SX new album update

Phanto

Alalalalalalalala.
Apr 8, 2005
Gothenburg, SWE
From the update thread (http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/...news-updated-14-jul-update-new-cd-more-3.html)
14 July 2014
The new cd is coming right along; the songs are pretty much done and are getting some final tweaking now. Michael Romeo says that the material has a little bit of everything, and reports that the band will begin tracking drums next month after their appearance at Heavy Montreal on August 10th.

The band’s long-awaited second fan club cd will also begin taking shape around the same time, with an anticipated release in time for the holidays. As mentioned previously, it will be another collection of demo tunes and other rare material, and may also include a bit of content created just for this cd (along the lines of MJR’s Star Wars tune on the first Rarities and Demos, which has since sold out of its first pressing). SXW, the band’s revamped fan club, will be relaunching in September.
"A little bit of everything" could be good.

I always like or love the band's compositions and how they perform them for the albums. I guess they'll never disappoint me on that regard. Hopefully I'll love the sound of the upcoming album, just as i did in Iconoclast. I'll expect to hear a sound in the vein of Iconoclast, but also something surprising and fresh.

If it's really going to be diverse, then I'm all for it. I don't mind the newer approach as much as some people here seem to, but an entire album's worth of it gets dull fast. And really, at the end of the day Iconoclast just sounded like Paradise Lost again but with a different theme and worse lyrics.

Also, I remember Romeo said way back that for the next album they were considering perhaps doing another 20+ minute epic, so fingers crossed for that.

Sounds great, wow I can't believe it's been 12 years already since they released a record.

There were a couple things on The Odyssey that worried me but it sounds like they'll be getting back to that classic sound now!

Wow, this is strange. My understanding of the "sound" thing is totally different i guess. Do you like the keyboard solo tones in TDWOT? Or the drum tone on The Odyssey? When it comes to the sound, i look to the overall effect of it on me. The classic SX albums are more appealing to me also, but not soundwise.

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about the fan club CD. There was nothing from Twilight or V on the last one so hopefully, there's some stuff from those days still to be heard. Can you imagine how amazing it will be to finally hear "new" music from the "real" SX even if it's just demos with alternate verses and choruses? Man...

As for the new album, I guess it's cool to hear an update. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that it would be this far along. Looks like 2015 could happen after all. Not gonna pay any mind to that "little bit of everything" quote though. Could easily just mean that in addition to the Iconoclast style "progressive" metal, there's a ballad similar to "The Sacrifice" and an epic orchestral piece like "Oculus". We shall see...

Not gonna get my hopes up, but we'll see what happens. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a few more years lol

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about the fan club CD. There was nothing from Twilight or V on the last one so hopefully, there's some stuff from those days still to be heard. Can you imagine how amazing it will be to finally hear "new" music from the "real" SX even if it's just demos with alternate verses and choruses? Man...

As for the new album, I guess it's cool to hear an update. Honestly, I wasn't expecting that it would be this far along. Looks like 2015 could happen after all. Not gonna pay any mind to that "little bit of everything" quote though. Could easily just mean that in addition to the Iconoclast style "progressive" metal, there's a ballad similar to "The Sacrifice" and an epic orchestral piece like "Oculus". We shall see...

Agreed on the "little bit of everything," that's just one of those idiotic things bands say, like "this is our best album yet," "we're returning to our roots on this one," or "this one's heavier," it means absolutely nothing.

It'll be shit, hahahahahahaah

I'm looking forward to a little bit of bluegrass and a little bit of ambient black metal.

I could see them doing a little bluegrass, but i highly doubt it would actually happen. The ambient black metal would be pretty cool, but I don't think Russ has the chops to be a vocalist during something like that, so it'd probably have to be instrumental. And with the way the production quality has been on the past few albums, idk if it would even sound good

Agreed on the "little bit of everything," that's just one of those idiotic things bands say, like "this is our best album yet," "we're returning to our roots on this one," or "this one's heavier," it means absolutely nothing.
Sadly I agree with this... I refuse to get overly excited about anything but the actual music. I'm really glad that there's some news on the band and that there's a new album coming, whether it be a decent album or another PL/Iconoclast. I expected them to take a few more years.

Wow, this is strange. My understanding of the "sound" thing is totally different i guess. Do you like the keyboard solo tones in TDWOT? Or the drum tone on The Odyssey? When it comes to the sound, i look to the overall effect of it on me. The classic SX albums are more appealing to me also, but not soundwise.

That's very true, the latest albums sound way much better than the previous. Iconoclast and Paradise Lost have little diversity in keyboards sounds, but the production is totally on another level (drums and guitars in particular).

With this said, the "little bit of everything" makes me think of Paradise Lost, that album actually had it.

I wouldn't put PL and IC in the same category personally. As LavagesOfTime put it, PL is a self-inspirational album, that is very much inspired from SX's former catalog. I don't listen to it very much either. But Iconoclast is way more inventive. Its sound production is much more intense and clean. I like TDWOT and V's compositions way better, but i prefer the band to sort of follow IC's sound character. If all the compositions had been as epic and metal as the song Iconoclast, the album would be an epic legend now IMO.

I'll be thrilled if Russ just goes back to actually singing, instead of the 'gruff vocals' or whatever the hell it's called. 2 albums of that got really old after the 2nd song. I'd like more symphonic passages too. You know, like when they were 'Symphony' X.