Symphony X's future

Didn't do it for the money. Haha. That's funny. Why sign a recording deal then?

And touring enough has little to do with album sales these days. Saying they don't release enough albums might be a better angle to take. Just look how many people on this forum lose interest in the band in the five years between albums...

And touring enough has little to do with album sales these days. Saying they don't release enough albums might be a better angle to take. Just look how many people on this forum lose interest in the band in the five years between albums...

Touring accounts for much of the profit bands make. Record sales don't. It's pretty simple.

It almost sounds as if they can't try anything different without going from prog metal messiahs to evil money-grabbers lol. I doubt SX was thinking of a master plan to get more money when they decided to make Paradise Lost and Iconoclast. That's just silly.

Also, why would anyone complain about Adrenaline Mob? It's a side-project, a different thing altogether, why would it be the same? Even making a side project they get complains :p

So you have to remain an unsigned bedroom musician in order to be considered as someone who isn't doing it just for the money?

Surely you can come up with a better argument man.

Concerning re-recording the Odyssey...

What they should do is... find a director who wants to make a sequal to Troy and then do all the music for the Odyssey and re-record the Odyssey with a full orchestra.

Then Romeo could also compose the rest of the music for the movie and it would be EPIC. Nuff said. (Should probably make a thread concerning this to get some HYPE).

As far as Russell and Romeo not liking the Odyssey, I don't think that is true. Because they spent hours and hours writing that song. Quite honestly it's quite probably their greatest accomplishment in their eyes. Not sure.

Michael Pinella told me his favorite albums were V and Paradise Lost.

As far as re-recording other albums... it would be cool to do like a greatest hits re-recorded. That would be sick!

But their main concern is getting Jason back to health right now I am sure.

As far as re-recording other albums... it would be cool to do like a greatest hits re-recorded. That would be sick!

I've never really understood the need for Greatest Hits albums. Even if they were re-recorded, who's to say the instrumentation wouldn't change? Personally, I think Miller's work on the early albums is perfect as is, and it just wouldn't feel right to have him recorded over by LePond (live is another story, of course). Not to mention, I doubt Russ could pull off some of the notes on stuff like Candlelight Fantasia nowadays. And they probably wouldn't even include the epics on it.

I think the idea for re-recording the Odyssey is great, though.

The Odyssey came out 10 years ago. Re-recording their recent albums because somebody got the mastering, guitar compression, or bass tone a little bit off is ridiculous. I'm all for updating really old tracks every now and again if a significant adjustment is made (i.e. a new singer), but rehashing a great album just because some fans listen with the ears of sound technicians is a waste of time.

Let's get a live album with tracks from The Odyssey and keep moving forward. Continually re-recording old material is like admitting that you have no new ideas. It's Indiana Jones 4, you guys. No one needs that.

I do agree about Portnoy's playing, but I think he'd be perfect to fill in for a few live shows. On an album? Never. I think Mark Zonder would be great, but he's getting up there. Ugh, enough of this, I'm annoyed at myself for discussing replacements already. Best of luck to Rullo and his recovery, I hope he gets well soon.

Mathiäs;10560633 said:
First off, I'm an old member here, and don't post here much anymore because there isn't much activity anymore. But, I wanted to bring something up and see if I'm the only one who shares this opinion.

I think the past two Symphony X albums have been poor (now, before you jump all over me, I'll still listen to them over almost any other band, but they've been poor by the astronomical standards in which I judge Symphony X). Paradise Lost was decent and had some great moments, but it wasn't close to a total classic like The Odyssey, V, etc. The latest album isn't good. I liked the title track; nearly everything else seems bland and boring. I'm worried about their future. I'm not informed about their record sales or anything like that, so I could be wrong, but I don't see them lasting very long if they keep making albums like that. I would be surprised if their fanbase has increased much over the past several years.

I'm of the opinion Romeo may need some help with the songwriting. Maybe some new faces in the band as well. Or maybe their time has come and gone; Dream Theater and Opeth (my other two favorite prog bands) seem to be in a similar positions as well.

What do you guys think? Am in the minority here or not?
You're absolutely right on all counts. Opeth has fallen hard with so many key band members having been replaced, and SX, while retaining all the important figures, has opted to play it safe. While this may increase commercial sales, it will not pay off in the long run when the band seeks their place among the giants of music history. A fresh reinvention is the only path open to remaining relevant.

Dead Reckoning is Threshold's first album on Nuclear Blast and it's way heavier (speaking of both production and sngwriting) than any previous release. March Of Progress is a bit less heavy but much more complex and progressive.

Neither one was anywhere near as good as Subsurface, Critical Mass, or Hypothetical.

Concerning re-recording the Odyssey...

Even if they would re-record Odyssey again there's always gonna be someone not 100% happy with the product. :)

You guys do know that remixing/remastering and re-recording are two entirely different things right?

I have no need to change my argument. You're looking at it from a completely different angle than I am. Shift your paradigm and you'll see the point.

Not asking you to change your argument, just to give a good one. "You just don't get it" is not one btw.

Either they adopted a heavier style in the last 2-3 albums because it's something they musically wanted to do, or they did it purely to gain money. I can assure you that in this case the former is true. I don't think I need to shift my paradigm. I understand both types of motivations. i.e. I understand what making music (and charging for it) is like (I did it), and I understand what pure business is like (I study it). You on the other hand are seeing it only from the business paradigm so perhaps it's you who needs to realize that not everything here is necessarily a business decision.

Yes, I do know they are two different things, but someone mentioned re-recording... I didn't say anything about the re-mastering.

Neither one was anywhere near as good as Subsurface, Critical Mass, or Hypothetical.

I would say March of Progress is at least as good if not better than anything else the band has put out. Of course that's just my opinion, but the album is just excellent all the way through.

In the other hand, it´s just my opinion, but I think MP and SX are just incompatible. That doesn´t mean I think it´s an impossible. But meh, I´d prefer to bring back Wailing.

From everything I've read and seen Mike Portnoy would incompatible with a lot of people. James Labrie and Jordan Rudess said some things that indicated that they were enjoying not having him around. Rudess said of writing and recording the last album that it was nice not having to run every idea through the "Dream Theater police." By his own admission, Portnoy didn't speak to John Myung for the last two years he was in DT.

He seems like he has a good heart and is a nice guy, but he's also a workaholic and control freak. That wouldn't mesh with the glacial pace SX works at in the long run. But as a short term replacement for Jason to play the shows currently scheduled. Perfect choice.

Hopefully Jason fully recovers and get back to doing what he does best.

Also, why would anyone complain about Adrenaline Mob? It's a side-project, a different thing altogether, why would it be the same? Even making a side project they get complains :p

My only fear is that Adrenaline Mob gets big and Russel Allen leaves SX.

I wouldn't want them to re-record The Odyssey; just remaster it. The bass is too buried in the mix and the overall sound is simply flat. I'm no sound engineer, but I suspect that it's not too difficult to fix that.

If anything, the only thing that needs re-recording is the debut, due mostly to the lack of Russ. Even then, I'd rather see just a few songs re-recorded and used as bonus tracks (as Masquerade was) as opposed to the entire album. As Eyeball Kid said, redoing the whole album would make it seem like they were running out of ideas.

At this point, though, part of me would rather have them re-record the entire debut than do another "we r supr agresive metul" Iconoclast. However, part of me seriously doubts that they have it in them to write another progressive record. If When All Is Lost is any indication, they've lost the songwriting magic that produced tracks like Communion, Candlelight, Accolade, etc.

The biggest problem I see is that Pinnella, LePond, and Rullo are no longer part of the songwriting process; those three were responsible for some of the best moments on V and The Odyssey. I get the impression that aside from Paradise Lost's title track, the last two albums were written entirely by Romeo as he sat in his basement and fiddled around with guitars. Some great songs came out of it, but after a while, the music all starts to sound the same because it is written by one guy.

By his own admission, Portnoy didn't speak to John Myung for the last two years he was in DT.

You sure that isn't backwards? :p I could see Myung not speaking to anyone for two years...

I didn't know that, though. In that case, I'm quite glad Portnoy's gone; DT needs more Myung, stat.

As Eyeball Kid said, redoing the whole album would make it seem like they were running out of ideas.

Well they clearly are if Iconoclast is any indication. And it's because of:

The biggest problem I see is that Pinnella, LePond, and Rullo are no longer part of the songwriting process; those three were responsible for some of the best moments on V and The Odyssey.

This. How can a keyboardist be exempt from the writing process? Especially with Pinnella's talent. Such a waste.