Summary of upcoming shows

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Please add / correct as needed this list of upcoming shows in September and October around Chicago that should appeal to us wimpy power and prog type folks:

9/8 Rush, Midwest Bank Ampitheatre or whatever it's called now
9/14 Katatonia, Scar Symmetry, etc; Pearl Room
9/15 Within Temptation; House of Blues
9/18 Epica; Pearl Room
9/20 Firewind; Pearl Room
9/21 Sonata Arctica; Metro
9/23 Edguy; Pearl Room
10/14: Overkill, After Forever; Pearl Room
10/16,10/18: Van Halen **; Allstate Arena, United Center
10/26: Therion; Pearl Room
10/27: Nightwish; House of Blues

Quite a list!

Ken

Some promoter should have worked the routing better to pair up some of those line-ups.
Would have probably resulted in stronger turn-outs.

I totally agree. They shoul dhave tried to have Firewind at the Sonata show like many of the other shows on that tour. If Therion could have jumped on that Nightwish tour...damn, that would have been great exposure for them. Now I have to sit through Paradise Lost....again.

Yea, I assume some of those bands have the same agents.
You would think when looking for a date for some of the questionable headliners (IE - Firewind, Epica, etc.) (Not knocking those bands, but I think even their most hardcore fans would agree that in the states they probably are not headliner material just yet), they would have tried to hook them up with another gig.

Though routing can be a bitch, esp with all the contention with all the other tours going on.

Some promoter should have worked the routing better to pair up some of those line-ups.
Would have probably resulted in stronger turn-outs.
Ideally yes...I agree.

Realistically no...as there are too many agents involved acting independently. And as long as they get the guarantees ($$$) from the venues that the tour package requires, then why would they care?

Plus, I see this as a snapshot of what will start happening more often throughout the year...as more & more foreign bands start touring here...in addition to many new domestic bands touring as well. Personally, I welcome this scenario with open arms...as this shows a rise in underground metal!!:kickass:

Now this isn't directed at you specifically, Jason...but why do people complain when not enough bands tour over here (in the past anyway), but now complain when too many bands tour...WTF?!?!?! :rolleyes:

I'll be at Katatonia and Firewind for sure. There's also Madpower up in Madison, WI on Sept. 28th. If any of you cats can swing that one, I think you should. I'll be there.

@Rob
I don't think we complain about the number of tours coming this way these days, I think it's the concentration of them all hitting Chicago at the same time. That puts a squeeze on anyone's pocketbook! :loco:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Type O Negative @ The Vic, Oct. 21. Haven't decided on that one yet. Ugh.

I have to slightly agree with Jason witht he fact that some of these shows like Firewind will be very empty. I bet at most maybe 100 people will be there for that show. With so much competition lots of people will not be able to go to all the shows...so the lesser shows will be hurt. The bad part is these bands will think that they dont draw in the US and wont come back. Plus now we are going to be flooded with shows of 4 local acts and one good headliner. I would rather see a nice tour package every few months than more shows filled with locals.

@Rob
I don't think we complain about the number of tours coming this way these days, I think it's the concentration of them all hitting Chicago at the same time. That puts a squeeze on anyone's pocketbook! :loco:

Oh, I can totally understand the financial concern, but the complaining I was refering to was towards the "lack of effort on the part of the promoters/agents", which I think is unfounded. Plus, from a promoter's/agent's point of view...reality is that most bands truly do not share that many fans. Sure, people who hang out on this forum & who are like-minded may like a wide variety of bands...but that really isn't the typical situation. There are plenty of metal fans who are very particular in which bands they like or what type of music...and what may make sense to some of you to pair up Firewind with Sonata or with Epica (for example) may really not be any different from a drawing perspective than the current packages. Case in point also...the endless discussions of what would be the ideal lineup for Fest X.

Also, other factors involved in putting together packages:

1. Pate hit one of the nails on the head - these bands (or possibly their label) actually think they can headline. Could be because they've headlined a tour in Europe or played direct support on a tour here & got a good reception...and now they think they're headliner worthy. Ego...period.

