SX new album update

I think Russ does the "gruff" voice because he CAN'T actually sing anymore...

... You're move Russell. Go ahead, prove us wrong.

Well, certainly voices change with age but I don't think Russ has lost his singing voice. I think he simply prefers the gruff/aggressive singing now. So be it. He surely doesn't need to prove anything to me or anyone else. I just prefer the melodic qualities of his voice and their music that, I thought, were their 'signature'. If they prefer the style they've shown in the last 2 albums that's their choice. My choice will be to not buy it. Everyone's happy.

PL and IC are crushed so heavily in the dynamics that they're nearly unlistenable to me.

Yea I must agree with that.

If you think some prog metal albums from the past, the production was part of the bands "original sound". For example the first few POS albums had woody and punchy bass tone and guitars were bright and pretty thin. That just made the songs more memorable in my opinion.

Also TiO and V have their own kind of sound, some might say its bad production but atleast everything is not boosted up like in PL and IC.

Russ singing with Trans Siberian Orchestra proves that he can still sing. I like hearing a little of the rougher voice, adds a little bit of variety. Singing the same way all the time gets boring.

V has no bad sound, it is great. But if we talk about the dynamics, TIO is the instant winner, because of the drumming and the concrete sound. Especially the drumming is very generic and predictable and never distract. In the song Iconoclast, the drumming, guitar solo etc. are very much out of the dynamics, that they have THE BEST impact in the band's discography IMO. They create their own dynamics of course as you listen many times, but everytime i listen to that song, they still amaze me.

As for Russ' singing, it fits to PL's "forced" and "dirty" sound. But it also fits to Iconoclast's spacious sound. His cleans just sound tired, and it is most probably a temporary situation, that can happen to lots of professional singers.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-to-begin-recording-new-album-this-week/

"Stylistically, it's not as heavy as 'Iconoclast' was. If I had to compare, I would say that it's a combination of 'The Odyssey' and 'Paradise Lost' — something in there. It has a lot of classic Symphony X elements in it, which I think a lot of our fans were missing for a few years. So I think our fans will really like this one. It really just focuses on solid songwriting."

We shall see if there's truth to this of if it's just your basic promo talk.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-x-to-begin-recording-new-album-this-week/

"Stylistically, it's not as heavy as 'Iconoclast' was. If I had to compare, I would say that it's a combination of 'The Odyssey' and 'Paradise Lost' — something in there. It has a lot of classic Symphony X elements in it, which I think a lot of our fans were missing for a few years. So I think our fans will really like this one. It really just focuses on solid songwriting."

We shall see if there's truth to this of if it's just your basic promo talk.

All I'm hoping for is less screaming and more singing.

Basic promo talk: "this is heaver than our previous records"

This is like the opposite of that: less heavy. Acknowledging that previous records were missing something. No talk about epic riffs or whatever, but solid songwriting. I believe his words. Not saying it will be another Symphony X classic, but I expect something that's at least at Iconoclast's level. I'm allowing myself to get excited now!

Great fucking news.

The only thing that gives me SOME hope is that typical promo talk, as mentioned above already, is usually "this album is heaviest than ever before" talk. Also, the focus on describing it as focusing on good songwriting above all else instead of the typical "riffage fest" we have gotten the last couple of albums. It also helps that these words are coming from LePond as I have for some reason always thought of him as the most honest and humble of the bunch and has always seemed to have the same musical tastes as me (he was the only member who mentioned V being his favorite album for instance).

Even so, I am still not letting myself get too worked up or overly excited on this album because I would rather not and be pleasantly surprised instead of getting hyped only for it not to ever meet my hyped expectations. I have to at LEAST wait for a single to let myself see if it will be worth having any real excitement...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/symphony-xs-new-album-will-really-please-the-bands-old-fans/

LePond comments on the upcoming album again:

"I think this album is not gonna be as heavy as our last one, 'Iconoclast'. If I had to compare this one, I would say it's a combination of 'The Odyssey' meets 'Paradise Lost'. It has a lot of classic Symphony X elements in it, and I think our old fans are really gonna appreciate this one. So we're really excited about it. And hopefully we can get it all recorded by the end of the year and then hopefully get it released early spring."

"It wasn't a conscious decision to go back to the older sound; it just kind of happened. That's the way we write songs. We just start writing songs, and wherever it takes us, it takes us. But there's a lot of really cool, classic Symphony X things in there. It's very, very musical. It concentrates just more on solid songs and great melodies."

Certainly sounds nice.

Melodies. That was what was missing

Hahaha, my God, it`s real circus of moaning. This forum should be called "Pure 'trvfanning'" with description "Wanna bitch about some new albums? You`re tired of bands changing directions and not repeating themselves over and over again? This is place just for you!"

Am I the only one who thinks that the interviewer was pretty bad? He didn`t ask about so many things like "What do you mean by classical SX influences?"; "How long this album will be?"; "What`s the average length of new songs?"; "Will we hear an instrumental?"; "Is this another concept album?"; "What lyrics are about?"; "Is Michael Romeo again the only composer of the songs?"; "Is the cover of the album made by the same guy as the last two?"; "Will we hear another pieces of classical music in the new album?"; "When will you release this Fanclub CD?" and so on.

Hahaha, my God, it`s real circus of moaning. This forum should be called "Pure 'trvfanning'" with description "Wanna bitch about some new albums? You`re tired of bands changing directions and not repeating themselves over and over again? This is place just for you!"

Yep, I agree. With a sign like that, folks like you might not bother coming in.

Rock on my metalhead friend, I only listen to albums released after 2005 myself. Non-triggered drums just sound so lame to me. :kickass:

Trapsmaster.. i cant help but think you need a hug. Ill give you one.

But really, i DO get your frustration. BTW, the hug offer still stands.

Am I the only one who thinks that the interviewer was pretty bad? He didn`t ask about so many things like "What do you mean by classical SX influences?"; "How long this album will be?"; "What`s the average length of new songs?"; "Will we hear an instrumental?"; "Is this another concept album?"; "What lyrics are about?"; "Is Michael Romeo again the only composer of the songs?"; "Is the cover of the album made by the same guy as the last two?"; "Will we hear another pieces of classical music in the new album?"; "When will you release this Fanclub CD?" and so on.

Which is more bunz?

People who bitch about a band's "nu" direction, or
People who bitch about people who bitch about a band's "nu" direction?

BTW, just to feed the troll a bit, I'll state that there are examples of bands ditching their "sound" and it sounding great. Ulver. Ulver started out in basically black metal, and went through rock, avant garde, electronic, pop, folk, jazz, I have no idea what they'll do next. But it's always good.

Anathema too. Totally dumped their original style, and the new style is better.

In the case of SX, that just isn't the case. The new style is radio-friendly metalcore. It seems you're just pissed that there are a bunch of people dissatisfied with that here. You probably aren't even into the band. Which is fine, I hardly am either anymore.