Symphony X Aussie fans unite

I wouldn’t say we are the strongest by a long shot - a band like slayer can sell out in a day, but bands like testament and nevermore had to be cancelled due to poor ticket sales. Our scene, while strong in areas (eg. relatively commercial metal bands – slayer, fear factory, opeth, arch enemy) lacks in other more obscure areas. I don’t see prog or power metal being overly popular over here…

Their website.

However, they will not be doing sydney or melbourne... they will be doing perth, adelaide and brisbane. As for darwin... wtf?!

すみません

Where was this mentioned? And when do you think we'll get some solid dates? I missed BG because i couldn't be bothered driving 8 hours from canberra. They better not skip Sydney like BG because that's flat out stupid.

すみません

Where was this mentioned? And when do you think we'll get some solid dates? I missed BG because i couldn't be bothered driving 8 hours from canberra. They better not skip Sydney like BG because that's flat out stupid.

Haha... I was just messing dude. Infact, it's always the exact opposite, usually bands will just do Melbourne and Sydney, because population = ticket sales.

Yeah, it was fucking gay Nevermore cancelled. I would have bought a ticket myself, except I never heard word they were coming here until I heard they cancelled.

It's all in promotion really. I know there would be a pretty decent turnout to a Symphony X show... obviously not as big as a show in the east, or as big as a Slayer show, but a good one nonetheless. Especially with their latest album being heavier and appealing more to general heavy metal fans, they would probably pull a bigger turnout than would have been expected before that album. They would also get more pull based on what national and/or local support is chosen.

Of course, Slayer sold out in one day with no local promotion except for on one internet forum... mostly because EVERYONE knows Slayer, and people here have basically been waiting for the tickets to go on sale. I also heard half of the tickets were sold on presale to credit card customers the days before they went on sale.

@fire_angel again: Yeah, it's a shame you missed BG... I would have flown over for them if I actually had enough money. I know BG was sorely missed over here, because I know of about 10-20 people who were pissed they didnt do a full tour, and people who did fly over.

@CttN: Well, yeah you're from NZ it seems, but prog metal isn't THAT strong in Perth/Australia, but it's got damn good potential, and is rising recently too. You should have seen the turnouts to the John Petrucci clinic and Mike Portnoy signings. Fucking huge.
I got to the Portnoy signing an hour and a half early, and that's basically the only reason I got anything signed, because the signing was 1 hour only, and by the time it started, the store (Kosmic Cannington) was packed inside, and the line that went out the door was pretty massive too.
That's just the people who bothered to show up to it, or knew about it, since it once again, was only promoted online by a forum, and the store about a week before it happened.

Also, in the line before the Petrucci clinic, I did happen to over hear a conversation between a few people... "Symphony X vs. Dream Theater", and the general consensus was most of the preferred SymX. ;)

Im not saying Dream theater wouldnt pull a massive crowd, and symphony X would probably go close to filling the capitol, but there is a reason alot of bands dont do perth. Money is the biggest factor - because we are so fucking far away from the eastern states, bands need to be entirely sure that they are going to make enough money from the gig to pay for the extra expences. Having said this, more and more bands are making the trip over (to perth and australia in general) so things are looking up! :headbang:

We should all be thankful we don't live in Hobart or Darwin, no-one goes there. G3 had to be moved from the Entertainment Centre to Thebarton Theatre because of poor ticket sales, mind you, it wasn't promoted that heavily either.

Pantera played Thebby in 2001 and the place was packed, but i very much doubt they would have filled the Entercentre. I think promoters expectations are too high in some instances as far as venues are concerned, but some decent promotion for bands wouldn't hurt either. A couple of ads in the Sunday paper just doesn't cut it.

The Brisbane metal scene is huge. We can easily pull 300 people to a good prog night with just local bands, so I can only imagine what Symphony X would be like. I actually used to think there wasnt much of a scene, but the term underground is definately appropriate. CttN, maybe there actually is a NZ scene but it just hasnt been discovered yet.

The Brisbane metal scene is huge. We can easily pull 300 people to a good prog night with just local bands, so I can only imagine what Symphony X would be like. I actually used to think there wasnt much of a scene, but the term underground is definately appropriate. CttN, maybe there actually is a NZ scene but it just hasnt been discovered yet.
I think there may be, they just tend to hide :p I actually know quite a few people that like Symphony X and other proggy kinds of things, but it's not what I'd call a scene. Or maybe I just don't know about it because it's no girlz allowed :(

We should all be thankful we don't live in Hobart or Darwin, no-one goes there. G3 had to be moved from the Entertainment Centre to Thebarton Theatre because of poor ticket sales, mind you, it wasn't promoted that heavily either.

Pantera played Thebby in 2001 and the place was packed, but i very much doubt they would have filled the Entercentre. I think promoters expectations are too high in some instances as far as venues are concerned, but some decent promotion for bands wouldn't hurt either. A couple of ads in the Sunday paper just doesn't cut it.

I only found out about G3 at the last minute cos I happened to surf past Joe Satriani's site, but in the end I was glad it moved, I think Thebby is a much nicer venue. I reckon it would be the ideal venue for Symphony X as well...

Speaking of aussie scenes, etc... Vanishing Point from Melbourne are pretty sweet.

@progmetalpilgrim: I got pics of herman ree's top secret, sound enhancement pedal... you want? :p

I only found out about G3 at the last minute cos I happened to surf past Joe Satriani's site, but in the end I was glad it moved, I think Thebby is a much nicer venue. I reckon it would be the ideal venue for Symphony X as well...
I didn't make it to G3 but my brothers girlfriend and her son went and they said it was great!

Alice Cooper is playing Thebby in July, i would have thought he'd be able to pack the Entercentre but I'm not the booking agent.