2. Buy ons - support bands' labels pay to have them on the tour. Money goes into headliner pockets. Hard to turn down as you could imagine. ;)

3. Bands who can't play well with others. Some bands just don't mix. You may never know it, but one or more members of one band may hate one or more members of another band. Who knows, maybe the singer from Sonata thinks Simone is a cunt...you never know. :lol:

4. Headliner doesn't like the music of other bands we might think would make more sense to pair up with...happens all the time, for whattever reason...possibly don't want to take the risk of being outshined. For example, Amon Amarth blowing away COB on their last tour together...or Katatonia blowing away Moonspell on their last tour. Holy shit...Guess what?!?!? Now Amon Amarth & Katatonia are headlining their own tours less than a year later.

Sorry if I seem to be ranting, but it just strikes a nerve whenever I hear comments from people who think they have better ideas of how things should work, when they really don't know what truly goes into accomplishing the task discussed.

That would be like me saying, "Shit, I can open a bar...it's so easy...if I only had the funds to start one, my bar would be the most successful bar in town because I would do this & I would do that..." Hahahahahahaha...whatever.

And in case you're wondering...yes, I'm under a lot of stress recently. :lol:

Rob - I see your point about these band's agents.
If the club will match the guarantee, then sure, go for it!

As Bob said though, and we have all seen it, if the numbers don't turn out well, the band won't be stoked about coming back.

I don't see Stratovarius running back to the states after playing to 1/4 filled clubs around the country.

Sure, the agent, regardless of turnout, makes his or her cut, the band gets discouraged from wanting to ever come back.

Firewind seems to be the scapegoat in this discussion, since they are the one band that most people are scratching their heads over as a headliner. In reality, their agent probably wanted to get them a couple other gigs in the states since they were going to be in the country anyhow. As long as they make enough cash to cover transportation and hotels for the night, then all is good.

I guess my business experience with being in bands and promoting gigs comes from the punk rock scene, where things are VERY different. Even the biggest bands would be willing to work strictly on percentages, as opposed to guarantees. I am sure this has changed over the years though.

Rob - Those are all valid points, and EVERY situation (IE - band, label, tour package, etc) is unique.

All of our opinions are overall generalizations of the situation.

Though in the end, isn't it the reality of the perception of the fan that matters? I mean, sure, the agent and band may score their guarantee, but in the long run, if they play in front of 50 people, was it a good career decision? I guess it depends on the goal of the band.

Firewind seems to be the scapegoat in this discussion, since they are the one band that most people are scratching their heads over as a headliner. In reality, their agent probably wanted to get them a couple other gigs in the states since they were going to be in the country anyhow. As long as they make enough cash to cover transportation and hotels for the night, then all is good.

BINGO!! You hit the nail on the head there...I would bet tall money that this is 100% the case here. We're actually addressing the exact same issue with one of the bands we invited for the fest next year.

Though in the end, isn't it the reality of the perception of the fan that matters? I mean, sure, the agent and band may score their guarantee, but in the long run, if they play in front of 50 people, was it a good career decision? I guess it depends on the goal of the band.

I wholeheartedly agree!!! Unfortunately, it's quite rare for agents (or many bands for that matter) to be that in-tune with the fans. They almost stricty deal in figures...how many units has a band sold, what was their draw on their last tour (regardless of timing & place), how much $$$ is coming in as buy-ons, and most importantly, what's their cut. ;)

Yep, the bottom line is important.

It is easy for us as fans to say, "Hey, I want my favorite band to record a new album EVERY year, and tour 10 months out of the year"

The reality though then is if said band is going to be a full time band, they need to financially rely on the profit the band makes.

The operative word in the term "Music Business" is "busine$$", though it is understandable.

Billz need to be paid!

My friend (who is over 21) asked me, "Dude, do you want to see the Melvins in September?" and I got all excited and asked him where... fucking 21+ venues.

The Melvins are one of those bands you have to see live to truly appreciate.
The first time I saw them live was opening for KISS on their first reunion w/makeup tour in 1996.

Then I saw them a couple years later at the Fireside Bowl.
David Yow from Jesus Lizard came up for a rant and a couple songs.
Crazy shit.

As I said, few people here will probably care... :lol: