Symp X New Album/Lack Of!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

proulxski

Welcome To Kanata Eh!
====== 24.MAY.04 ======
SYMPHONY X ENTERS THE STUDIO
The band is now entering the studio to write their next cd, and will be giving bi-monthly (or so) studio reports with news and pictures as the writing process progresses.

====== 01.AUG.04 ======
STUDIO REPORT
The band is currently splitting time between writing material for the new cd, and some solo project work. Mike Pinnella's solo cd is just about complete, and Russell Allen's solo cd is currently being recorded. A more comprehensive studio report will be posted once they are able to focus solely on the writing.

====== 13.SEP.04 ======
STUDIO UPDATE
The band is still splitting time between writing the new Symphony X cd, and recording Russ' solo cd (which is being recorded entirely in 'The Dungeon'). Russ' cd should be recorded and mixed by October, at which time they'll concentrate on writing, and then recording the new Symphony X cd.

At this time they anticipate the new cd to be ready for release sometime next spring.

====== 20.DEC.04 ======
STUDIO UPDATE
As Russ' solo cd was taking quite a bit longer than anticipated, & Mike Romeo was anxious to get going full force on the new Symphony X cd, they both agreed that Russ would take his solo effort to another studio to complete the mixing. Russ is looking for a certain sound & said that Mike "made the music sound too good"; Russ should be finishing up the final mix in the following week or so. In the meantime, MJR has begun working in earnest on the new Symphony X cd with help from the other band members; we'll have more information here as it becomes available.

STUDIO UPDATE
Due to unforeseen delays, Russ' solo cd is just now in the mixing process; once it's done (2 weeks max), the band will go from part time writing to full time writing of the new cd. They're still anticipating a release date somewhere around spring of 2005; the release date of Russ' solo cd is currently up in the air.

As for the new material, they're trying to decide what the overall tone for the cd will be, & are contemplating a darker theme, while staying true to the SymX sound.

====== 12.FEB.05 ======
STUDIO UPDATE
They're working at a good pace on writing the new cd, they have parts of songs put together at this point that are equal to about half of the new cd, & have lots of ideas that they're working with. They're being very critical with this cd, wanting to kick it up a notch from The Odyssey & make it the best stuff yet; thus far they're working with material from MJR, Pinnella & LePond. Mike sounded really intent on cranking out some excellent music; he's in 'the writing zone', & only good things come of it when he's in that mindset.

When informed that some fans feared that Mike's comment in an earlier studio report about the new cd being 'darker' than The Odyssey would result in Russ doing death metal growls or the like, Mike said that wasn't going to happen.

Also, 'the dungeon' (the band's studio) has recently been gutted and totally revamped & is at its best ever acoustically, which should help contribute to some excellent sound on the new cd.

More news as it becomes available...

====== 29.APR.05 ======
STUDIO UPDATE
MJR has written almost 2 hours worth of music, & is now taking the time to find the right song title and lyrical content for each song. Each song has a certain feel to it, so it's important to make sure the lyrics reflect that feel. The 'darker' tone that they're aiming for which has been mentioned in previous studio reports will apply more to the orchestration and the lyrical content than the vocals, for those who continue to muse over the likelihood of Russell doing death metal growls. Much of that dark tone would lend itself to ghostly or horror themes (they're tossing around such ideas as Paradise Lost, and the works of Edgar Allan Poe, for example), but MJR says nothing is definite as far as lyrics go. He's also working on fine tuning the orchestration for the 'longer song', which also has a darker feel to it; that said, he wants it to be clear that it will not be 'an epic' like The Odyssey. One major aim throughout the writing process is making sure that the cd remains true to the Symphony X style, and kick things up a notch as well, without it sounding just like music they've done before; "I want to be excited about the music, so I know the fans will be excited about it" he said.

More info as it becomes available.

====== 16.NOV.05 ======
STUDIO UPDATE FROM MJR
Here is an update as to how things are going...

Well, it's November and we have most of the music written, and about half the lyrics finished. Over the next month, we'll work out the arrangements and start putting it all together. This one is taking a bit longer than we expected. There was a lot of 'starting and stopping' with the writing, (between the tours and other unexpected things happening... like flooded studios, that kinda crap). So there have been some monkey-wrenches thrown into our usual way of working.

In the past, it was like this: we'd spend a few weeks talking about some basic ideas and direction for the music / lyrics - then spend eight months to a year writing and putting it all together. Things happen faster that way - you have a goal and direction and you just dedicate your time to make it happen. This time things were a bit different; writing for a while - then on the road - then back to writing - and so on... and inspiration isn't something that you can 'turn on and off', it comes when it comes. You might work on something one day - and like where it is heading - but then stop for a month, come back, and find it difficult to get your mind-set back to the point where you left off. And, although it sounded like a good idea at the time, the phrase "we can write songs on the bus" wasn't happening - too many distractions and other crap going on.

Anyway…to sum it all up, the initial writing process took a little longer than usual - aside from all that, everything else is cool. Things are moving at a good pace now and I'm thinking we can start the actual recording in a month or two.

Once we get to the point where we are tracking – we can get some updates happening (studio reports, some pics, etc.). I know the ‘natives are getting restless’ - but for now, there isn’t a whole lot to say… just tell everyone to hang in there!

MJR

Well now, I took the liberty of going into the archives and pulling out all the news-updates on the new album... So lets piece to gether what we know so far...

