Damn!! How could you guys forget:

MACHINE HEAD & ARCH ENEMY @ HoB - 10/2

And you call yourselves metal fans. :p:lol:

Where's the metal? :p J/K

Arch Enemy are a solid live band,
Though they fall in the category of:
1) You seen them once, you seen them a million times
2) Release the SAME album over and over

Good band, but not a band I would get excited over or run to see anymore.

Where's the metal? :p J/K

Arch Enemy are a solid live band,
Though they fall in the category of:
1) You seen them once, you seen them a million times
2) Release the SAME album over and over

Good band, but not a band I would get excited over or run to see anymore.

Machine Head are posers! I love how they try to look at tough in thier videos. Why dont they wear those cool space costumes anymore? oh yeah..they are one of those bands that change with the times to try and fit in. They tried to ride the whole Powerman 5000 and Static X thing and now they are trying to be all "metal" now. I cant take bands like that serious. They are the types that sit around and wait for the next big thing so they can get aboard that train. The sad part is there is some actual talent in that band and this is the best they can come up with?

Arch Enemy are not bad...but Jason called it best.

Woe! I neglect a thread for a couple of days and there goes an explosion, heh.

@Rob
OK. I supposed I missed your reference the first time around. ;)

I was nodding my head at everything that everyone else said. Jason hit the bottom line, it IS a music "BUSINESS". In the end, the almighty dollar is at stake, no matter how much the average fan may scratch their head at a particular show. Most of it angers the bejeezus out of me, which is why I chose to walk away from the "biz" side of things about 7 years ago. I am comfortable/happier being a fan and promoting the bands I respect on my own time. I still get the satisfaction, but most importantly, I sleep better at night. :) I give huge kudos to the men and women that deal with the B.S. every day. It's takes a tough skin to do that.

As far as the Machinehead/Arch Enemy show, I am a fan of both bands. I have a current boycott against the House Of Blues though. Two words: No Re-entry. I'm sorry, but that is a crock of horse manure. It's sad because HOB used to be my favourite venue...one of the best places for sound in the city, IMO. I've seen both bands a number of times and IMHO Arch Enemy tears the shit up EVERY time. The energy that that band puts forth on stage is indescribable. If any of you can swing it, GO. The bonus is that Chris Ammott is back in the band! :headbang:

I walked away from the business side of things too a while back.
I can say that I enjoy music a HELL of a lot better NOT being in a band, or promoting shows.
I guess I personally got all wrapped up and egotistical about what I was doing.

What is wrong with HOB? Best sound in Chicago hands down.

I can certainly agree with no ins-and-outs.
What is the point first of all?
Secondly, you know how many clubs, mainly in the burbs, got shut down due to ins-and-outs?
Literally dozens. Just opens up potential for more problems.
Also, easier crowd control, less security needed, etc, etc, etc...

You Jason, ego? :lol: Just joshin' ya...

I did state that I thought HOB has the best sound in the city. My beef is my own personal problem. I am smoker, so, telling me that I need to be trapped in a building for 5 hours does not settle with me. HOB is the only venue in the city that I have been to that doesn't allow you to go outside. I understand the bans and I am well aware that come Jan. 1st, 2008, the entire state of IL will be smoke-free. Perhaps the patch is in my future. The fact still remains though, that purchasing cigarettes is not illegal. I don't mind going outside, but let me. I understand the security issues, but you're gonna pay the same people to patrol the inside to make sure nobody is taking a puff in the corner or in the bathrooms.

I don't want to derail the thread, so, there's my two cents. Nuff said.

Hey, feel free to vent. It's a worthwhile discussion.

Do other venues in the city allow ins-and-outs to smoke?
I haven't been to Metro or the Riv in a long time.

no club has in's and out's....not even the Pearl Room. Remember when everyone got in an uproar over it for Powerfest on the board. I am just not a fan on in's and out's on an all day show. Milwuakee Metalfest did it best...in's and out's till 7. then everyone has to stay in. worked out great...everyone is there for the main bands and you are able still to get food and put merch in your car. At a normal 3 hour show...not an issue for me unless I am buying something...and I havent bought anything at a show in over 4 years or more.

I agree...the bussiness side of things is a pain. There are really few of us who really know the goings on. Some people like to think they do but until you are there and it is all in your hands, you then really know what it is all about. I just feel that most of the promoters are lazy when it comes to advertising and trying to make the show the best it can be. What is happening now has happened many years back in the chicago punk/hardcore scene. There was this place called McGregors in Elmhurst. They had all age's shows on Sundays and Wed nights. Most of the show were solid. The promoter would find who ever was on tour and try and get them all in one day making it a pretty decent show. It was the in's and out's thing that ended up shutting down the club. Lots of kids in the parking lot during and after the show drinking and smoking pot. Lots of good shows were cancelled due to this problem. After it was closed there was a huge lack of shows for a while. Then the shithole The Fireside Bowl opened up and was doing shows. Early on they did the same thing...got bands who were on tour to be on one show, so you got a nice line up. Then they are doing what the Pearl Room is doing now....getting one good band and stacking it with way too many locals. They were paying the locals crap and them keeping more money for themselves. They pretty much stopped flyering for shows and putting ads out and everything. Basically with the attitude that you should just know there are shows...this was all pre-internet too. Eventually everyone was sick of having 4 locals and one out of town band playing and shows really suffered. Lots of good bands got over looked and played to an empty room. I was at one show where there were 5 paying customers.

Sure it is easy to say that band A should play with band B but as a promoter they need to make the show worth coming out for. Sure there are ego's to deal with but the bottom line is that you need to make the show worth going to. Sure you have your fans who will go see the show no matter who is playing. There are also people on the fence who wait to the last minute to decide. There have been a few shows that I was going to go see and then it came to the day and I didnt feel like sitting through a few bands just to see one I wanted and didnt go. maybe this is just me but I am curious to see the turnouts for all these September shows. Maybe after this month we should have this discussion.

I haven't been getting out to shows much lately but that streak is going to end this coming Saturday in Tinley Park...

- obviously the NP list for the past couple of weeks has been leaning heavily on the Rush catalog ;)

- been gearing up for their show this weekend, I'm looking forward to it with great anticipation. :D In fact, I can't seem to get this big grin ( :D ) off my face thinking about what's in store. Each time another one of their discs queues up in my player seems to trigger the :D :D :D too.

- this Saturday marks the 28th anniversary - to the date - of my second live Rush experience. :kickass:

- a brief interview clip with the Gedster that I heard on the radio this past weekend revealed that they are excited about coming back to play Chicago. (standard intie answer, I know) :p

- he said something about having some old-timer fans here who have "been there since the beginning." Hmm. The beginning for me was more like 2112, not the very beginning by a few years but still... what-a-long-strange-trip ... (maybe he means the radio guys, ey? yah hey der) :loco:

- he also said they may have some surprises in the setlist. I haven't sought out setlist(s) info for the current tour yet so I'm not sure what he means by surprises but hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised this weekend. :)

/fantard rant