows so far - Wacken is in its 15th Year - go back to 1991-3 and see who they had on their first few festivals and how many people attended - a parallel with Bloodstock do you think? I don't think we are doing too badly.

I THINK YOUR DOING AN EXCELLENT JOB

So - the question to you is:

Do we have several mid-range bands who work with us to put on a great show, or 1 big band and a bunch of unknowns? Most of our band budget will go on the 2 headliners ............

I THINK YOU SHOULD GO TO 1 STAGE WITH A BETTER LINE UP. PEOPLE WERE SATISFIED WITH THAT AT DONINGTON IN 1996.

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE 1 BAND ON THE BILL THAT I AM PASSIONATE ABOUT AND THAT I HAVENT SEEN BEFORE I WOULD GO TO BLOODSTOCK. my list Evenfall , Epica, Elis, Autumn, Old Mans Child, Dimmu Borgir, Inkubus Sukkubus, Beseech, Xandria, Theatre of Tragedy, Trail of Tears, Sirenia, Tristania, Zyklon, After Forever, Betray my secrets, Project Hate,

YOU SHOULD KEEP THE TICKET PRICE THE SAME BUT I THINK ONE STAGE IS ENOUGH IN MY OPINION FOR 2 DAYS AND TO GET A QUALITY LINE UP. AS LONG AS THERE IS MUSIC ON IN- BETWEEN, OR SOME OTHER SORT OF ENTERTAINMENT, MUSIC STALLS/ GAMING AREAS ? POOL ETC? I DONT KNOW WHAT THE ASSEMBLY ROOMS ARE LIKE FOR SPACE, PROPORTIONS ETC.

Bloodstock at the moment can only be compared to "indoor" festivals abroad, i.e. Z7 (Swiss), Biebob (Belgium), you cannot compare with Graspop, Bang your Head, Sweden Rock, Wacken, having said that - you can but on a much smaller scale!! More stages? Find me an indoor venue with more than 2 stages? Are we big enough to go outdoors? If we do will we lose the current Bloodstock fanbase who like it indoors? So many

I MUST ADMIT I ENJOYED GRASPOP WITH THE 2 MARQUES' WITH THE BETTER SOUND QUALITY / LIGHTING / MORE ATOMSPHERE THAN AN OUT DOOR STAGE LIKE THERE WAS AT GRASPOP/DONINGTON.

bloodstock said:
even Dio and Queensryche!
I'm surprised Dio is that much. Oh well...
bloodstock said:
Without doubt, I'd go for several mid range bands, and perhaps a slightly larger mid-range band to headline. Yes, I'd prefer a Priest or a Manowar headlining, and even be prepared to pay extra for it. But I suspect there aren't enough like me to justify it, and then you'd have a big band playing to an empty hall. Besides, I think Bloodstock is pretty good value at 39 quid, and I have no qualms about the price.
bloodstock said:
Are we big enough to go outdoors? If we do will we lose the current Bloodstock fanbase who like it indoors?
No, you're not, and yes, you probably will. I'm getting too old for that shit! :) Were it outdoors, then yes, there's a fair chance I'd still go anyway. But it wouldn't be an automatic decision like it is now...

Aborym were ace on Satday at the Electrowerkz. Definately a live act to remember and well worth seeing, I repeat my plea for them.

The Prophecy
Or we could just get MDB, considering the former sound exactly like the latter, but TP are still a good band to have.

Annal Nathrakth ARE going to play live, they're currently in talks with Mayhem and Decapitated about supporting them in their may tour. As they're Brits too it'd be excelent to have them at BS04

http://www.conceptshrine.com Interesting Prog/Industrial band, I was given the EP free at Aborym on sat, very tallented and unique sound.

And yes, I'd definately rather stay indoors, much better atmosphere.

Fanjad Nuts said:
Totally agree with MDB & Anathema but what about Budgie or Angelwitch ! And while we are at it here's my other hopeful's : Manowar, Rhapsody, Nevermore, Arch Enemy, Nile, Morbid Angel, Serpents Kiss.........
Serpents Kiss ? is that the band that Wayne from BLAZE is in , if so bring it on ,that guys a fookin nutter( in the best possable way)

BurningLeather said:
I know this ain't the first post of it's kind, but I'm rather hoping we get some good, serious suggestions and that the organisers get wind of them! The last 3 years have been a godsend and we need this to continue. Sonata Arctica and Lost Horizon I could live with very easily, so they should join the ranks of the 'most wanted'

Lots of folk I chatted to on the day this year mentioned Halford and I think it would have been great were it not for the fact that he was busy elsewhere. Now that he's back with Priest, I can't see it happening, though several of said metalheads were adamant that Priest should be booked for next year. While I would be thrilled to see that, I can't see it happening. Ditto with Manowar.
i think Priest will be doing the big Maiden come back and only playing arenas , Manowar would be great , not sure if theyed fry over for a one off tho, what about our very oun Motorhead , now that would be cool.

for what itsorth ,i think lost horisons would be great ( they did indeed shredd at Wacken )
mentions of Twisted sister have been flying around , that would be a great end to the festi, My personal choice for friday headliners would the mighty Motorhead , and considering that Bloodstock are putting on Primal fear in Wolves i wouldnt be surprised if they are on the bill
and of course Fourwaykill headlining the 2nd stage would just be fuckin awsome.....

Personally I would love to see Ayreon. I have the Star One DVD and they truly put on a awesome show! However...I'm not sure whether they have a the kind of fan base here in the Uk that will make them a big draw for Bloodstock. Mind you ..if they came .... could we get Symphony X too...or get some other great guest vocalists?? A girl can dream!! :D

Symphony X! (drools) that would be amazing, i'd love to see them live. I've only heard a bit of Ayreon's music so far but they're really good. One band i'd seriously like to see live though are Rage. I've heard they're totally superb live and outstaged Helloween when they supported them.

Annal Nathrakth would be awesome
They're not just a studio band, they can play live, they're doing a peel session in a couple of weeks and that May tour with Mayhem, Krisiun an Decapitated

failing that, get Frost!! \m/