-No death metal growls from Russell Allen

-Their new album is aiming at a darker genre (ghostly/horror)

-The production of the Album is being done in a updated MJR dungeon

-As of november (according to MJR) most of the written is done, and the lyrics are about haly way done.

-Their will be a 'long' track...but do not expect an Epic such as 'The Odyssey'

-Aiming for a 'Spring' Release (March/April)

... Well thats about all we know, their new album is going to be dark,heavy and passionate according to Russell Allen (if i'm not mistaken) It bothers me slightly that way back in May-04, in the Studio Updates they said we'd get some news on the album Bi-Monthly (or so)... I believe the last Update from Romeo himself was not even following the bi-montly rules...According to my math skills we should of had another updat on january-16th! But since the 'OR SO' is in their and I'm not a big ass lol...I'm going to assume they meant approximately...

The more I look at it, MJR's Update, allthough refreshing really told us nothing differ from what we allready knew... All MJR did was assure us the Album was almost complete and would soon start visiting the studio. "Recording in a month or two" "Send some pics ect once we begin tracking"

I know everyone is as excited and ancy as I am...and I'm not trying to rush the progress...I just noticed that everything they've said in these so called 'Studio Updates' are worthless...since three quarters of them are repetative now becomming redundant, and the 1 quarter that is otherwise is false... The way I see it their should be another update before the end of January, probably tellling us nothing! (although I could be wrong) all I know is we where told a bi-monthly (approx) update...and the last update from MJR was November-16th...in his update he said in a month or two they will start recording... meaning at this point they should be in the middle of the recording process...

All this being said...where are the updates? the pics... maybe an album name? :( Probably asking for to much at this point in time! But if everything they have said here is true...This new album is comming out in a month or two, and we know absolutely nothing about it! (other than the fact that it will probably kick loads of ass) + I would just love to see some pics of the band in the studio...(which we should have allready recieved or be recieving very soon)... (sigh..Or their better be anyway...) Well now that I got all that off more shoulders, what does everyone expect to see on the new album? (or hear)

This lull has certainly gotten me "off" of SX for quite a while now. But I don't view that as a bad thing. I needed some time to get caught up on other material, of which there is plenty out there. I'm sure that just when I need a new album to dive into for six months or so, SX will deliver...

Would anyone really want SX to rush the new album at the expense of quality just to have it sooner than later? I wouldnt.

I think that all this time will be useful to make a great album! I hope that after this album they'll come to Italy as headliners and release a wonderful DVD with a lot of special features :)

Emanuele said:
I think that all this time will be useful to make a great album! I hope that after this album they'll come to Italy as headliners and release a wonderful DVD with a lot of special features :)

I'd just like to see them come to Detroit again and play a venue that won't cut their set short. That has happened the last 2 times I saw them. :mad:

proulxski said:
The more I look at it, MJR's Update, allthough refreshing really told us nothing differ from what we allready knew...

And as we've told you a gazillion times, when there's something new to be told, it'll be told..right now, it's just more of the same. The solo cd stuff and Gigantour, as well as attending to their personal lives (OMG god forbid they might dare to have a life, eh?) threw them WAY out of their usual writing groove & they're trying to settle back into it; they're as anxious to get the damn thing done as you are, trust me. Writing a cd for them is usually a many-months-long process, but they were thrown all out of sync more than once along the way by the various other things that came up. Pissing & moaning about it isn't going to make it happen any sooner, sorry to tell ya. The writing/recording process is often a quiet time, that's just how it goes..we get this crap with EVERY cd, & I apologize if I sound a bit cranky (nothing personal), but it gets damn old after a while. The cd will be done when it's done and there will be news shared when there's news to share, so take a deep breath & try to be patient.

Eternal Dragon said:
Other bands seem to rush their stuff cos its done on time, but I dont see other bands with each and every song as good as the last one if not better. I love ALL of Symphony X's stuff which is why they are my fav band.

Agreed. I'm happy they're not rushing stuff out like Dream Theater has been doing lately.

So, i love symphony x and i think they have never made a bad album (though the first disc had some horrific moments). That said, i kind of hope this one turns out horrible, because it would be so funny to see the immesurable ammount of bitching on the forum. "We were promised an album in late 2005, then it came out a year later and was nu metal!" HAH! Priceless.

But seriously folks, it's gonna kick ass when it comes out. Remember, the band doesn't owe any of you shit, so they can post stuff that came from the retards at the nearest downs syndrome clinic if they choose. Stop being prog snobs :D

Yeah same here i love ToT but hate Octavarium.

As for SyX I hope they take the time they need for the album, although thats no reason for never posting any updates and stuff like that.

:Smug:

Jesus Christ, what do you guys want to hear?

"Today I wrote down an F# on paper, then I went to enter it into the computer but got sidetracked when I started to play solitaire, then I picked my nose..."

If the status of the new Symphony X concerns you so much, I'd hate to see you when you have a mortgage to pay and kids to feed.

I don't mind that it seems to be taking a while. Waiting will just cause more anticipation, which will make me even more happy when I get my hands on the new album. Waiting (and people's impatience...myself included) will eventually be beneficial, since it will make the day of the album's release better.

It's been an even longer wait for the Tool fans. Lateralus came out in 2001. But I'm sure the new album will be great. Same with Symphony X.

I think I can safely say that there are 2 types of Symphony X fans here on this forum. The Kind that Care too much about the new album and everyone else. Im not directing this at anybody specifically, but Im just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.