Swedish Vintersorg...

Svarthjärtad

Iskungen
Sep 2, 2007
Färgelanda
I prefer Vintersorg's lyric texts to be written in Swedish, rather than English. Don't get me wrong, the English stuff is good, but I think The Swedish material (MCD, Fjälls, Ödemarkens, and Solens) is much best; I think that it's more connected with our culture.
Visions, Blur, and Cosmic was good, brilliantly done and in my own opinion, one of the best. Howeer, I just think that the vocals should be in Swedish for that main reason. I was really shocked and suprised with Solens Rötter - Swedish lyrics and back to the old logo. Hehe.

As for the other projects (Cronian, Waterclime, Fission, Havayoth, etc...), I think it's okay, because he started out in English with them and it's a different scene.
Like I said, that is just my own opinion and thought, I will enjoy every release - Swedish or English. Hell, write in Spanish next time! Hehe.

I personally hope that the next one will be in English. And that he brings Digiorgio back;) But anyway some sort of continuation of the focusing blur would do it for me.

Not enough artists sing in their mother tongue and it saddens me. I won't deny I find Swedish to be a tough language to listen to in a conversation, but when it's sang I find it to be one of the most beautiful I have heard. Folk-Vintersorg and Otyg was unique, and it's a shame to feel that there will never be any new material of that style. I'll support Andreas' choice no matter what, I've found he can never disappoint with his music no matter how proggy or how folky it gets. I do just miss the old times.

Not enough artists sing in their mother tongue and it saddens me. I won't deny I find Swedish to be a tough language to listen to in a conversation, but when it's sang I find it to be one of the most beautiful I have heard. Folk-Vintersorg and Otyg was unique, and it's a shame to feel that there will never be any new material of that style. I'll support Andreas' choice no matter what, I've found he can never disappoint with his music no matter how proggy or how folky it gets. I do just miss the old times.

Aye! Yes yes, I can understand what you mean! I don't know exactly why the change in languages, but I still stay close to my opinion. True, not everybody can understand it, and yes... you are correct on that, it is the most beautiful language, I think so as well!
I don't know if you know of another folk artist here, but he is called "Nordman". I personally enjoy his music because I know what he is saying, but when I show his stuff to my friends that don't know Swedish, they still love it, because it's fucking great! Haha.
Also, as an anthropologist, I like to explore the different musical cultures, and I listen to it reguardless if I cannot understand what they are saying. It's just so beautiful that a person just has to enjoy it. I recomend you listen to Asalah Nasri, it's Arabic folk music. True, I cannot understand one word she is singing about, but her voice is amazing and the music is very interesting. Skål!

I'd like to see a mixture of both, its nice to hear some songs in the beautiful Swedish language but at the same time I don't understand it so I'd still like to hear some English songs I can understand and sing along to. Either way I'd buy the album and I've listened to Solens Rotter almost every day regardless of language differences.

Posted by Steve DiGiorgio about the 'new Vintersorg album' (while he was still slated to play on it) a while ago.

Yes, but when - not sure of that. I have most, if not all of the preproduction versions of the album. Last I heard it was called Balancing The Pendulum. I haven't heard from the guys for a while...I've been pretty busy lately, as Mr.V has recorded a few different projects lately as well. But Vintersorg is Mr.V's mind child and when the time is right we'll get all the instruments recorded one way or another. The things I noticed that are a little different from the last album are mainly the arrangements are a little more complex and the music is a bit more furious, but also epic at the same time. Also there are quite a few songs sung in Swedish again. No doubt scientific metal at it's best, once again...!
SDG

I'd like to hear this one day.:)

i dont' want to open another thread to ask a stupid question, so maybe this is the rightest place where to ask, speaking of swedish lyrics.

what exactly means "Till Fjälls"?
i know that the right translation is "to the mountains".
but i've always wondered if the meaning of the preposition "till" could be both "going to" and "dedicated to" the mountains. :rolleyes:

at least I know, till means "to" more in the sense of going or send something or somewhere...

here there's some swedish guys, they can explain this better.

go to the trollskogens page....

i know the trollskogen page, first i discovered that page, later the forum.

at least I know, till means "to" more in the sense of going or send something or somewhere...

here there's some swedish guys, they can explain this better.

yes of course till means going to somewhere, what i was wondering is if it can be used to express a dedication to something, in this case an ode to the mountains.
also in italian we use the same word for both concepts.

let's wait swedish speakers to explain!

Yes. You can use 'til' for that. However, 'till' isn't just used for 'to (the)'. It can be used many ways, but just depends on how you're using it. Dedicated to the mountains would be "tillägnade", depending on what way you're interpreting 'dedicated'. Rough to explain, but I hope I did my job...
Anymore questions?

I would not advise you to use those internet translating webpages. Haha. Swedish is rough to understand, I myself have a hard time speaking it at times. Haha. Also, with dialects, it's hard to understand. I have a semi-hard time understanding people of Skåne - also with the older generations. If you use them, you will turn out just looking like some dumbass. Haha. I will be happy to teach you some basics if you like. Skål!

i dont' want to open another thread to ask a stupid question, so maybe this is the rightest place where to ask, speaking of swedish lyrics.

what exactly means "Till Fjälls"?
i know that the right translation is "to the mountains".
but i've always wondered if the meaning of the preposition "till" could be both "going to" and "dedicated to" the mountains. :rolleyes:
lefay82 said:
yes of course till means going to somewhere, what i was wondering is if it can be used to express a dedication to something, in this case an ode to the mountains.
also in italian we use the same word for both concepts.

let's wait swedish speakers to explain!
It can mean both "to the mountains" and "in [the] mountains". Phrases like this - "till [a non-specific location]+s" - is usually used to describe either someones whereabouts or destination. Till skogs (to/in the forests), till sjöss (to/at the seas), till bords (to/at the dinner table), etc.

For example: In "Nu drar jag till fjälls" (Now I go to the mountains) the subject is not yet in the mountains, but the mountains are his destination. In "Pappa är till fjälls" (Daddy is in the mountains) the subject is in the mountains, and the phrase is used to describe his whereabouts.

Now, for the Vintersorg album title, song title and chorus line, I think the most accurate translation is "In Mountains" or "In the Mountains". If you look the the context, the rest of the lyrics of the song describe nature and the writers feelings and impressions in the mountains, rather than the journey to the mountains.

The beautiful view of the steeps nurses my thirsty soul, down below the river curls like a serpent, in the mountains, in the mountains...

"Till" can be used as a dedication, though I think that when the recipient doesn't have a name it should be in definite article. i.e. "till fjällen". There should in either case be no s-suffix (till fjälls).

Small words like "till" (just as the English "to") can be used in a myriad of ways, the SAOB main article on "till" offers a lot to read for the one that's interested (and able to read Swedish...): http://g3.spraakdata.gu.se/saob/show.phtml?filenr=2/50/78158.html

first time i heard some vintersorg with the swedish lyrics,i thought it sounded cheesy,but later on i got kinda used to them and now i love them.i wonder if it´s the same way for english speaking people that initially,english lyrics sound too direct for them?